X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
    Thanks for the compliment. Credit also goes to Dino Sijamic, Terry Huang, and Glen Charbonneau.

For those of you curious which numbers,

here's our 2013 Annual Report.
    That was really cool..I love that you are a numbers guy! It is very fun to look at.

The Black List is like Moneyball for writers.
    "Running down a dream, that never would come to me." Tom Petty

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
      It sounds like you're looking for script notes and that's not what the Black List is about. If you sent your script in to a production company and the boss wanted a rundown, the reader wouldn't break down every flaw with the script. He may mention some specifics but not much more than passing comments. The reader would give his boss a fairly concise overview of the script and his verdict as to whether it's a goer or not.

Your $50 is really to gauge where your script stands with the pros and if it holds its own, provides a very attractive lure for the big fish prowling the waters.

But to answer your question, there's a number of reviews posted. Look for a really long Black List thread (can't remember the title now).
      Originally posted by RobWriter View Post
      As Sundown says, Black List isn't a place you should be looking for coverage/development help. In my experience, the turnaround between a paid reader download and then the posting of their review has been as short as 4 hours. That's not a whole lot of time in my opinion to give you deep, meaningful feedback. Can you get some helpful stuff from the BL? I have, sure. But, then again, that's not what I was using it for.

If you are looking for a place that gives more insightful coverage and has the ability to put your script in front of industry types, I would suggest researching the offerings by the Tracking Board.

Here's a thread where I posted two paid reviews of my script:

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...158#post881158
      Thanks guys useful info and thanks for posting your reviews Rob

Comment

there's a number of reviews posted. Look for a really long Black List thread (can't remember the title now).
        Try this early Black List thread.
        "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Your $50 is really to gauge where your script stands with the pros and if it holds its own, provides a very attractive lure for the big fish prowling the waters.
          I just wanted to offer a point of possible clarification, (I'm seriously not picking on you SundownInRetreat) because I don't think The Black List is there for writers to guage if they're writing at the professional level or not. Sure, it is being used that way, and to some degree the reviews can give the writer insight, but that's not it's intention. At least not from what I get from the site.

Certainly, not every pro script receives 8s and above-- I know this to be true. The reviews are a tool for the membership to ascertain the quality of the writing and the viability of bringing the project to market. It covers strengths and weaknesses to provide insight to the money people who are trying limit their risk-- or at least get a better understanding of their risk. It provides a commentary on the level of execution.

I have a pro writer friend who said that sometimes when a script goes out, some people really hate it and some people really love it. It's subjective. And to some degree we need to understand that this is true when you receive a review. The review is an opinion based on the reader's skillset, but their personal opinion comes into play, too. It can't be avoided.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say that the reader(s) is wrong as when it comes to opinion that's all it is, an opinion. Yes, the membership will look at the review and determine whether to read or not read your spec. That's the risk and the benefit. The expectation that the quality of the review be the highest possible level is our right as 1) we are paying for it (even if it's nominal) and 2) Because the owner of the site has told us that they stand behind their readers.

The TBL website is a marketplace designed to connect writers who have something to sell, either a script or themselves, with people who want to 'buy' what they're selling.

As a writer I feel it's important to explore every avenue possible to sell your spec. It only takes one, and The Black List just might be the right place to find the 'one.'

Maybe I'm wrong, and you can clear it up for me if you believe this not to be true, after all, it's just my opinion.

Best,
          FA4
          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
            I just wanted to offer a point of possible clarification, (I'm seriously not picking on you SundownInRetreat)
            No worries.

because I don't think The Black List is there for writers to guage if they're writing at the professional level or not but that's not it's intention. At least not from what I get from the site.The reviews are a tool for the membership to ascertain the quality of the writing and the viability of bringing the project to market.
            Which is exactly what I was saying. Yes, it's to connect writers to those wanting product but so does InkTip and TBL is light years ahead of that. The TBL has industry players looking for pro quality material that they can take to market. They're not interested in a raw rookie or a so-bad-they'll-never-be-a-writer. This is why I said it measures you against the big boys as it is marked to the same exacting standards of the industry - as Franklin has stated many times. Throw in the scoring system too and you see where I was coming from. It's not just a pass but a score (subjective, of course, but that's the nature of ze beast). if that score is 8+ and you're plastered all over the emails and top lists then that's going to be very alluring to the big guns. If you're just getting 4s and 5s and few views then even though your main intention may have been to sell your script, you've still been measured. See?
            M.A.G.A.

