X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Screenplay Mechanic (EvilRbt)

Originally posted by EvilRbt View Post
    But I read some great stuff from Done Deal members and the average is better than most of what the agencies send out...
    Seriously?

It doesn't surprise me a bit that DDP members' scripts are better than the average script written, but it blows my mind that the average DDP script is better than the average represented script. That's pretty awesome, but it also seems to be a testament to how difficult it can be to get repped.
    QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

If you're thinking about getting your script covered, you'd really be missing out by not sending it to Andrew.

Nowhere else, will you get such professional notes from a guy who knows what the industry is looking for, and for such a reasonable price.

Thanks again for the coverage!

Comment

Anyone know when Andrew will stop taking in scripts from DD'lers? Is LOST PATROL going into production anytime soon?

Comment

Originally posted by omovie View Post
          Anyone know when Andrew will stop taking in scripts from DD'lers? Is LOST PATROL going into production anytime soon?
          New draft of LP executed from Norrington in August. Hopefully WB will greenlight and production will begin in Fall/Winter. I have many other fires lit too, but I can easily see myself reading into 2011...
          NOTES / COVERAGE
          15,000+ Screenplays
          [email protected]

Comment

EvilRbt / Mechanic - Have you ever thought about taking your professional reading experience and turning it into a development job at a studio, or maybe even becoming a literary manager?
            If there are any questions, direct them to [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Hole Brad View Post
              EvilRbt / Mechanic - Have you ever thought about taking your professional reading experience and turning it into a development job at a studio, or maybe even becoming a literary manager?
              I used to work at the studios. Loved the creative side of things; the politics and schmoozing not so much.

As much as I like to help writers, I have no desire to manage and take 15% of their money. I have a handful of projects I'm helping move forward, but I am involved as an Associate or Exec Producer. That way the writer doesn't give up any $$$, my attachment doesn't weigh down the project, and everyone wins.

My long term goal is to produce. For now, I'm happy to help writers, either with coverage or to gain attention for scripts I consider great. I'm confident the projects I'm working on are going to do incredibly well, so my short term goal is to build an ever-expanding base of contacts who view me as someone with good taste who finds strong material.

Later, I will share more details on specific projects. For now, I want to keep details hush-hush. Trust me though, some exciting stuff going on...
              NOTES / COVERAGE
              15,000+ Screenplays
              [email protected]

Comment

I was actually thinking the same thing as Brad Hole. Guys at Management 360 knew your name when I mentioned it.

Good luck with your projects!
                Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

Originally posted by sppeterson View Post
                  I was actually thinking the same thing as Brad Hole. Guys at Management 360 knew your name when I mentioned it.

Good luck with your projects!
                  Well I'm always interested in establishing more relationships with existing managers/agents/producers. So when I find writers with potential, I can help them connect. Nice to know they've heard of me. Hope it's all positive!

As always, thanks for the kind words, everyone.
                  NOTES / COVERAGE
                  15,000+ Screenplays
                  [email protected]

Comment

Exciting times, indeed.

Comment

That sounds really exciting, Andrew. It's always inspiring to have people on DD doing great things.

I was wondering if you could give us a little background on your journey as a writer. How long did you write for before you started to make real headway? Did it come out of your years of reading, or we you writing before then? What have you learned most from reading the amount of scripts you have? Sorry if all of this was covered in previous posts.

Comment

Originally posted by omovie View Post
                        I was wondering if you could give us a little background on your journey as a writer. How long did you write for before you started to make real headway? Did it come out of your years of reading, or we you writing before then? What have you learned most from reading the amount of scripts you have? Sorry if all of this was covered in previous posts.
                        You can read a bio (although a tad outdated) on my website. In short, I hail from the UK. Went to film school there, then NY, then LA, and started working at the studios. I interned for many companies (including an immensely enjoyable 6 months at Silver Pictures) then worked as a Story Editor for a production company at Paramount for two years.

My original plan was to work in production, as I studied photography in school and dreamt of being a cinematographer. But life has a funny way of derailing such plans and that happened to me when one of my bosses talked me into writing something. That first script landed me an agent and things snowballed from there. When my production company at Paramount lost its deal, I was laid-off and started "reading" full time. Over the ensuing years, the journey to my first produced credit was long and arduous, due to strikes, shitty representation, and consistently crappy luck.

Perseverance pays off, however, and now I have several projects lined up. A piece of advice a writer once told me: "Stay at the table and eventually you'll get something to eat."
                        NOTES / COVERAGE
                        15,000+ Screenplays
                        [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by EvilRbt View Post
                          "Stay at the table and eventually you'll get something to eat."
                          I learned that from my dog, but thanks for confirming.
                          Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, Andrew. Hope to hear more about your other projects soon.

Comment

Don't forget to "Like" the Mechanic on Facebook. Getting close to 500 fans...

http://www.facebook.com/screenplaymechanic

Hoping to have a Lost Patrol update for you guys in August too. Norrington's new draft is expected anytime.
                              NOTES / COVERAGE
                              15,000+ Screenplays
                              [email protected]

Comment

Hey Andrew, how's it going?

Do you like to read horror screenplays?

Have you done a lot of coverage in the horror genre in the past?

Sorry if these have been asked before.

Have a great night.

Comment

Working...
                                X