• Re: The Screenplay Mechanic (EvilRbt)

Mechanic,

What do you do for TV scripts?

Comment

Originally posted by froonly View Post
      Mechanic,

What do you do for TV scripts?
      He does do TV scripts. He critiqued my 1/2-hr pilot and was spot on. Even gave me some good direction for fixes which I'm implementing now.

If you're thinking of trying him, go for it.
      I'm always right.

Comment

Let me answer a few FAQs:

1. Yes, I'm still reading scripts. "Bullet Run" is casting and will most likely shoot in the winter or early next year. Although Legendary shut down "The Lost Patrol" because they weren't happy with Stephen Norrington, some indie producers are trying to buy it out of turnaround to shoot it next Spring. I also have more producer projects lined up, but for now script-reading remains my day job.

2. I occasionally offer DD discounts. Email me to see what the current rates are. I do not discount Full Notes because it's very time consuming and my rate is already very low and competitive.

3. My turnaround time varies, usually 7-10 days. But once you email me and request the next available date in my schedule, you don't need to send payment or the script until closer to your scheduled date. That means you can keep working on the script. The day I read it, is the day I send you my coverage or notes.

4. I read feature scripts, teleplays, and treatments/outlines.

5. No, studio coverage does not include proofreading (although I do highlight most typos on your PDF when doing Full Notes).

Any other questions, or for my current availability, please email me at [email protected]
        NOTES / COVERAGE
        15,000+ Screenplays
        [email protected]

Comment

Congrats on Bullet Run, bro! Hopefully this means we'll see you reviewing pages in Advanced Forums one of these days.
          "I need someone who laughs at all my jokes. You know; honest feedback."
          - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Let me add my voice to the chorus supporting Andrew's service.

He just finished coverage on a script of mine. He judged it a pass, so it's not like he was buttering me up. The analysis was professional, clear-eyed, and insightful. He assessed the script from both an artistic and commercial standpoint and explained the strengths and weaknesses of each. And made a very good case, unfortunately, that the commercial weakness are probably too much to overcome, at least in terms of trying to make a sale to a studio. That's tough, but I'd rather know that than waste a lot of time and energy querying places that won't be interested.

He also made a couple of thoughtful suggestions about fixing some of the flaws in the script itself -- his fixes feel right -- and suggested I consider the indie route as opposed to a studio. That assessment feels right, too.

All that and he delivered his feedback exactly when he said he would.

I paid the non-discount price (learned about the discount too late!) but still consider it money well spent.

Andrew knows what he's talking about. I have no reservations recommending him and hope he's still doing this in the future so I can send him more scripts.

Comment

I was very impressed with Andrew's service. First of all, he's extremely quick to respond and very professional - he gives you a date, and you receive notes on that date. This is very important to me - it shows he respects the writers he's working with and understands the value of delivering a product on time. I really appreciated this.

His coverage was also very high quality. He made some recommendations for story fixes that will definitely improve the script, and he gave me a clear and doable path for revision. He definitely seemed to echo a studio's sentiments, which is incredibly helpful because I'm trying hard to write a commercial script! The more commercial the better, really. And he validated my concept/idea, which gave me the encouragement I needed to send this script up the chain.

Thanks again, Andrew! I will definitely be using your services again in the future. Well worth the price.

Comment

As always, I truly appreciate the kind words!

For those who haven't tried me yet, be aware I often get booked quite far in advance. I still have a few spots open in July but you can also book for August. Just drop me a line and ask for a reservation. You don't need to send paypal or a PDF until right before your scheduled date and you'll receive my notes back that same day.

You can reach me at [email protected]
                NOTES / COVERAGE
                15,000+ Screenplays
                [email protected]

Comment

First time poster.

I used Andrew's service based directly off feedback from this forum. I'm very pleased with my decision.

This script is a war drama which he passed on w/ reservations.

Andrew was professional, quick, honest and offered suggestions to improve the script which I'll certainly consider.

Example -- he was honest about the commercial potential of this script/genre (or lack thereof!) but highlighted the positives such as the character work and dialog.

There is no question I'll use him again on future scripts.

BTW - a special thanks to everyone who has posted thus far in this thread/forum! Your comments are extremely helpful to a rookie like myself looking for useful/unbiased feedback.

Comment

Thanks, Topshelf!

I have one or two spots left in July and I'm taking reservations for August already. Make a reservation soon.
                    NOTES / COVERAGE
                    15,000+ Screenplays
                    [email protected]

Comment

Several clients (I know of at least four) have reached the quarter-finals of The Page International Screenwriting Awards. Congrats to all!
                      NOTES / COVERAGE
                      15,000+ Screenplays
                      [email protected]

Comment

Sorry if this is a long read. I type fast and really have much to say that I hope will help other screenwriters at my level of abilities as an unknown screenwriter hoping for the best.

