• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EvilRbt
    replied
    Re: The Screenplay Mechanic (EvilRbt)

Originally posted by montevideo View Post
    Andrew,

I know your journey was as tough as the next guy and there's still lots to do to get where you need to be.

With that said, give us some advice or dead HONEST insight into your approach in getting your stuff made.

Were you aggressive in your pursuit? How many sleepless nights did you have per week, seriously? Worrying is a big part of being patient,if that makes sense, while the powers that be make a move on your stuff.

Did you have a mentor? Or someone that believed in your work?

thanks, would be great to get a no nonsense answer.
    I don't want to get deep into my war stories here. I typically only share those over a few beers.

Everyone's path to success is different. For some, it's a quick and relatively easy journey. For others, it's a long hard slog. So much depends on luck, timing, representation, market climate, etc.

Alas, I fall into the latter camp. If this was the NBA, I'd be considered a journeyman. I wrote THE LOST PATROL in 1999. I wrote BULLET RUN in 2005. Both bounced from producer to producer, director to director, option to option, $1 to $1... Now BULLET RUN seems very likely to get made, THE LOST PATROL less so. Each project has a long history behind it but, again, I don't want to get too deep into it. Not in this thread anyway.

To answer your specific questions... No, I wasn't as aggressive as I should have been -- left too much up to ineffective reps. Yes, I've had sleepless nights (ALL writers do). No mentor, but a very close director friend whom I trust implicitly.

I should also point out that I've been less focused on writing in recent years and more focused on producing.

The secret to success IMO? Write a great script and don't ever give up. Sounds easy doesn't it? It's not.

Leave a comment:

• montevideo
    replied

Andrew,

I know your journey was as tough as the next guy and there's still lots to do to get where you need to be.

With that said, give us some advice or dead HONEST insight into your approach in getting your stuff made.

Were you aggressive in your pursuit? How many sleepless nights did you have per week, seriously? Worrying is a big part of being patient,if that makes sense, while the powers that be make a move on your stuff.

Did you have a mentor? Or someone that believed in your work?

thanks, would be great to get a no nonsense answer.

Leave a comment:

• Writerperson12
    replied

You are all kinds of amazing, sir.

Hopefully I'll actually finish a script for you to read before you give that up.

Leave a comment:

• EvilRbt
    replied

Originally posted by montevideo View Post
    On a side note

Andrew wondering what's your take on kill bill's structure or a similar structured script (jumping back and forth)?
    The "rules" are different for filmmakers like Tarantino. In other words, he can get away with techniques and devices you and I cannot.

That said, a non-linear structure can work brilliantly. It simply depends on the individual story and which structural style makes for a better movie.

Leave a comment:

• montevideo
    replied

On a side note

Andrew wondering what's your take on kill bill's structure or a similar structured script (jumping back and forth)?

congrats
    Last edited by montevideo; 06-29-2011, 04:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• darkestbeforedawn
    replied

What's even more hilarious is the fact that 'people' shout out to the sky -- NEVER pay for notes! This guy charges 75 dollars for crying out loud.

I can't even get a bagel and cream cheese in nyc and a cab ride home for that.

DBD

Leave a comment:

• RGF
    replied

Congratulations!! Great news!

Leave a comment:

• Richmond Weems
    replied

Congratulations!

HH

Leave a comment:

• instant_karma
    replied

Awesome news. Congrats.

Leave a comment:

• Centurio
    replied

Will you marry me?

Leave a comment:

• cshel
    replied

Congrats, Andrew!

Leave a comment:

• Jules
    replied

Congrats

Leave a comment:

• EvilRbt
    replied

Fear not, I'm still reading for now...

http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/rob-...in-the-desert/

Leave a comment:

• ChiliP
    replied

(Very) long time lurker, first time poster.

I've been involved in the industry for a few years now - a smattering of credits, a few projects which have fallen through the cracks - and have dealt with a variety of readers and reader services along the way. I've never come across anyone who takes the job as seriously as Andrew.

Andrew covered two of my scripts. Not only did he return the coverage earlier than promised, but his notes were comprehensive, spot on, and peppered with detail. I could tell immediately there was no skimming or glossing.

I can not tell you how many times I've received coverage where major details regarding character or plot were incorrect in the synopsis. And, as we all know, if the reader is missing major plot points in the synopsis, the coverage is more or less rendered irrelevant. Not so with Andrew. The synopsis for both scripts was on the money. He saw everything. Themes, subplots, all of it. Again, the attention to detail was not only appreciated, but validated the work.

In short, if you are looking to have your work covered, you should look no further. When using a service, I've found that too often you are beholden to the tastes of the reader as opposed to a reader who looks at each work on its individual merits. There are no such concerns with Andrew.

Lastly, I'd like to congratulate Andrew for his appearance in this month's Script Magazine. The article not only contains quotes from Andrew on the importance of having your work covered, but also lists him as one of the top coverage experts in the industry. Well done and well deserved!

Leave a comment:

• LeadSolo
    replied

Once again, Andrew's insight proved valuable. Went with his services earlier in the process than I normally would, with a two day old first draft. Called me on my BS, and offered salient story points to dwell on. Saved me hours of staring at the flashing cursor for the rewrite.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X