This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Screenplay Mechanic (EvilRbt)

I had some serious health issues at the end of the last year and a casualty of that was my 2015 Lugnut List. My sincerest apologies to anyone who submitted during 2015. I had surgery in the new year and had to prioritize a few things and I just never got around to evaluating the 300-350 submissions that year to pick my favorites.

This year, I'm feeling good and as soon as Jan 1st rolls around, I'll put the latest list together. As most of you know, it's mainly for fun, but past clients have had read-requests from producers, agents and managers. I also share the list (which includes loglines if the author permits) with a few producers.

So with that in mind, think about getting on my schedule before the end of the year to qualify for consideration in 2015...
    NOTES / COVERAGE
    15,000+ Screenplays
    [email protected]

Comment

Okay, ya'll, it's been ages since I've been here on DoneDeal, but I need to chime in now(long story that I won't bore ya'll with)to give Drew his "props".

Thanks, Drew, not just for your wonderful critique, but for all that has followed over the last 5 years from one simple script that I sent you!

Midnite

Comment

P.S.

Never underestimate the value of a "Lugnut"!!!!!

Midnite

Comment

Originally posted by Midnite View Post
          ...long story that I won't bore ya'll with...
          I would love to hear the long story

In any case I also give high props to Drew. His comments have been very helpful. Last time around he even graciously accepted evaluating a partial draft of mine (the first 30 pages), which I almost never show at that early stage. But it was a special circumstance. I had an investor ready to come aboard without me having a finishing script, and Drew's positive evaluation helped seal the deal.
          Manfred Lopez Grem
          WGA Writer - Director | Zero Gravity Management

REEL - IMDB

Comment

The long story?

5 years ago I sent Drew a script. He gave me my critique, and at the end of the year a "Lugnut"...Should've been the end of story. I rewrote it and did my "queries"...Had some wonderful responses and the script moved up some major food-chains, but never quite made it. This week, outta nowhere, Drew emailed me asking if it would ok to send the script to someone he knew that was looking for something like it.....It's a quirky low-budget, but the bottom line, is that 5 years later, Drew remembered the script and remembered me.

In other words, it's not just "a job" for him.

Midnite

Comment

I haven't tried any of the other coverage services, but I can attest that Drew is a pleasure to do business with. He offered me some great insight into my script, as well as how it might be received in the industry. Great guy, and I will definitely use his services again!

Comment

Originally posted by Midnite View Post
                The long story?

5 years ago I sent Drew a script. He gave me my critique, and at the end of the year a "Lugnut"...Should've been the end of story. I rewrote it and did my "queries"...Had some wonderful responses and the script moved up some major food-chains, but never quite made it. This week, outta nowhere, Drew emailed me asking if it would ok to send the script to someone he knew that was looking for something like it.....It's a quirky low-budget, but the bottom line, is that 5 years later, Drew remembered the script and remembered me.

In other words, it's not just "a job" for him.

Midnite
                That is a really cool story. Thanks for sharing it. I really hope something happens with your script.
                Manfred Lopez Grem

REEL - IMDB

Comment

For anyone interested, here's the 2016 LUGNUT LIST:

http://www.screenplaymechanic.com/lugnutlist.html
                  NOTES / COVERAGE
                  15,000+ Screenplays
                  [email protected]

Comment

Congrats to the writers on this list. It's something to be proud about.

My goal for next year is to join you.

Comment

Thanks for including my screenplay on your list, Drew!

I really appreciate your help.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilRbt View Post
                        For anyone interested, here's the 2016 LUGNUT LIST:

http://www.screenplaymechanic.com/lugnutlist.html
                        Saw that you only give out 5 considers per year (or about that). What about your other scores?

Comment

Originally posted by Guerilla View Post
                          Saw that you only give out 5 considers per year (or about that). What about your other scores?
                          Maybe 30-40 or so "Consider w/ reservations," which means there were positives in the concept or the writing.

All others were passes.
                          NOTES / COVERAGE
                          15,000+ Screenplays
                          [email protected]

Comment

FYI, I typically get booked 2-3 weeks out but only about 10 days right now.

Book a spot ahead of time, send your work the day before, then receive my report within 24 hours.

[email protected]
                            NOTES / COVERAGE
                            15,000+ Screenplays
                            [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by EvilRbt View Post
                              Maybe 30-40 or so "Consider w/ reservations," which means there were positives in the concept or the writing.

All others were passes.

Wow. Let's do some math. If you review 300 to 350 screenplays a year, that means:

5 "Consider" = 1.4% - 1.7%
                              30-40 "Consider w/ reservation" = 8.2% - 13.0%
                              255-315 "Passes" = 85.3% - 90.4%

Now I feel pretty good about getting a Consider w/ reservation I was under the impression that most people got this. But I guess not.

But that also means that there were no positives in the writing or concepts on close to 90% of screenplays that you read That says a lot.
                              Manfred Lopez Grem

REEL - IMDB

Comment

Originally posted by manfredlopez View Post
                                Wow. Let's do some math. If you review 300 to 350 screenplays a year, that means:

5 "Consider" = 1.4% - 1.7%
                                30-40 "Consider w/ reservation" = 8.2% - 13.0%
                                255-315 "Passes" = 85.3% - 90.4%

Now I feel pretty good about getting a Consider w/ reservation I was under the impression that most people got this. But I guess not.

But that also means that there were no positives in the writing or concepts on close to 90% of screenplays that you read That says a lot.
                                I also use "pass w/ reservations" which means there were still some ideas, elements, etc. that worked. So that 90% were not completely devoid of positives.
                                NOTES / COVERAGE
                                15,000+ Screenplays
                                [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                                X