Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting Final Draft to PDF?

Why is it that when I try to cut and paste title page into body of screenplay from Final Draft to send out as PDF the option to paste is not there? Why is title page separate from the screenplay in Final Draft? How can I send the Final Draft WITH TITLE PAGE in one document using PDF?

Re: Converting Final Draft to PDF?

I just go with:

Print --> Print to PDF (and check "Include title page")

Comment

Originally posted by SuperScribe View Post
      I just go with:

Print --> Print to PDF (and check "Include title page")
      Yeah, I never had any problems. PDFs were always printed with the title page.

Go to File - Print => (Lower right corner) check PRINT TITLE PAGE.

Then go to File - Print as PDF.

Dead easy if you are using Win XP. Just make sure you have created a title page.

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Comment

Well ... sigh, sigh, sigh ...

As I always have to say, please give the version of the program. I am pretty sure there were earlier versions of Final Draft that did not let you include the title page with the PDF.

Anyway, if you still cannot figure it out, just download the free primoPDF program for creating a PDF, and then check my downloads index for an article that explains how to use the program (including how to join files).

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Let's make sure, just in case, you have the Title Page process correct in FD.

In your script document, go up to DOCUMENT
          dropdown menu and select TITLE PAGE

Create title page and close the "little X" at top left hand side...this will close ONLY the title page and not the entire script.

you have now created a title page in the FD script document, you just can't see it from the script pages.

now, click on SAVE AS

select correct location to save.

at bottom of the Save As window, there is a line for FILE NAME where you'll have the name of your document or title of your script.

BELOW that is another line called SAVE AS with file types.

click the dropdown menu and select "PDF"

hit SAVE or Open

you will see the save bar load across the screen and when done, close out the FD document. look in the directory where you saved it and you should see a new PDF file of your script.

open the document and it will have a title page.
          a touch is a blow, a sound is a noise, a misfortune is a tragedy, a joy is an ecstasy, a friend is a lover, a lover is a god, and failure is death. Pearl Buck

Comment

On my new computer, which has windows 10 and the free Adobe Acrobat reader, I discovered an easy way to convert FD 7.1.3 files to PDF without installing a converter program on my computer.

1. Open your Final Draft Screenplay.
            2. On the file menu select "print"
            3. On the dropdown menu, select "Microsoft Print to PDF"
            4. Select "OK"
            5. Select "Print Now"
            6. Enter File Name, the name you want to use for your FD screenplay.
            7. Select "Save"

The complete screenplay, including the title page, will be saved as a PDF in Adobe Acrobat.
            Last edited by jonpiper; 03-13-2017, 11:37 PM. Reason: update for windows 10

Comment

Originally posted by RichMike View Post
              Let's make sure, just in case, you have the Title Page process correct in FD.

In your script document, go up to DOCUMENT
              dropdown menu and select TITLE PAGE

Create title page and close the "little X" at top left hand side...this will close ONLY the title page and not the entire script.

you have now created a title page in the FD script document, you just can't see it from the script pages.

now, click on SAVE AS

select correct location to save.

at bottom of the Save As window, there is a line for FILE NAME where you'll have the name of your document or title of your script.

BELOW that is another line called SAVE AS with file types.

click the dropdown menu and select "PDF"

hit SAVE or Open

you will see the save bar load across the screen and when done, close out the FD document. look in the directory where you saved it and you should see a new PDF file of your script.

open the document and it will have a title page.
              Mike you should note that the little x is in the dropdown menue to the left of the File menue. Thanks for the explanation. It's confusing that the Title page does not show up on the actual FD script.

Also FD7's File dropdown menue has a SAVE AS PDF option, which saves some of your steps. The title page automatically shows up on the saved PDF document.

Comment

Since you're using FD 7, I'll mention an issue we've encountered repeatedly the past two years. When FD 7.0 saves as PDF, the files created are huge - as in 2 - 5 MB rather than 150 - 300 K.

If you have FD 7.0, upgrade to 7.1+ or add one of the free PDF converters that Comic Bent has mentioned often - Primo PDF or PDF995. Those seem to work fine with many versions of FD.

Comment

Thanks for the info, gregbeal. Also, Braincamp, you should go directly to FD support with your first two questions. Perhaps they'll improve FD.

Comment

Why is it that when I try to cut and paste title page into body of screenplay from Final Draft to send out as PDF the option to paste is not there? Why is title page separate from the screenplay in Final Draft?
                    Man, I don't check the board for about 24 hours and all kinds of questions about PDF and other software spring up like mushrooms!

To be fair to Final Draft (I am in a generous mood), the company was not being clumsy here. You cannot just paste a page onto the beginning of a document if you want to start your page numbering with page 1 on the first page of the script proper.

I think I am correct that with earlier versions, before PDF became such a standard, you had to print the title page separately. That did not matter when you were just going to send out a hard copy, but if you are going to make a PDF it is helpful to be able to put it all into one PDF file.

So now they let you include the title page when you "print" to PDF (provided that you use FD's own "Print to PDF" option). If you use PrimoPDF or another PDF driver like it, you have to print each PDF separately and then join them. I know it says "Include Title Page" in the Print Dialog in FD, but I think the option only works when you use FD's own PDF utility. PrimoPDF just prints the title page alone when you try that option. But no matter ... You just print the two parts and join them with PrimoPDF. See how to do this in my article on using PrimoPDF on my website. It is very easy.

And, yes, the original version 7 of Final Draft was a monster. The PDF problem was later fixed. Version 7.1.3 was the last version of 7, I think. That is what I have. I waited for about two years before ever installing 7. I waited for a completely stable version. Why FD ever used a "graphic image" approach to the PDF is a mystery as dark and unfathomable as the disappearance of Sophocles. The PDF was enormous and did not print out nearly as sharply as a standard PDF. At least they straightened it all out.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                      I waited for about two years before ever installing 7. I waited for a completely stable version.
                      Comic, what kind of problem does the unstable version cause?

