No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRELBY Wish List / Bug Report

Hi, all ...

Trelby, which is the project of our own Anil here on Done Deal Pro, has gained some traction out there in the greater world. I have seen references to it away from this board.

Centos brought up a question that made me think it might be a good idea to have a Trelby "wish list" and "bug report" thread. Please post your requests and reports here. I will start off by posting what Centos mentioned.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Re: TRELBY Wish List / Bug Report

Centos reported:

ISSUE
    He cannot set Trelby to default to "Letter" paper (8.5x11") instead of A4. He knows that he can set the paper each time, but he cannot find a way to set a default.

I have already reported something about RTF to Anil.

ISSUE
    When I export as RTF, I always get an unformatted text file (everything flush left). The file has "styles" listed, and if you manually apply one of the styles to a paragraph, it will instantly format that paragraph. But in the raw RTF there appears to be no connection between the unformatted paragraph and the stored style. I tried opening the RTF in Word and in Atlantis, with the same results.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

For those who may have missed the announcement, Trelby 2.2 has been released. It incorporates UNDO/REDO, a "wish list" item that people requested before we started this list of requests and bug reports.

Support of some more formats has been added.

Remember, post any requests and bug reports in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
        For those who may have missed the announcement, Trelby 2.2 has been released.
        Thanks. I had missed it. Installed and working. Thanks also to the Trelby folks.
        STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

(System: Windows 7; Trelby 2.2)

EXPORT | Script Contains Errors

Why do I get a warning dialog "The script seems to contain errors" when I try to export even a simple page? The page contains no errors. Do other people get this same Warning Dialog?

~ ~ ~

EXPORT TO RTF

Previously reported, but still no change in Trelby 2.2.

Export to RTF produces a flush-left text file. Styles are included but are not applied to the paragraphs in the file. (You can apply them manually.) I checked this again just now with LibreOffice and Atlantis.

Comment

For the script error, you can use Script > Find Next Error, to see exactly the error that Trelby is seeing. The script formatting errors that Trelby can find are explained in the manual at:

http://www.trelby.org/files/manual.html#id2905727

Comment

Thanks, Anil ...

Yes, when I followed your instructions, Trelby found something that it did not like. I am sure it was the same thing every time that I experienced the problem (which was literally every time that I exported).

What it did not like was my habit of putting a final hard return at the very end of a file.

Instead of just leaving the cursor at the end of the last sentence, I usually put a hard return after the final period. Trelby does not like that - which is fine with me. I know now not to do it.

As for the old RTF issue, it is really of no great importance to me personally, since I regard RTF as an obsolete, imperfect scheme that is difficult to use. The only good thing about it for me is that it is useful when I have a document that I want to import into Word/Atlantis. If the paragraphs are tagged with styles, that facilitates the import.

A new issue or subject now.

I figured out the way to copy and paste. I understand that Ctrl+C will just copy internally, within Trelby, and not to the Windows clipboard. I also know that I can use the Edit menu to copy to the Windows clipboard (it took me some time to figure that out).

But are you sure that you want to use these nonstandard methods (nonstandard for Windows, anyway)?

Also, I like the idea of having a keystroke combo that just selects the current scene. But, again, using Ctrl+A for this is nonstandard for Windows.

Let me just raise some possibilities. Would it mess up the whole cross-platform approach to use a scheme maybe along these lines:

Ctrl+A
              Selects everything in the document (standard Windows behavior).

Ctrl+C
              Copies everything selected to the Windows clipboard (standard Windows behavior).

Shift+Ctrl+A
              Selects everything in the current scene (which is what Ctrl+A does now).

Shift+Ctrl+C
              Copies everything selected to the internal Trelby clipboard (which is what Ctrl+C does now).

I am not sure what the benefit there is in having a special clipboard (the internal Trelby clipboard), but in any case it is causing a problem that is trivial for me but could have significance for some people.

I use a very nice utility called Cinta Notes. It is a very nifty database program. Anytime I select text with the cursor, I can then use a hotkey to paste the selected text into the database. But it does not work with Trelby. When I select text (like something that shows a screenwriting or a grammatical/stylistic issue), and use the hotkey, the selected text is ignored. I get a blank entry.

For me this is not a big issue, but I think it points to a problem in how things are being sent to memory. The problem seems to be related to the "internal" clipboard within Trelby.

Anyway, something to think about.

Trelby is already an impressive program, Anil, and I think it will be even greater!

Best ...

