X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Screenplay Mechanic (EvilRbt)

Originally posted by EvilRbt View Post
    I don't want to get deep into my war stories here. I typically only share those over a few beers.

Everyone's path to success is different. For some, it's a quick and relatively easy journey. For others, it's a long hard slog. So much depends on luck, timing, representation, market climate, etc.

Alas, I fall into the latter camp. If this was the NBA, I'd be considered a journeyman. I wrote THE LOST PATROL in 1999. I wrote BULLET RUN in 2005. Both bounced from producer to producer, director to director, option to option, $1 to $1... Now BULLET RUN seems very likely to get made, THE LOST PATROL less so. Each project has a long history behind it but, again, I don't want to get too deep into it. Not in this thread anyway.

To answer your specific questions... No, I wasn't as aggressive as I should have been -- left too much up to ineffective reps. Yes, I've had sleepless nights (ALL writers do). No mentor, but a very close director friend whom I trust implicitly.

I should also point out that I've been less focused on writing in recent years and more focused on producing.

The secret to success IMO? Write a great script and don't ever give up. Sounds easy doesn't it? It's not.
    THANKS! with caps.

Stick with it cause you never know. I guess most writers including myself are on a rocky ride between should I shelf this story or keep fighting for it when no one or someone believes in it or wants to be a part of the journey.

Producing is great, less lonely days and nights staring at a monitor.

keep it moving

Comment

I don't get to the forum much anymore, but I still use Andrew's services. Great to hear of his success. He deserves every bit. I have sent three scripts through the mechanic, and I'll second or third once again that he's got the talent. In fact, I predict he will make one helluva producer because he seems to have an uncanny ability to sniff out story and make your script better.

I just finished signing a contract with producers for a spec Andrew just read and gave feedback on. With his help, I am 2 out of 3 for specs getting picked up by production companies over the last 18 months.

I found him here on DDP. Do this before he's moved on to bigger and better.

Comment

I'll be here for a few more months at least. BULLET RUN won't shoot until Jan/Feb 2012 and my next film as a producer (COLD) will shoot mid-winter.

I can attest that Andrew recently gave me coverage on my script at the oh-so-reasonable DDP rate. Turnaround was fast. He dished out praise, well-thought-out criticism and suggested fixes in equal measure. He was very helpful in pointing out areas where I wasn't quite sure if it was working or not (and now I know it's not). Book him while you still can!

Comment

I just had Andrew give notes on a script and I am impressed! Nailed what needed to be done and I hopped to it and made the changes. The script is much better as a result.

Pamela Kay
          Nicholl Fellow

Comment

FYI, there's going to be a Little Mechanic arriving in September so if you make a reservation, be aware that her birth could delay me getting to your screenplay by a day or two. I am also accepting clean diapers as payment.

Also, lots of friends and clients have been asking the latest on BULLET RUN. There's not a huge amount to share right now. Rob Cohen is in Cleveland shooting I, ALEX CROSS and will wrap early October. In the meantime, Voltage is about to begin the casting process and will target actors with a franchise in mind. BULLET RUN will most likely shoot next April or so.
            sigpic
            NOTES / COVERAGE
            10,000+ Screenplays
            DD Thread Facebook
            [email protected]

Comment

FYI, there's going to be a Little Mechanic arriving in September so if you make a reservation, be aware that her birth could delay me getting to your screenplay by a day or two. I am also accepting clean diapers as payment.

Also, lots of friends and clients have been asking the latest on BULLET RUN. There's not a huge amount to share right now. Rob Cohen is in Cleveland shooting I, ALEX CROSS and will wrap early October. In the meantime, Voltage is about to begin the casting process and will target actors with a franchise in mind. BULLET RUN will most likely shoot next April or so.

You kid, but I would love to send you guys something. Let know if okay.

Also, understood about any delay because I'm definitely submitting this month, so no worries.

Congratulations again

Comment

congrats

Comment

and will target actors with a franchise in mind.
                  Exactly

Comment

Thanks for the congrats, everyone!

BTW, I'll probably catch up with my workload this week, so barring my wife going into labor the turnaround time will soon be pretty short. If you want me to read your work in Sept, get in touch.

And hey, Simon, get "S.B." finished.
                    sigpic
                    NOTES / COVERAGE
                    10,000+ Screenplays
                    DD Thread Facebook
                    [email protected]

Comment

She's done, mate. Just getting it proofed, should be any day.

Comment

Andrew -

Your wife will probably go into labor on Labor Day, no?

Congrats on your little production! What's the title?
                        "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by niwa View Post
                          She's done, mate. Just getting it proofed, should be any day.
                          Great!
                          sigpic
                          NOTES / COVERAGE
                          10,000+ Screenplays
                          DD Thread Facebook
                          [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by cshel View Post
                            Andrew -

Your wife will probably go into labor on Labor Day, no?

Congrats on your little production! What's the title?
                            Thank you. But alas I'm not permitted to reveal the name until her premiere.
                            sigpic
                            NOTES / COVERAGE
                            10,000+ Screenplays
                            DD Thread Facebook
                            [email protected]

Comment

I thought Rob Cohen was doing 1950 after I, Alex Cross?

Comment

Originally posted by Hilario113 View Post
                                I thought Rob Cohen was doing 1950 after I, Alex Cross?
                                Bullet Run will shoot before 1950.

On a side note, there are some leaked copies of Bullet Run out there. If the story is set in Morocco or China, it's an obsolete draft. Wait to see the Iran version.
                                sigpic
                                NOTES / COVERAGE
                                10,000+ Screenplays
                                DD Thread Facebook
                                [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                                X