Will you consider rating my blcklst hosted script?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whew. Wow. Where to begin?

Some time ago I accepted I was never going to be good enough and walked away. Disappointed as I was, I felt a sense of peace. But when the Black List came out I had to know, just had to know where I stood.

Title: Runnin' With The Devil

Era: Present

Locations: London

Budget: Medium

Genre: Gangster, Crime Thriller, Film Noir

Pages: 100

Overall: 8/10

Logline:
    Petty career criminal RYAN BLAKE finds himself in a mortal bind after losing forty thousand pounds borrowed from psychopathic mob boss DAVID CONNOLLY. Now, with his life on the line, a desperate Ryan makes a Faustian bargain with wealthy businessman FRASIER DOUGLAS-HAMILTON, who agrees to pay off Ryan’s debt in exchange for murdering his wife.

Strengths:
    This script grabs the reader right from the start with its unique, stylized voice and a conflict-packed story which races forward at an exhilarating pace. It’s also filled with indelible, fully realized characters that leap off the page. This is especially true of two-bit protagonist RYAN and his great adversary, CONNOLLY, an electrifying antagonist who is both hilarious and terrifying. Ryan’s character growth is clear and solidly built over the course of the story, culminating with a realization about his life that comes heartbreakingly late. The scene construction is advanced throughout, with a knack for upending the audience’s expectations mid-scene. It’s a gambit that keeps the audience guessing and invested, even in the final scenes which pack a reveal the audience should see coming, but doesn’t. The script also displays a fantastic ear for dialogue, replete with snappy back and forth, and witty one-liners audiences will likely remember long after the movie is over.

Weaknesses:
    This centres on some coincidences that are a bit too hard to believe. Ive omitted details so as not to spoil the read for interested parties.

Prospects:
    A fun, gritty crime drama in the vein of LAYER CAKE and SNATCH, this script has the strong characters (with fantastic dialogue) that could go on to attract an A-list cast. With just slightly more work done to strengthen Ryan’s character (making him more likable while keeping his tragic arc intact) and to make the plot feel a bit more organic (smoothing away some of the coincidences), this project could go on to have solid commercial prospects.

I know it's only one read and that opinions are like arseholes but to say I feel vindicated is an understatement. I logged in expecting a max of 4/10 and hoping for a 6. I'm especially pleased about dialogue & characters as these are what I've been most self conscious about. I was shaking upon reading the compliments and even though it's not a 10, feel I can hold my head up high when around other amateurs.

Don't I get included in an email now?
    Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 06-24-2013, 12:06 PM.
    M.A.G.A.

Comment

• Re: Will you consider rating my blcklst hosted script?

Just a quick note reminding anyone who is interested and on Twitter that I'll be the guest on #scriptchat tonight from 5-6PM PST, tweeting under the @theblcklst handle.

Comment

• Re: Whew. Wow. Where to begin?

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post

Don't I get included in an email now?

Fantastic, Sundown. Congratulations! Sounds fun.

You get included in an email if your overall score is an 8 or above. Or for individual categories if they are an 8 or above. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks Figment. I got an 8 overall and 8 in most categories too. Aren't there different emails depending on whether your score was overall or certain categories? I tried scouring the main BL thread (but it's hard when over 200 pages).

And once again, thanks, today has been a great day.
          M.A.G.A.

Comment

Thanks Figment. I got an 8 overall and 8 in most categories too. Aren't there different emails depending on whether your score was overall or certain categories? I tried scouring the main BL thread (but it's hard when over 200 pages).

Congratz! You've now increased your chances of success from a measly 0% to a whopping 4%! (according to Lauri).
            I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Depending on which day the review came, you should be included in the individual component one on Friday and the 8+ overall email on Monday.

Comment

Congrats, Sundown. I know how you feel regarding validation. Good luck with it!

Comment

Originally posted by CColoredClown View Post
                  Depending on which day the review came, you should be included in the individual component one on Friday and the 8+ overall email on Monday.
                  I just logged into the site and seen a massive upsurge in downloads from 3 to 11 so maybe I was in that email today.

EDIT: 2 hours later and another 5 downloads. And all it takes is just one to come with a very fat cheque. Here kitty, kitty!

Originally posted by Anointed View Post
                  Congrats, Sundown. I know how you feel regarding validation. Good luck with it!
                  Thanks and glad to know you know what it feels like.
                  Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 06-24-2013, 02:55 PM.
                  M.A.G.A.

Comment

I just logged into the site and seen a massive upsurge in downloads from 3 to 11 so maybe I was in that email today.

EDIT: 2 hours later and another 5 downloads. And all it takes is just one to come with a very fat cheque. Here kitty, kitty!
                    That's great!! I wish you the best!

Comment

Aren't there different emails depending on whether your score was overall or certain categories?
                      I only get one email each week, of scripts with "high ratings" (of which yours was one today).

Comment

Originally posted by Brice View Post
                        I only get one email each week, of scripts with "high ratings" (of which yours was one today).
                        This is probably the case because you haven't expressed genre, budget preferences etc in the account settings page. You should be getting a Friday email as well. If you're not getting it, do email us so that we can make sure you do. Great stuff in there.

Comment

New site redesign looks great, I've not used the service for six months and was conflicted about using it again. Really pleased by the changes I've seen and will probably give it another shot.
                          Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

Glad to hear that people are responding so well to the redesign. Let us know as you find quirks. It remains a work in progress.

Comment

Will you consider rating my horror/sci-fi script?

SHADES OF GREY

FBI profiler Jack Grey discovers that the serial killer he's tracking is a psychotic version of himself from a parallel world.

https://blcklst.com/members/script/9533

Thanks,

Mike
                              Last edited by LordStirling; 07-16-2013, 12:31 PM. Reason: link did not work

Comment

Originally posted by LordStirling View Post
                                Will you consider rating my horror/sci-fi script?

SHADES OF GREY

FBI profiler Jack Grey discovers that the serial killer he's tracking is a psychotic version of himself from a parallel world.

http://blcklst.com/member/scripts/view/9533

Thanks,

Mike
                                Your link doesn't work. I think you need to add an (s) onto member(s) -- should be ...members/scripts...

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X