Comment

As to #3,

You can easily change the keyboard shortcuts in File/Settings/Change/Keyboard shortcuts -- you can then switch the select scene, select all keys.

I do agree that the clipboard selection is cumbersome, but it is by necessity. let me think a little more about this, and hopefully we can implement ctrl-c to also copy to the windows clipboard (along with internal clipboard).

Comment

Thanks, Anil ...

Yes, when I followed your instructions, Trelby found something that it did not like. I am sure it was the same thing every time that I experienced the problem (which was literally every time that I exported).

What it did not like was my habit of putting a final hard return at the very end of a file.

Instead of just leaving the cursor at the end of the last sentence, I usually put a hard return after the final period. Trelby does not like that - which is fine with me. I know now not to do it.
                  Ah, so that's it. I've had the same issue. I was able to confirm the same (non-error) results when leaving the cursor at the end of the last line. I also normally start a new line when I close a file. I've just been ignoring the "error" result, but it's better to know why it's happening -- just in case there are other formatting errors.

Thanks.
                  STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Minor bug:

I have reported this directly to Anil by email with a PDF illustration.

PROBLEM:
                    When importing a .fountain file that has code to center and underline a term like Scene 1 in:

>ACT I<

>_Scene 1_<

Trelby ignores the unsupported underline code and in so doing messes up the proper centering of

ACT I

Scene 1

This is easily fixed within Trelby itself, but it is still unexpected behavior that the developer should be aware of.

Comment

Minor bug:

I have reported this directly to Anil by email with a PDF illustration.

PROBLEM:
                      When importing a .fountain file that has code to center and underline a term like Scene 1 in:

>ACT I<

>_Scene 1_<

Trelby ignores the unsupported underline code and in so doing messes up the proper centering of

ACT I

Scene 1

This is easily fixed within Trelby itself, but it is still unexpected behavior that the developer should be aware of.
                      I tried this and copied below is what Trelby imports:

Code:
                                                 ACT I

Scene 1
                      Which looks almost fine (centering seems to be off by 1 character, I'll look into that). The underline formatting is removed as you selected that option when importing fountain file.

Is this the issue you were talking about, or something else?

Comment

Yeah, that is what I was talking about. I know that it is very trivial, and easily remedied within Trelby or in Final Draft if a Trelby file is exported to .fdx.

I was just pointing out that the removal of the underscore (code for the unsupported italics) causes the centering to be off.

Best ...

Roland

Comment

I just installed Trelby today, so I haven't had much of a chance to get acquainted with it, but right off I can't find an easy way to manually change the styles. I realize most of the time I won't need to change them manually, but there might be occasions when I want to. Maybe I just missed this feature.

Other thing I'd like is a zoom function. I always zoom to larger text (usually about a 130% zoom) so it's easier on my bad eyes. This would be a great option for those of us who get eyestrain from reading small text.
                          "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
                          ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

Ravenlocks,

Right-click on the paragraph in question. You will see a popup menu that will let you change the element type.

I agree that a drop-down menu at the top, with the various element types, would be really nice to have available.

As for zoom, I do not believe that it has one yet.
                            Last edited by ComicBent; 11-08-2012, 11:17 PM.

Comment

For a separate issue ... I would like to see some modification or expansion of the character code set. Right now the basic "em dash" is unavailable. I really do not like the use of a double hyphen (--) for a true dash, and a hypen is too short. The double hyphen is nothing but an old typewriter convention, and besides looking terrible, it will probably split somewhere or another, and you will get a hyphen at the end of a line and a hyphen at the beginning of the next line. I have not used Trelby enough to test for this, but I suspect it would happen.

In Windows you can use the ALT key and the numeric keyboard to make an em dash (code 0151). Unfortunately, the official character code set does not define an em dash (why, for God's sake? What were they thinking?). Windows addressed this by adding the en and em dashes to the official character code set. (What Windows calls ANSI is really a modified version, or something like that, as I understand the matter.) However, the more modern Unicode specification includes the em dash (and just about every other mark and scratch from every obscure clicking dialect known to man) at number 2014 hex. Unfortunately, in Trelby you cannot enter either the Windows "ANSI" code for the em dash or the Unicode hex code for it.

In Final Draft you can set up a macro that automatically converts two hyphens to a true dash, and in Screenwriter you can just select the kind of dash that you want (at least for Scene Headings; you may have to use the code to insert it in action and dialogue).

Comment

Working...
                              X