X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Screenplay Mechanic (EvilRbt)

Thanks, Tony.

FYI, a few spots still open for next week if anyone needs a read...
    NOTES / COVERAGE
    15,000+ Screenplays
    [email protected]

Comment

How can you have spots open! I sent out 5 copies of your coverage to people that asked and they all said they were turning theirs in. You must be working to hard.
      If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
      Dave Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Centurio View Post
        How can you have spots open! I sent out 5 copies of your coverage to people that asked and they all said they were turning theirs in. You must be working to hard.
        One guy contacted me tonight actually. I really appreciate you sharing your coverage! Cheers, Bruce.
        NOTES / COVERAGE
        15,000+ Screenplays
        [email protected]

Comment

I have a few spots available next week...
          NOTES / COVERAGE
          15,000+ Screenplays
          [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Centurio View Post
            I sent a pm, but didn't hear back.
            It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Just got my notes back from Andrew. From my perspective, he's definitely worth the money. Agree with Tony too; the professional layout of his coverage is a nice and reassuring touch.

Comment

Evil,

I'm working on wrapping up my first screenplay for the umpteenth time.

I would love to send you the script, but it may make you want to retire or charge me double for wasting time out of your life that you will never see again.

Well, my main question would be...Do you tackle all scripts based on what the industry looks for or do you look at a script from a newbie (myself) and point out common first time mistakes to avoid along with all my other problems?

Since I'm new to writing I like to think that I haven't done this long enough to build any bad habits.

Comment

Originally posted by chuco View Post
                  Evil,

I'm working on wrapping up my first screenplay for the umpteenth time.

I would love to send you the script, but it may make you want to retire or charge me double for wasting time out of your life that you will never see again.

Well, my main question would be...Do you tackle all scripts based on what the industry looks for or do you look at a script from a newbie (myself) and point out common first time mistakes to avoid along with all my other problems?

Since I'm new to writing I like to think that I haven't done this long enough to build any bad habits.
                  Hey Chuco,

I try to take everything into account, but my primary goal is to help you, not merely dismiss your work because it isn't ready for a prod company. I work with many novice writers and strive to help them grow as a writer and, above all else, improve their material.

I'm confident you'll find my service useful and I'll point you in the right direction.

Any other questions, fire away. Feel free to email me directly too as I'm not on DD every single day.
                  NOTES / COVERAGE
                  15,000+ Screenplays
                  [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by EvilRbt
                    Quite a few slots open for next week...
                    I sent you a PM. This will be my first time using your coverage but it sounds like it is well worth it!

Comment

Booked up all this week, but taking reservations for next week (Mar 23)...
                      NOTES / COVERAGE
                      15,000+ Screenplays
                      [email protected]

Comment

The Screenplay Mechanic has now covered two of my scripts and I've been impressed and satisfied each time. The notes are professional, clear and helpful in pushing the script in the right direction. Absolutely a great value for the price. Trust me, I've paid more and gotten much less in return.

Comment

hello evil,

i am soon to be a customer and i would like to ask you a couple questions, you don't have to answer them of course, and if i should have brought this to pm, i will, but i kind of wanted to ask you this in the open forum because your customers are the ones involved in the question, at least being a third party participant without their knowledge.

i've read up on how you give your coverage, and it dawned on me that a lot of people, i think, i may be wrong, but got a consider from you.

so, does this dilute your actual opinion because part of your business is repeat business? i realize that your criticism and thoughts will still be in the review but writers want to truly know where they stand in the pecking order and when you're giving out considers when they don't deserve them kind of undermines your credibility.

now, this isn't me trying to be a jerk, i'm just asking. i've heard people say they got a consider from you and i read their writing and i'm wondering what your considering? This is a very small community, so, many of your customers are people i've read, friends of mine have read and word of mouth spreads, exactly how you got so popular is the reason i'm asking. having such a huge discrepency in what i think and you think of someones skill level is a little disheartening.

i'm from the camp of brutal honesty keeps the peanut gallery from getting in my runway space. you must have a lot of runway space.

again, i am a huge fan of what i've heard and read about you, your sucess and the commitment you have to helping writers, i just wonder about the above.

feel free to pm me if you like, i am a soon to be customer.

sincerely,

division head consumer reports
                          Last edited by THEUGLYDUCKLING; 03-16-2010, 07:29 AM.
                          You only get one chance to rewrite it 100 times.

Comment

I give out far more "pass" recommendations than anything else. I also award a "consider w/ reservations" if the material falls short of a full "consider" but there are strong positives in either the writing or the concept.

If you want to discuss a specific writer or project in general privately, I am happy to explain why I awarded them whatever grade they received.

The positive feedback my service receives here and on my website isn't because I'm disingenuous, it's because I try to be constructive and helpful and I'm cheap. There are a lot of satisfied clients because I read at least 10 scripts per week.

Trust me, I could make a lot more money and make writers a lot happier by giving out more "considers." But unlike many other coverage services (one of which I work for), I'd rather be more sincere than try to drum up repeat business. I've even talked clients out of hiring me for the full development notes ($250) when I think they only need basic coverage ($65).

Am I less brutally honest than when I read at studios? Perhaps by a hair, yet it's a different animal when you work directly for the writer. But I can still be brutally honest. See for yourself.
                            NOTES / COVERAGE
                            15,000+ Screenplays
                            [email protected]

Comment

my very nature comes off as agressive and tactless at times, but this post in no way my calling out of a certain a writer, that's not what i was doing, i was calling out you, not like come off that porch and take off your watch we're scrapping, but generally.

to any writer out there who may think i'm talking about them directly, i'm not, i'm talking about the whole enchilda, not one specific writer.

anyway, you've passed the test evil, there is a certain amount diplomacy associated with your work and 65 bucks is ridiculous.

let's say it takes two hours to read a script, at lest an hour to digest it and another one or two to zip off those notes, i'm stunned you do it for this little.
                              You only get one chance to rewrite it 100 times.

Comment

Originally posted by THEUGLYDUCKLING View Post

let's say it takes two hours to read a script, at lest an hour to digest it and another one or two to zip off those notes, i'm stunned you do it for this little.
                                That's exactly what my wife says. Typically I spend 4 hours on each script.

I only charge $65 because I try to strike a balance between volume of material, making a living, and being accessible.
                                NOTES / COVERAGE
                                15,000+ Screenplays
                                [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                                X