Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What all do you know about Greenwriter.org

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. Anyway, here's the link http://greenwriter.org

I get a feeling that it's a scam of some short...or at the least they don't, or are unable, to do what they claim. Mostly because they're the ones searching for customers/clients instead of the other way around. Anyway, if you can, check it out and tell me what you think. Thanks

Re: What all do you know about Greenwriter.org

It's a great idea, but it doesn't make sense. Why would a studio pay to find screenplays when they have people thrusting scripts at them for free all day?
    Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Hi Emily Blake

Thanks for looking at the site. I was thinking that it didn't make sense either. That's why I posted it on here, hoping someone could explain it to me or say...yeah you're right for being suspicious. I think it's the owners way of (perhaps) trying to rip naive people off...maybe. I don't know what their motive is but I doubt the site will help me or any other writer get to where we wanna be.

Comment

If it is a scam, they're certainly investing money in it.

There was a full page ad for it in the last issue of Script and I think the previous issue as well.
        "Only nothing is impossible."
        - Grant Morrison

Comment

How can it be a scam if they're not asking writers for money?

Comment

I don't think it's a scam, just an ill-conceived idea.

I could be wrong.
            Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

I think they're environmentalist to save the "paper" at least that's what I'm getting at it. Although many feel the same as most here do... thinking that why would an executive pay to read something... unless there's a powerful catch...

With respect to their offers, they'd been posting AD's full pages in Creative Screenwriting Magazine - at least from the last issue... and they where everywhere this past EXPO handing out FREE water Bottles... nice ones too. I end up taking three of them, well they offered it to me several times over the weekend.

Needless to say, I think we need to test them out. Say, some of us post our scripts there after we register it with the Guild, and see if their story is true. At least this way, it cost the writer nothing, and if nothing happens oh well not big lost. We have a script online for those to pay to read it. But, if those that eventually decide to go that route, should report back here to us to see if it worked out!

I'm very curious. Who knows, maybe it works!
              D. Alin
              http://alinproduction.blogspot.com Sci-Fi/Fantasy (Basically) [Skype me at "Buyitpc" - I will surely love to talk!]

Comment

I like the "green" idea. The less paper we all use the better.

But it seems that email eliminates middle men and posting your script somewhere online, and I'm not sure why I'd want to use a service to post anything of mine online.

Comment

According to the interview I read, a 23 year old guy found it too expensive to print out his screenplay, so founded the company to save paper. He figured that companies who wouldn't even let him submit scripts online for free would instead be happy to PAY to read submissions online.

It seems like an incredibly misconceived business plan. To make it worse, they are very proud of being writer focussed.

That's like a business trying to get you to pay to sign up for junk mail, arguing that they are very focussed on making sure that they meet the needs of companies advertising on the junk mail list!

Mac
                  New blogposts:
                  *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
                  *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
                  *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
                  *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

although I have yet to read the fine print, I did see a comment from someone online somewhere to watch out for the TOS agreement as they could possibly retain rights, or partial rights, to your uploaded stories. maybe someone can dispel or confirm that?
                    "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

Comment

I thought this model had been tried before. The 'Producers pay, not the writer' thing sounds very familiar.

I'm generally skeptical about all these middlemen sites-- MovieBytes, ScriptShark, Virtual Pitch etc...

I am very doubtful about their effectiveness. I don't recall ever hearing about a big sale, only small fringe sales from small, low budget Prod Companies. When you hear about a sale in Variety or on Done Deal, there's never any mention of these middlemen sites.

I personally wouldn't use any of these sites b/c my aim is higher than what they seem to be offering. I want to be repped by a big, or semi big management/Agency. I want to offer my scripts to studios & biggish Pro Cos in hopes that they buy them-- or I get a good paying assignment. These online middlemen sites don't seem to be swimming in the same pond.

IMO, if you have good, commercial scripts, you're better off trying to get good reps the old fashioned way-- on your own.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Originally posted by Moviequill View Post
                        although I have yet to read the fine print, I did see a comment from someone online somewhere to watch out for the TOS agreement as they could possibly retain rights, or partial rights, to your uploaded stories. maybe someone can dispel or confirm that?
                        That's what I was thinking, which is why I wanted someone else to look over the site and thought the site might be a scam of some sort.

Comment

Working...
                        X