On my laptop the cursor frequently jumps around the page for no reason as I write my script. Is that the problem, or that a problem with my Windows 7 operating system?

I know this is off topic, but you seem to know a lot about these issues.

Comment

The initial release of version 7 had all kinds of problems. The final release, which you can download for free if you are a registered user of 7, cleared up the problems as far as I know. I have not encountered any issues.

However, FD version 7 was developed before Windows 7. There could certainly be some incompatibilities.

Comment

On my new computer, which has windows 10 and the free Adobe Acrobat reader, I discovered an easy way to convert FD 7.1.3 files to PDF without installing a converter program on my computer.

1. Open your Final Draft Screenplay.
                          2. On the file menu select "print"
                          3. On the dropdown menu, select "Microsoft Print to PDF"
                          4. Select "OK"
                          5. Select "Print Now"
                          6. Enter File Name, the name you want to use for your FD screenplay.
                          7. Select "Save"

The complete screenplay, including the title page, will be saved as a PDF in Adobe Acrobat.

Comment

Jon, I do not know what you really meant to say, but some of that is misleading or shows that you do not understand some things.

Adobe Acrobat is just the name of an Adobe application that creates and manages PDF files. The Adobe Reader is a free portion of that application, but many other readers are also available for free. Files are saved as PDF files, but that has nothing to do with Adobe Acrobat. Adobe established the PDF specification a long time ago, but it is an open standard; it is not proprietary.

I did not know that Microsoft had finally included a PDF driver/creator as part of its operating system. (I did not upgrade to Windows 10.) It is inexcusable that Microsoft had never before included a PDF creator. However, since I know that Microsoft always screws up at least twice before it gets anything right, I was suspicious about how good the PDF driver is.

I still do not know, but I took a quick look at some internet postings, and as I suspected, I saw some remarks about "large PDF files" and some questions about font embedding.

Let me go straight to the point. I still do not know if the PDF files turn out good or not. But here are some tests that I did with some third-party PDF drivers this evening.

I took a 118-page Final Draft 10 script. I created PDF files by several methods, and I also imported the Final Draft file into Fade In and used the built-in PDF driver to create a PDF file. Here are the results. In all cases the Title Page is included, and the Courier Final Draft font is embedded.

You had better check your PDF file and see whether the font is embedded. It is easy to check. The font must be embedded, or you will end up with a mess when someone who does not have your font on his computer tries to read the file.

To check whether a font has been embedded, open the file in a PDF reader like the Adobe Reader.

Usually you can look under FILE > PROPERTIES. You will see a list of fonts that were used, and if they were embedded you will see something like "embedded subset" in the description. If you do not see the word "embedded" somewhere, the font was almost certainly not embedded. The file will look fine to you, because your computer has the font in question. But when Joe Blowhole gets your script and does not have that font, he will see some kind of substituted font.

RESULTS

FD file: Saved as PDF from within FD
                            Size of PDF: 259K

FD file: Created with PDF-XChange
                            (A commercial but inexpensive PDF driver)
                            Size: 175K

FD file: Created with the free PrimoPDF
                            Size of file: 259K

FD file imported into Fade In
                            PDF created with the built-in PDF driver
                            Size of file: 172K

Again, all the PDF files included the Title Page and had the Courier Final Draft font embedded.

You really need to upgrade from Final Draft 7. I cannot encourage you to plop down the big bucks that you will have to pay for Final Draft. When I started to run these tests tonight, Final Draft alerted me that an update (not an upgrade) was available. Updates are free. I answered that I wanted to install the update. For about the next five minutes my computer appeared to have hung up, but I vaguely remembered going through this once before, months ago. The DOS window popped up a few times and just sat there, with some messages that did not change for a couple of minutes. Finally, when I was wondering whether the installation had failed, it finally finished. Never any progress bar, never any message about what was going on. This is the kind of crap that you have to put up with when you deal with Final Draft. I will say that Final Draft really does have a beautiful interface. Beyond that ... well, I will let you decide.

But you need to upgrade. I do urge you to take a look at Fade In, which has a demo for Windows, Mac, and Linux. The program itself is only $50, and updates, which are free, only take about ten or fifteen seconds to install. And the PDF file is as good as anything that you get from your typical commercial program.

DISCLAIMER: All of the above reflects my experience and my opinion. Yes, opinion. And who knows? I could be wrong. Though I do not think so.

Comment

ComicBent, I opened an 8 page PDF file in Adobe Reader as you suggested. The file is a short script that I converted from Final Draft as I explained in my previous post. I had successfully uploaded that file to Script Revolution.

When I click on FILE > PROPERTIES, Document Properties pops up with the following tabs: Description, Security, Fonts, Custom, Advanced.

When I click on Fonts I get the following:
                              CIDFont + F1 (Embedded)
                              Type: TrueType (CID)
                              Encoding Identity-H

CIDFont + F2 (Embedded)
                              Type: TrueType (CID)
                              Encoding Identity-H

Do you know what all that means? Does that mean the font is embedded and the file can be sent to anyone with any PDF reader? Do I have two different fonts embedded?

You really need to upgrade from Final Draft 7. I cannot encourage you to plop down the big bucks that you will have to pay for Final Draft. When I started to run these tests tonight, Final Draft alerted me that an update (not an upgrade) was available. Updates are free. I answered that I wanted to install the update.
                              But you need to upgrade.

With my above results, do you still think I must upgrade?

DISCLAIMER: All of the above reflects my experience and my opinion. Yes, opinion. And who knows? I could be wrong. Though I do not think so.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." — ComicBent.

Comment

Working...
                              X