Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Plug For ScriptGal (Amanda)

I'm taking time out from drowning kittens and making snide comments to say that I recently used ScriptGal's services and it was well worth the money.

She articulated the deficiencies (the ones I glossed over and ignored hoping no one would notice), made some suggestions to put me on the right path, and, most importantly, gave me renewed vigor in tackling a script that had lost some of its appeal to me.

Definitely a good value, and can't recommend her highly enough.

HH

Comment

What's her discount for Done Dealers?

Comment

Originally posted by entlassen View Post
        What's her discount for Done Dealers?
        I think it's 20%, but don't quote me on that.

By the way, I'm not sure what the rule of thumb is about saying too much, but she did offer to "get my script out to a couple of good people I know".

I want to fix the problems she pointed out before letting anyone else read it, though, so we'll see.

HH

Comment

Yes, 20% off for DDers for most services. Just mention it when you contact me and I'll send you the link to the discount page, which btw can be found if you Google "scriptgal discount page." Damn you, Google.
          ScriptGal
          Screenplay Consultation & Analysis
          Fifteen Years Development Experience
          http://www.scriptgal.com/

Discount for DD Members!

Comment

Amanda is a MUST for anyone wanting to take their script to the next level.She recently went over my action piece and brilliantly dissected it, giving me notes that will be instrumental in clearing up a number of issues.

In my mind she is the consummate pro in story analysis, and I will continue to seek her out for sage advice.
            Last edited by TGM; 09-16-2012, 05:37 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

A little update on my work with Amanda.

She gave me some great notes and after the rewrite, that was the script I took to pitch in Austin. It got me into the pitch finals and favorable response from the judges.

Amanda asked if she could pass it along to a manager for a read and she did. He liked it and got it to a producer. He likes it and we're supposed to talk this week.

I am cautiously optimistic, but I have to say that Amanda's help has been incredible.

Comment

I want to add my voice to the chorus. Amanda is a pleasure to work with. Her notes are thorough and always on the mark, and her guidance is superb. She is also very available to her clients.

One feels Amanda really has your back through what sometimes seems an overwhelming process - re-writes. One of her suggestions for our comedy script absolutely dismayed my partner and me. Then we tried it, and the script was not only better, it was easier to write, and had become more marketable.

I hope to post an update soon re our progress on the script and getting passed on to management.

Comment

I just got some notes back from Amanda and wanted to share my experience with other DDers: Amanda is the real deal. I submitted the same script to the Black List site and Amanda's evaluation of the script (considers for myself and the script) was on par with the Black List's where it received an 8 overall score.

Amanda even gave a few notes on how to get the script to a 9-10 rating which I've eagerly implemented.

I think we've all experienced readers where we roll the dice based on their genre preference, what they had to eat, or even more dangerously, a lack of ability to evaluate a script that is masked by their title of "reader" which may ultimately and irreparably damage our scripts.

Conversely, there are real READERS like Amanda (and Andrew) who can look at any script objectively and professionally. With the discount, Amanda's also one of the least inexpensive analysts to boot and has my wholehearted endorsement.

P.S. Amanda doesn't advertise this, but she offered me a referral to her contacts at the top agencies and management companies.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Holmes View Post
                    A little update on my work with Amanda.

She gave me some great notes and after the rewrite, that was the script I took to pitch in Austin. It got me into the pitch finals and favorable response from the judges.

Amanda asked if she could pass it along to a manager for a read and she did. He liked it and got it to a producer. He likes it and we're supposed to talk this week.

I am cautiously optimistic, but I have to say that Amanda's help has been incredible.
                    Congrats Colin!
                    www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
                    http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

• Re: My Plug For ScriptGal (Amanda)

Received notes earlier today from ScriptGal. I was extremely pleased and would definitely go to her again.

I felt like she really understood what I was going for, and offered great suggestions as to how to get there. I had a good idea about what elements were and weren't working, but she offered real insight that I desperately needed. I had grown a bit exhausted with my script, but now I can't wait to get back in there and go after it with an axe. When I'm done with that, I'll probably book an appointment with her for notes on another script.

I can't get quality feedback like this from anyone I know, so for me, her service is invaluable.

Thanks again!!

Comment

Wow, thanks everyone. I've been reading some really strong scripts so far this year - which is always exciting. One included what may be my favorite rom-com "meet cute" scene ever. It's fun to be surprised after all these years

FYI I'm taking currently taking appointments for the second week in February.

Cheers.

Amanda
                        ScriptGal
                        Screenplay Consultation & Analysis
                        Fifteen Years Development Experience
                        http://www.scriptgal.com/

Discount for DD Members!

Comment

ScriptGal is one of a kind! My script was sort of there, but with her advice and suggestions it has become stronger and better. If you need fresh eyes go to her!

Comment

Double plug.

I sent Amanda a script recently and she had a few really good insights.

I'll also say that there's a way to run a business with integrity--and she does that as well.

Comment

I'll echo all of the positive feedback Amanda is receiving on this thread as well as recommend sending her your first draft and getting the Development Notes early in the process.

I haven't written screenplays since film school 13 years ago (because I've been focusing on horrible short stories and the first four pages of nine novels) and wanted a reality check as soon as possible into the process of my first script in a while. I didn't want to find myself in a couple months polishing a 4th draft with six fatal flaws. I also tend to obsess (to a fault) over not being cliche in early drafts, so comments like this . . .

"The script seems almost determined to defy narrative conventions and includes many choices that seem frankly odd and counterintuitive. It feels as though the writer has on several occasions deliberately chosen the "road less taken,- and while surprising the reader/viewer is of course essential, certain choices in the current script veer so far from convention they actually undercut and diminish the overall effort. The script does seem to find its trajectory in the third act - which is satisfying dramatically and delivers all the right plot and emotional payoffs - but so much prior to this point feels so off-the-mark that I'm not sure this late-breaking strength is enough."

. . . are exactly what I need to check myself before I wreck myself. And they are followed with specific examples. So, yeah, I'm glad I heard this from a pro early on, and as I'm in the process of figuring out this story.

I know there's been lots of positive feedback on this thread from people who were given more praise than I was and maybe got a nice referral towards a rep or whatever (and that's great), but if you're someone who is comfortable with clear, tough, and thoughtful feedback that will force you to rethink a sh*t ton of your decisions, I would highly recommend getting Amanda involved early in your process and not worry about using her simply for validation. She can be way more helpful than that if you let her.

PS. Long time lurker, but this is my first post. Is it a savvy move to quote negative feedback about yourself on these boards? (Other than asking for a BL 2.0 refund, obviously, which we know comes off really well.)

Comment

Amanda reviewed two of my scripts and I was very impressed with the comments she gave. It wasn't just, "this was good, this wasn't, blah blah blah," she actually gave suggestions for improving structure and making certain elements gel better. If you're unsure about your script or just want it reviewed, definitely consider sending it to her.

Comment

Working...
                                X