Comment

Hi Franklin,

What is the current site average for uploaded scripts?

Comment

Back in the days, I wrote an indie drama I really liked. I sent hundreds and hundreds of query letters. Nobody wanted to hear about it.
                I uploaded the script on the BL, got an 8 (low premise, but 9/10 everywhere else), then queried the script again, but only this time, I mentioned the BL score in my message. Got 9 read requests from big Agencies and production companies. Now I'm waiting for their answer.
                I got to say thank you to Franklin. It's an exceptional tool for us, scriptwriters. I firmly believe that if you have the chops, it's way more easier to be noticed with the help of the Black List.
                Fingers crossed for me to be included in your "success" stats in the very near future!

Comment

Originally posted by Jiminho View Post
                  Back in the days, I wrote an indie drama I really liked. I sent hundreds and hundreds of query letters. Nobody wanted to hear about it.
                  I uploaded the script on the BL, got an 8 (low premise, but 9/10 everywhere else), then queried the script again, but only this time, I mentioned the BL score in my message. Got 9 read requests from big Agencies and production companies. Now I'm waiting for their answer.
                  This makes a good point. If you get a good score but you don't get an immediate response based on an appearance in the BL newsletter, you can still use the rating in queries, in applying for gigs, on your website, etc. And, as I mentioned before, you can use positive BL feedback even if the overall score isn't great.
                  "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                    This makes a good point. If you get a good score but you don't get an immediate response based on an appearance in the BL newsletter, you can still use the rating in queries, in applying for gigs, on your website, etc. And, as I mentioned before, you can use positive BL feedback even if the overall score isn't great.
                    This is also a pretty good idea!

Comment

Quick question for people that have used the service: Any advantage to making your screenplay downloadable by peers? I've had a few peer views is why I'm wondering.
                      SL35
                      Potent dreamer. Newb disclaimer.

Comment

Originally posted by Jiminho View Post
                        I got to say thank you to Franklin. It's an exceptional tool for us, scriptwriters. I firmly believe that if you have the chops, it's way more easier to be noticed with the help of the Black List.
                        Fingers crossed for me to be included in your "success" stats in the very near future!
                        So glad to hear that. Keeping my fingers crossed for you as well.

Comment

Silverlynx35,

I haven't made my script available to peers. I don't see any advantage to that. Unless you want to show off your abilities, I guess. Anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeKaplan View Post
                            Silverlynx35,

I haven't made my script available to peers. I don't see any advantage to that. Unless you want to show off your abilities, I guess. Anyone else?
                            I haven't made mine available either. I don't think there's any advantage to having your script out and available for anyone to read. There something to be said for exclusivity.

Comment

Question for Franklin:

I just posted my first script on the site around Jan. 1st. At that time, I noticed a screen that had the "most recently uploaded" scripts, and mine was in the list. It looked like the "Top List" page in format, with a logo and some of the logline. But, for some reason, I have never seen that page again. I was just beginning to learn how to navigate the site, and I have not been able to find my way back to the "most recent uploads."

Does this list not exist? Is it something that is only generated for a moment after you register your script?

If this is the case, would it be possible to create a "most recent uploads" page that scrolls backwards chronologically to a certain point? I think it would be kind of cool to be able to see what is trending in that sense.
                              "Running down a dream, that never would come to me." Tom Petty

Comment

Originally posted by Exponent5 View Post
                                Question for Franklin:

I just posted my first script on the site around Jan. 1st. At that time, I noticed a screen that had the "most recently uploaded" scripts, and mine was in the list. It looked like the "Top List" page in format, with a logo and some of the logline. But, for some reason, I have never seen that page again. I was just beginning to learn how to navigate the site, and I have not been able to find my way back to the "most recent uploads."

Does this list not exist? Is it something that is only generated for a moment after you register your script?

If this is the case, would it be possible to create a "most recent uploads" page that scrolls backwards chronologically to a certain point? I think it would be kind of cool to be able to see what is trending in that sense.
                                Odd, I put mine up on 12/31 and it hasn't even been reader downloaded yet. Wonder if that's due to genre availability?
                                SL35
                                Potent dreamer. Newb disclaimer.

Comment

Working...
                                X