Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't like the courier font at all.

Why am I expected to write in this awful font? It's sterile. Void of character. And in FD it's really light and thin, I can hardly see it, makes writing difficult. (Looks better when it gets to pdf though, much thicker) And If you bold it, it becomes too messy. There needs to be an inbetween.

Now, Arial Bold, there's a font worthy of a moose emoction.

It looks great, it feels right. So why not? The problem is, that if you write in a font other than courier, when you switch it back to courier at the end, everything is out of wack, you have all these widows and orphans to deal with, and have to construct many sentences all over again, for that punchy, one line action description effect.

My main problem is that the font is so light it fades into the page, and bolding it looks smudged, if only it looked like it does in a pdf file. I might try movie magic to see if it's a little clearer.
    It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Re: I don't like the courier font at all.

Courier New is used because each letter is equally sized in upper and lower case.

Other fonts have come along that do the same, but that is why.

Originally posted by Jules View Post
    Why am I expected to write in this awful font? It's sterile. Void of character. And in FD it's really light and thin, I can hardly see it, makes writing difficult. (Looks better when it gets to pdf though, much thicker) And If you bold it, it becomes too messy. There needs to be an inbetween.

It looks great, it feels right. So why not? The problem is, that if you write in a font other than courier, when you switch it back to courier at the end, everything is out of wack, you have all these widows and orphans to deal with, and have to construct many sentences all over again, for that punchy, one line action description effect.

My main problem is that the font is so light it fades into the page, and bolding it looks smudged, if only it looked like it does in a pdf file. I might try movie magic to see if it's a little clearer.
    Screenplay Questions & Answers - http://screenplayqa.com

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

There is a certain point in a man's life where he has to realize that the choices of his youth are gone.

The vibrant fonts you once flirted with are no longer a choice for you.

You're not the writer you once were and now have to settle for any font that will have you.
        If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
        Dave Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post

The COURIER font is the same used on a typewriter and everybody used to write with a typewriter years ago and so this pretty much established the convention of what font is used when writing screenplays.. All software developers have done is follow on using the COURIER font because it is a Hollywood convention, an industry standard, tried and tested and the writer, this is you, is expected to conform.. Deviate from using the COURIER font they won't even read it instead your script will be tossed in the trashcan or worse recycled!

Your writing life and possible career will revolve around the COURIER font.. Your either a prisoner of it or a champion with it! Get used to it! Suck it up!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevan View Post
            Deviate from using the COURIER font they won't even read it instead your script will be tossed in the trashcan or worse recycled!
            That's not a very popular stance around here.

Comment

My main problem is that the font is so light it fades into the page
              try adjusting the tone, shade, or color balance on your monitor.

Comment

Or adjust the document size. I always write in 212% -- It gets it right in my face in a nice bolder weight.

Comment

I work in europe and almost everybody uses Times New Roman from MS Word.

And colored covers

So maybe quit Hollywood and come here!

Comment

I wonder if using the Wingdings font on my scripts has anything to do with me not selling them.
                    TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Well, the Courier Font doesn't like you. *I* don't like you either. You just watch yourself. We're wanted men. I have the death sentence on twelve systems.

- Bill
                      Free Script Tips:
                      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

You should make your font reflect the style of your movie. Like if it's a movie about a kidnapping, you should totally use that font that looks like a ransom note. If it's a romantic period piece, Zapf Chancery or whatever that cursivey one is. That way you'll really get the reader involved. I can see no way this can fail.
                        Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                          You should make your font reflect the style of your movie. Like if it's a movie about a kidnapping, you should totally use that font that looks like a ransom note. If it's a romantic period piece, Zapf Chancery or whatever that cursivey one is. That way you'll really get the reader involved. I can see no way this can fail.
                          Comic Sans for all superhero films, of course.
                          Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Jules, the story of Courier is more complex than what you have heard here.

I love Courier.

But such things are a matter of taste, I know. They are subjective. If you do not like Courier, you probably never will.

But get the scoop on Courier by reading my essay on the subject. It even includes examples of different Courier fonts.

Do not ever use Courier New if you can find a darker Courier, like Courier 10BT, Courier MM Screenwriter, Courier Final Draft, Dark Courier.

I address all of this in my essay.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Wow, C.B.

Comment

Working...
                              X