• Show
Clear All

• Re: The Screenplay Mechanic (EvilRbt)

Congrats
    It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Congrats, Andrew!
      "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Will you marry me?
        If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
        Dave Barry

Comment

Awesome news. Congrats.
          "Only nothing is impossible."
          - Grant Morrison

Comment

Congratulations!

HH

Comment

Congratulations!! Great news!

Comment

What's even more hilarious is the fact that 'people' shout out to the sky -- NEVER pay for notes! This guy charges 75 dollars for crying out loud.

I can't even get a bagel and cream cheese in nyc and a cab ride home for that.

DBD

Comment

On a side note

Andrew wondering what's your take on kill bill's structure or a similar structured script (jumping back and forth)?

congrats
                  Last edited by montevideo; 06-29-2011, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by montevideo View Post
                    On a side note

Andrew wondering what's your take on kill bill's structure or a similar structured script (jumping back and forth)?
                    The "rules" are different for filmmakers like Tarantino. In other words, he can get away with techniques and devices you and I cannot.

That said, a non-linear structure can work brilliantly. It simply depends on the individual story and which structural style makes for a better movie.
                    NOTES / COVERAGE
                    15,000+ Screenplays
                    [email protected]

Comment

You are all kinds of amazing, sir.

Hopefully I'll actually finish a script for you to read before you give that up.

Comment

Andrew,

I know your journey was as tough as the next guy and there's still lots to do to get where you need to be.

With that said, give us some advice or dead HONEST insight into your approach in getting your stuff made.

Were you aggressive in your pursuit? How many sleepless nights did you have per week, seriously? Worrying is a big part of being patient,if that makes sense, while the powers that be make a move on your stuff.

Did you have a mentor? Or someone that believed in your work?

thanks, would be great to get a no nonsense answer.

Comment

Originally posted by montevideo View Post
                          Andrew,

I know your journey was as tough as the next guy and there's still lots to do to get where you need to be.

With that said, give us some advice or dead HONEST insight into your approach in getting your stuff made.

Were you aggressive in your pursuit? How many sleepless nights did you have per week, seriously? Worrying is a big part of being patient,if that makes sense, while the powers that be make a move on your stuff.

Did you have a mentor? Or someone that believed in your work?

thanks, would be great to get a no nonsense answer.
                          I don't want to get deep into my war stories here. I typically only share those over a few beers.

Everyone's path to success is different. For some, it's a quick and relatively easy journey. For others, it's a long hard slog. So much depends on luck, timing, representation, market climate, etc.

Alas, I fall into the latter camp. If this was the NBA, I'd be considered a journeyman. I wrote THE LOST PATROL in 1999. I wrote BULLET RUN in 2005. Both bounced from producer to producer, director to director, option to option, $1 to $1... Now BULLET RUN seems very likely to get made, THE LOST PATROL less so. Each project has a long history behind it but, again, I don't want to get too deep into it. Not in this thread anyway.

To answer your specific questions... No, I wasn't as aggressive as I should have been -- left too much up to ineffective reps. Yes, I've had sleepless nights (ALL writers do). No mentor, but a very close director friend whom I trust implicitly.

I should also point out that I've been less focused on writing in recent years and more focused on producing.

The secret to success IMO? Write a great script and don't ever give up. Sounds easy doesn't it? It's not.
                          NOTES / COVERAGE
                          15,000+ Screenplays
                          [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by jboffer View Post
                            You are all kinds of amazing, sir.

Hopefully I'll actually finish a script for you to read before you give that up.
                            I'll be here for a few more months at least. BULLET RUN won't shoot until Jan/Feb 2012 and my next film as a producer (COLD) will shoot mid-winter.
                            NOTES / COVERAGE
                            15,000+ Screenplays
                            [email protected]

Comment

After having my scripts brutalized repeatedly by Andrew for 18 months, I considered our relationship a grudge match -- conducted from another coast by me at significant disadvantage. Hence, I hunkered down and applied what I learned from him -- and as of May, I got signed by a very good and respected Hollywood agent. I never would have accomplished that without Andrew. He is the best in the business -- at a tiny fraction of the "guru" price.
                              And FYI, it was I (I'm a professional journalist) who wrote the article in SCRIPT ("Getting Feedback") and quoted Andrew.
                              He is the man -- and now a three-times-sold spec screenwriter. That's a pretty small club.
                              Congrats, Andrew. It couldn't happen to a more deserving or smarter guy -- just please keep reading (at least for established clients). Happy 4th.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilRbt View Post
                                I don't want to get deep into my war stories here. I typically only share those over a few beers.

Everyone's path to success is different. For some, it's a quick and relatively easy journey. For others, it's a long hard slog. So much depends on luck, timing, representation, market climate, etc.

Alas, I fall into the latter camp. If this was the NBA, I'd be considered a journeyman. I wrote THE LOST PATROL in 1999. I wrote BULLET RUN in 2005. Both bounced from producer to producer, director to director, option to option, $1 to $1... Now BULLET RUN seems very likely to get made, THE LOST PATROL less so. Each project has a long history behind it but, again, I don't want to get too deep into it. Not in this thread anyway.

To answer your specific questions... No, I wasn't as aggressive as I should have been -- left too much up to ineffective reps. Yes, I've had sleepless nights (ALL writers do). No mentor, but a very close director friend whom I trust implicitly.

I should also point out that I've been less focused on writing in recent years and more focused on producing.

The secret to success IMO? Write a great script and don't ever give up. Sounds easy doesn't it? It's not.
                                Great, great post, Andrew.

Comment

Working...
                                X