Will you consider rating my blcklst hosted script?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Will you consider rating my blcklst hosted script?

Thank you, Sallain. I'm preparing to start querying but i thought if I could pull a good score on BL it would help the process. I went ahead and paid for another review a few minutes ago and if this one comes back more positive I'll post a link. I hope the next reader will spend a little more time ingesting the material.
    We gain our innocence by taking yours.

Comment

Originally posted by AE35-Unit View Post
      I went ahead and paid for another review a few minutes ago and if this one comes back more positive I'll post a link. I hope the next reader will spend a little more time ingesting the material.
      Getting a second review, I think, is a good thing. It'll give you a better idea of where it stands on the site, and if you pull out a 7 or better, your average should land you on the Top Uploaded Scripts for the week and month -- so more exposure.

Good luck with the 2nd read!!

Comment

I hope it will do better this time. Thanks and good luck to you also.

Comment

Your story sounds very familiar. In my case I decided not to throw good money after bad.

Originally posted by AE35-Unit View Post
          I'm in a little bit of a quandary. I sent my newest spec to Andrew Hilton and he came back with a glowing review and a double 'consider'. He said the script needed basically nothing. Buoyed by his comments, I posted it to BL yesterday, paid for a review, and within three hours it came in - at a 6.

I'm kind of light on cash at the moment and I can't really afford another 50 or 100 bucks for more reviews. Plus I'm concerned now that subsequent reviews may not be any better, or even worse. I understand the subjectivity of the reader but based on the review compared to Andrew's, I think the reader may have skimmed it. Especially since the review came back so quick.

From what I've been able to glean any score under an 8 makes the thing pretty much dead in the water.

Based on this information: Should I pony up another 50 bucks for a second review or just take it down now? The reviewer had problems with things Andrew liked the most and I trust him a great deal more.
          PuppyTummy.com

Comment

I do not believe it is throwing good money after bad. I believe BL is doing us all a great service and I did not mean to infer any animosity towards the site or its people. I apologize if that is the way it came out.

Comment

Getting a score of '7' on a second read won't help at all. And if your first score is lower the average will not land you on any list pros will check out.

Comment

Originally posted by Storytell View Post
                Getting a score of '7' on a second read won't help at all. And if your first score is lower the average will not land you on any list pros will check out.
                I don't know what lists pros read, but my script, Destiny of the Sword, received a 6 and then a 7 which landed it on the Top Uploaded Script list for the month. The 6.5 average was lower than the community average of 6.66 at the time, but my script was there. It also made the Scripts That Everyone Likes list as well.

I then went for a 3rd read and got another 6. But my script still stayed on all those lists for about 3 weeks or so with a 6.33 average.

Okay, then I got greedy and tried a 4th read for that elusive 8 or better. And a low-ball score of 3 stripped me of all lists and any momentum I may have had.

I can't say a 7 absolutely will or won't help, but I can tell you my own experience. Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremynt View Post
                  I don't know what lists pros read, but my script, Destiny of the Sword, received a 6 and then a 7 which landed it on the Top Uploaded Script list for the month. The 6.5 average was lower than the community average of 6.66 at the time, but my script was there. It also made the Scripts That Everyone Likes list as well.
                  Congrats on landing on the Top Uploaded Script list, Jeremynt! Just curious, how many downloads did that lead to (you can PM me if you prefer)?
                  "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

My first draft of TIME MACHINE only scored a 7 overall, but got a 9 for premise and 8 for dialogue. So it went out on the Friday newsletter. I mentioned this is my first batch of query letters and got about 6 script requests as a result. And one of those requests just turned into a phone meeting this coming week. So it's not like a 7 is useless. Even making it onto the Friday newsletter can help get you reads.

Mind you, when I uploaded my rewrite and received an 8 overall, I got expotentially more script requests. So there really is a dramatic difference if you score an 8 and above. But it's far from useless if you fall a little short.

But the best thing about getting a 7 is that it motivates you to do a rewrite.

The worst thing that could happen, is that your script is borderline marketable, but a BL reader feels generous and gives you an 8 instead of a 7. So you get a bunch of script requests, but nothing comes of it because your script isn't quite there yet. So you just ruined your chances with every single company that took an interest in your script.

In hindsight, I'm really glad my first draft only scored a 7. I cut my query campaign short as a result and focused all my energy on the rewrite.

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
                      Congrats on landing on the Top Uploaded Script list, Jeremynt! Just curious, how many downloads did that lead to (you can PM me if you prefer)?
                      Thanks. Destiny's received 13 downloads including the 4 paid reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremynt View Post
                        Thanks. Destiny's received 13 downloads including the 4 paid reviews.
                        Awesome! You too, Gary!
                        Last edited by UpandComing; 06-16-2013, 03:17 PM.
                        "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dragan Milin View Post
                          My first draft of TIME MACHINE only scored a 7 overall, but got a 9 for premise and 8 for dialogue. So it went out on the Friday newsletter. I mentioned this is my first batch of query letters and got about 6 script requests as a result. And one of those requests just turned into a phone meeting this coming week. So it's not like a 7 is useless. Even making it onto the Friday newsletter can help get you reads.

Mind you, when I uploaded my rewrite and received an 8 overall, I got expotentially more script requests. So there really is a dramatic difference if you score an 8 and above. But it's far from useless if you fall a little short.

But the best thing about getting a 7 is that it motivates you to do a rewrite.

The worst thing that could happen, is that your script is borderline marketable, but a BL reader feels generous and gives you an 8 instead of a 7. So you get a bunch of script requests, but nothing comes of it because your script isn't quite there yet. So you just ruined your chances with every single company that took an interest in your script.

In hindsight, I'm really glad my first draft only scored a 7. I cut my query campaign short as a result and focused all my energy on the rewrite.
                          That's awesome, Gary! That shows 7's are close. Mine is actually a rewrite of a 7 a few months ago, too, but I still hit that 7 again.

I hope your phone meeting goes well!

Comment

Glad you folks are doing well with it. Mine will be an uphill battle even if it got 9's (which I don't expect) because of the subject matter. It's geared more for the Indie market. If i could pull out a couple of 8's (got 2 7's this time) in any category I can at least mention it down the road. I'll have to do a narrow market, targeted shop on it, but we'll see. Good story though.

LOGLINE: When his high school sweetheart moves back to their rural hometown with her wife to open an antiques store, a single father with an eight year son offers to help rebuild their roof and the two families gradually become one.
                            Last edited by AE35-Unit; 06-16-2013, 05:11 PM.

Comment

That's great Jeremynt. Was under the impression (wrongly apparently) that a '7' overall after a lower score would average below any list The Black List generates.

Obviously I was wrong. Glad to hear this and good luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Storytell View Post
                                That's great Jeremynt. Was under the impression (wrongly apparently) that a '7' overall after a lower score would average below any list The Black List generates.

Obviously I was wrong. Glad to hear this and good luck to you.
                                Well, I always heard you had to score a higher average than the community average-- but that wasn't the case with mine. There must be something more or maybe the uploaded script average is different than community average.

Comment

Working...
                                X