Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inktip?

I'm curious about this. Is it legit? Anyone have any successes? Any bad experiences? I'm wary about how it all works for some reason... Sorry if this thread is misplaced.

Re: Triggerstreet?

When I first started writing I used Triggerstreet and loved it. I have no idea if it's still as beneficial now as it was then. I workshopped my very first script there and made it into their top ten and HOF. It doesn't mean much now of course, but for a new writer it inspired me to continue my efforts.

Like any free workshop with unknown members you need to be careful with exposure and of course only keep the notes that work and discard the rest.

Also, use the search function here at DD, you'll find a bazillion threads on Triggerstreet and Zoetrope, the two main free workshop sites.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Telly View Post

Also, use the search function here at DD, you'll find a bazillion threads on Triggerstreet and Zoetrope, the two main free workshop sites.

Good luck.
      I searched triggerstreet. Didn't find any threads on it in particular. My understanding was that people got deals from triggerstreet? Is that right or am I just getting bad info?

Comment

Well, Triggerstreet is Kevin Spacey's film company, however I wouldn't look at Triggerstreet online as an avenue into getting your script sold. Use the site for workshopping if you'd like but don't expect much more than that.

Comment

Triggerstreet

When first started, it was friendly community, with a suggestion that the most recommended screenplays would get a serious look. Then, some members would trash others' work, in the hopes of getting theirs a better rating. After getting several bad evaluations by people who obviously hadn't read my submission, (and Triggerstreet's not dealing with that situation), I simply gave up. That was years ago, so things may have changed. I never heard of a screenplay being produced, due to its evaluation at Triggerstreet. Most of the material submitted there, (that I read), were amateur first drafts, desperately in need of a rewrite; only a few of them were gems that needed a polish.
          JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Re: Triggerstreet

Originally posted by Fortean View Post
            When first started, it was friendly community, with a suggestion that the most recommended screenplays would get a serious look. Then, some members would trash others' work, in the hopes of getting theirs a better rating. After getting several bad evaluations by people who obviously hadn't read my submission, (and Triggerstreet's not dealing with that situation), I simply gave up. That was years ago, so things may have changed. I never heard of a screenplay being produced, due to its evaluation at Triggerstreet. Most of the material submitted there, (that I read), were amateur first drafts, desperately in need of a rewrite; only a few of them were gems that needed a polish.
            This is an example of why these free workshops should be taken with a grain of salt. Use them for their core purpose, to help you refine your work. Anything more than that is a pipe dream that will end up frustrating you.

Comment

Re: Triggerstreet

This is an example of why these free workshops should be taken with a grain of salt. Use them for their core purpose, to help you refine your work. Anything more than that is a pipe dream that will end up frustrating you.
              Co-sign the above.

Also, don't "fall in love" with the community either. Like any other "social" site these sites tend to get people to get so friendly with other writers that it becomes a coddle-factory where a group of friends just pat each other on the back with every script.

Not much different from any real writer's group actually. Back in the day when I was on zoetrope, I made no attempts to coddle or get too friendly with the members in hopes that I got nothing but honest feedback from peers I didn't know.

And it worked perfectly. The scripts that got high marks turned out to be my best, and the ones that didn't -- you know the rest. I perfected my craft by not only improving my own, but reading other scripts.

That way, it made the process similar to how it would be eventually -- in theatres. I stick my head in zoetrope once in a while and I notice the same names and even some of the same scripts on there that have been there for years patting each other on the back and taking turns giving each other high marks, yet hardly any of them making any real advancements in their careers.

It can go from a virtual-workshop to a delusional child-like tea party. Just replace the empty tea cups with screenplays.

But overall, I'd highly recommend it for getting free, real world feedback, 'cause hey, these are the same people that would go see your film if it were ever produced anyway, right?

This is a lonely profession, so it's good to get feedback from ANYONE especially before submitting it to someone important.

Just look for the "recurring themes" in the reviews. If 3 out of 4 reviewers comment on the dialogue sucking or being great, you can pretty much take that to the bank.
              "U don' know me, muddafugga..."
              - Al Pacino, Carlito's Way

Comment

I remember when TG first started... People were really jockeying to get their script in the top 10... It chilled out a lot after that after they instituted more strict security controls.

Comment

Well, Triggerstreet is Kevin Spacey's film company, however I wouldn't look at Triggerstreet online as an avenue into getting your script sold. Use the site for workshopping if you'd like but don't expect much more than that.
                  Absolutely, and it's a great workshop if you're the right kind of writer for it... which means you really want to find and implement constructive criticism and you really care about helping other writers with their scripts too.

A script of mine won Screenplay of the Month on there a few months back. It has resulted in a handful of notable screenplay requests, but certainly it wasn't as effective a marketing strategy as simply sending out query letters.

It's a decent place for networking, just as a forum like this is when your goal is to make friends and connections, help other people out and not just throw your weight around and try to figure out what's in it for you.

Comment

Sorry... I meant Inktip. Anyone use that? Had success with it?

Comment

Originally posted by dirtbottle View Post
                      lol.

Comment

Had a Canadian prod. co. approach me about optioning one of my scripts after seeing it on Inktip.

Also, my current manager read a script of mine on there. It wasn't really for him(funnily enough, it was the same script that the Canadian producer was interested in), but he liked the writing. So, he read three more of my scripts. Loved em all and he now reps me.

So, Inktip can be successful, but it better be a really good script. I put scripts on there in the past that attracted zero interest...but they really weren't ready. Also, genre material is more successful there than, say, character driven dramas. Especially if you write horror, action, and/or thriller.

Comment

Originally posted by snwrist View Post
                          Had a Canadian prod. co. approach me about optioning one of my scripts after seeing it on Inktip.

Also, my current manager read a script of mine on there. It wasn't really for him(funnily enough, it was the same script that the Canadian producer was interested in), but he liked the writing. So, he read three more of my scripts. Loved em all and he now reps me.

So, Inktip can be successful, but it better be a really good script. I put scripts on there in the past that attracted zero interest...but they really weren't ready. Also, genre material is more successful there than, say, character driven dramas. Especially if you write horror, action, and/or thriller.
                          Just got their first newsletter, I'm noticing it's mostly low - micro budgets. All around 1 million looking for the next crap actioner or horror gimmick pic - not really my cup of tea.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtbottle View Post

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Isaac View Post
                              Right? How awesome was that?

Comment

Working...
                              X