Screenplay Mechanic, Andrew, is extraordinary. My feedback here is long over due, so long overdue I'm embarrassed to mention and had forgotten or didn't realize he was the host of his own thread. I jump around and maybe had originally speed read this thread as I had book marked it and didn't realize he was actually the host. After doing a lot of research with my decision making process in finding a script consultant, and with luck too, I found Screenplay Mechanic. I'm almost 100% certain I found Andrew here at Done Deal, but memory fails me. He is so straight forward he even warned me prior to submitting my script that my theme or genre was an “incredibly tough sell in the industry”. He was being so kind warning me to think about that and was even still willing to read my script!

To protect his pricing I just want to say that for magnanimous reasons he even leaped ahead and offered me, a completely new person, a discount at his established client level!! Imagine this too, he's read 5,000 screenplays in his career! I don't think I've read 5,000 of anything in my life ha! He even reminded me of the difference between the mid level of coverage I was going to pay for and contrasted it to the next lower level and how I might save even more by going his lower level route in his attempt to save me money! I had just received a birthday gift of money and still wanted to remain at the mid price level.

Andrew even let me fine tune the original mid level parameters of what he does at that price. I asked if at the mid level price I could leave out his writing the synopsis, and substitute that with another full page of his comments. He still, through his perceptions of my level of writing experience before even reading my script, concluded my choice was best at this point in my writing development. What I mean was he perceived I didn't have enough experience and that a synopsis would be pre-mature in my case; and he was exactly right. So I submitted my script noting no rush in my case and grateful he would substitute not writing a synopsis. He estimated the longer time span for his crit, which was fine. A few days after I submitted I received an email ad about a screenwriter's grant deadline that was to be due in about a couple of weeks. I panicked as I really hoped to submit to the grant. I felt bad but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask if just maybe he could put my script on top of the pile. I was hoping his comments would improve my grant submission. He went ahead with a great critique just to fit my time constraint! How much more accommodating can one get? I also submitted noting how much I appreciate a crit that would be frank, that I learn a lot from what a reader doesn't like, even more than from what they like.

He was amazing with his superior knowledge, powers of observation, and being frank with me. Those three pages of crit had a big impact. He “Passed” and very much substantiated why, and in a straight forward yet constructive manner. I never told him; but prior to his crit I sold some personal belongings for far under value so I could get $325 together for a crit from a highly acclaimed crit service. The lady there who gave my crit was very frank yet I found more remarks or reactions than in depth perceptions. Her remarks helped too but were not as insightful, more like emotional. At one point she even said my story seemed devised by two teenagers smoking pot ha! She was insightful too; but I have to say that Andrew's crit at only $95 (with his established client discount too) was more insightful than the $325 crit!

I was stubborn after Andrew's crit and went into 15 hour days of re-write mode in time for the grand deadline, and I made it! I didn't win the grant but learned. Also I recently received an about 4 sentence crit from the anonymous grant competition judge who found my writing a confused mess ha! Maybe I shouldn't say this as it would sound like I didn't learn anything; but really I did and also tried to cram too much into too short a time span before submitting. I rewrote again and am embarrassed to admit that I sent out 75 cover letters via snail mail. One company asked for my script and that was seven weeks ago. Another company has had it (different mailing) for almost five months which I figure now is a “Pass”. The longer the time passes the greater the chance of a “Pass”, which I think will ring true to Andrew's perception of my theme/genre and... and... me the aspiring (tail spinning ha) script writer. Thanks Andrew as you are my master critique-er extraordinaire!

I highly recommend Screenplay Mechanic! I'm just worried he might burn out and move on yet he remains steadfast and a remarkable influence in the world of screenwriting.
                        Last edited by MichaelJ; 07-19-2012, 12:28 AM. Reason: Feeling one inch tall and forgetting names!

Comment

^^^^^^^^
                          Andrew
                          If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
                          Dave Barry

Comment

I've been called a lot worse than Brian.

Thanks for the great feedback, Michael!
                            NOTES / COVERAGE
                            15,000+ Screenplays
                            [email protected]

Comment

And, Michael (or was it Murray?), he's not the Script Mechanic. He's the Screenplay Mechanic. You got his name and business name wrong. Calm down and clear your head.

Comment

That's okay. A lot of people refer to me as that. Any savvy entrepreneurs would be wise to register the domain "www.scriptmechanic.com" as I'm sure a ton of potential clients Google it.

BTW, now taking reservations for August...
                                NOTES / COVERAGE
                                15,000+ Screenplays
                                [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                                X