X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Screenplay Mechanic (EvilRbt)

Originally posted by Cyfress View Post
    You give about 95% of people that send you scripts a pass?
    As to this specific question...

Around there yes. Out of 350-400 submissions per year, I award maybe 3-4 full CONSIDER/CONSIDER (I don't use recommend -- it means the same thing).

I frequently tell clients this ahead of time. Producers and managers refer clients to me, knowing I'm a tough judge, and they will read it if I give a consider. I like to make sure these clients know it's unlikely they'll get a consider, before they hire me.
    NOTES / COVERAGE
    15,000+ Screenplays
    [email protected]

Comment

I do not want to out the writer, I don't know if they want their material out there.

I'm not questioning your integrity, I don't even know you. I just read your comments on the material and thought with all the problems the material had you really didn't hit on any of them. So, I don't know if you were being nice or just didn't see them.

Consider with reservations to me means the script is in pretty decent shape but may have a story hole or two that needs to be closed.

Comment

My DD discount is still good through September.

Still time to qualify for my "Why We Ride" DVD giveaway too. I'll draw the winner October 1st.
        NOTES / COVERAGE
        15,000+ Screenplays
        [email protected]

Comment

For those playing at home, Cyfress informed me of the script title and author via PM. I looked up my report and, as it turns out, I gave the script a PASS anyway.

Sure wish he'd just PM'd me in the first place.
          NOTES / COVERAGE
          15,000+ Screenplays
          [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by EvilRbt View Post
            For those playing at home, Cyfress informed me of the script title and author via PM. I looked up my report and, as it turns out, I gave the script a PASS anyway.

Sure wish he'd just PM'd me in the first place.
            I was dubious because all I've gotten is "consider w/reservations" and my **** is great.

Comment

It's less about the grade and more about what, if anything, the writer is given to take with him/her to improve the story. You said pass with reservations, which I never heard of, meant the material is not worth developing and may only hold a few plot details that may be worth recycling.

I actually thought the concept was promising, it just needed work. The writer has the concept in a place now that is more rounded out, more focused, with a real comedic situation at the core that allows itself to have lots of moments ripe for humor.

Comment

Cyfress, just cut your losses and move on. You were wrong about your original assertion yet continue to try and undermine my work and reputation, on my thread, with the end game of boosting your own business.

I hope that's apparent to all here. Good day.
                NOTES / COVERAGE
                15,000+ Screenplays
                [email protected]

Comment

I hope that's apparent to all here.
                  Yes.

Comment

Not that he needs it, but I'll certainly vouch for the Mechanic's integrity and quality feedback. I've used his service on three scripts, and his notes and insights have proved incredibly useful on each of them.

Comment

Cyfress, just cut your losses and move on. You were wrong about your original assertion yet continue to try and undermine my work and reputation, on my thread, with the end game of boosting your own business.

I hope that's apparent to all here. Good day.
                      Honestly, don't take him seriously. He has achieved no success in the screenwriting world, so he tries to make himself feel better by offering DDPers free script reads and pretending to be a qualified analyst. He doesn't have a fraction of the experience (or acclaim) that you do.

I stopped taking his opinions on here seriously a long time ago when I realized he goes after people for the attention. The best way to make trolls disappear is to ignore them.
                      "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Cyfress, I seem to recall telling you to be kind to pro script readers and learn from them so that you could turn your own analysis into paid work. There was absolutely no need to call anybody out when a PM would have sufficed.

All this does is harm you because it makes you look unprofessional. Accept that Andrew knows more about this and has more genuine experience. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar and you're just pouring vinegar everywhere.

Comment

When was I unkind? Andrew, I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers at all. How am I hurting your business? There's kids here that hate me and may use you just because I questioned you. Hold strong to the faith of your abilities. Don't ever let some anonymous big mouth change the way you feel.

Connor, really I am just helping people. The development service makes up a fraction of a percentage of my income and I'm not looking for it to increase. Reading amateur material non stop and trying to figure out what the writer's intention are then help them plan a much better approach to the script is pretty intensive work that can take a month. Most writers just drop off after a few weeks when I have rejected their attempts pages over and over. Asking them to dig deeper. Talking to them about story using movie examples. When people leave, I try to make sure they are better writers than before they met me. If all the lurkers and posters here feel I am out of line and no one ever decides to bring material to me again, I'd be fine with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyfress View Post
                            If all the lurkers and posters here feel I am out of line and no one ever decides to bring material to me again, I'd be fine with that.
                            That's good because it will happen if you keep going after Screenplay Mechanic.

The fact is, the people who have brought material to him, and actually take the time to listen to what he has to say and apply his insights, are better writers for it. Every single project I've asked him to read (9 if I counted right) has been drastically improved after utilizing his feedback.

From your description though, it sounds like you need to reevaluate how you're running development service. It shouldn't take a month of endless notes to turn a project around.

Comment

That's because you know nothing about development. You think working on a script for a month is 'a lot of work'. I'll bet my left nut you have a script right now that is in horrible shape and you don't even know it. Plus, sometimes the writer steps away for a few days to digest what we are discussing.

Look, All the Evil Robot fans out there, you don't have to come out here and tell me that I am evil. I get it. If Andrew's services have made you a better writer then you should use them again. Plain and simple.

I use Heinz Ketchup, yesterday I ran into somebody who inly uses Hunt's. He criticized Heinz, but it didn't change my mind about it. Don't waiver on or feel like you have to defend your convictions because someone questions them.

I personally feel like your run of the mill amateur writer with the run of the mill amateur script has exactly 0% chance to take three or four paragraphs of advice/criticism and make their script market worthy.

Here's what we'll do. I nominate Dunelm to be the writer for the experiment. We'll send something of his to Andrew, I WILL PAY THE MONEY, and if Andrew has different packages we'll get an expensive one. He's going to take the material and do his standard write up, which I have seen, which will include things like a logline, a grade, story description then a positives and negatives section. Dunelm you'll take the write up and use it for a rewrite. Since a month is a long time, it shouldn't be too long before you have the new draft. We'll see if anything happens with it as far as contests or querying. What do you say?

Comment

As reminder to all, please don't get into these back & forth debates. Everyone here is a member of the community and as such we ask that folks be as civil and decent to each other as possible since we're all in the same boat, so to speak.

We've allowed for threads from (a few) long time members so they could let the community know about services they offer. We don't expect everyone to see eye-to-eye exactly or agree on every service, contest, movie, book, TV show and so forth. That's fine. That's life.

If people feel the great need to debate all this privately, then we'll have to leave that "freedom" up to you. You're adults. But please don't let/have things devolve publicly in any thread here to then become some unnecessary debate, competition, argument, etc. If someone has an honest, fair review or has some questions or needs clarification about one or more of the services, contests and so on again, then great. Otherwise just be cool, do what you do best, keep your nose to the grindstone and karma should take care of the rest.
                                Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 09-09-2017, 10:57 AM.
                                Will
                                Done Deal Pro
                                www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Working...
                                X