This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

What about scripts that top a particular genre, or sub-genre 'list'. Are there any regular emails that convey this information to 'pros'?

For example, a search on 'CIA', results in about 150 scripts ranked by their evaluation rating.

I ask with a vested interest of course as I have a screenplay which is about number six on this list......

Clem

Comment

Originally posted by Silverlynx35 View Post
      Ok, now that I've experienced the Black list, here is my question:
      In reading the review, the reader cites missing beats to make emotional connections between the two main characters. I feel that there were several scenes that set up the emotional transitions.

IF, I want to register a complaint, who arbitrates? Does someone go in and read the review then look over the screenplay again? I understand it's subjective and that I'm attached, etc., so I can accept that it needs work. But the area listed as weakness seems to have been covered...or so I thought.

I don't want to create extra work for BL by whining so I'm not sure if it's worth saying something about.

Any thoughts?
      Yes, I quoted myself...
      I just wanted to come back and say I was very satisfied with my BL experience. I mentioned that the original reader seemed to skim. I was given a second read and, while I still scored low, the review was so much more helpful.

I've decide to make the script available as well as the review in case anyone wants to look. Maybe this will help you understand how this process works and if you want to give me feedback, bonus for me.

https://www.blcklst.com/members/scripts/view/13842
      SL35
      Potent dreamer. Newb disclaimer.

Comment

Gotta Question of curiosity for Franklin:

I've seen a few 10 ratings scattered here and there on some of the Top Lists. What I'm wondering is the breakdown of that rating as it relates to Pro Members handing it out vs. Paid Readers delivering it as their overall score.

Are you able to divulge the numbers on that?

Thanks,
        AP

Comment

• Niche Screenplay

I have a screenplay that I'm thinking of hosting on the BlackList but I'm not sure if it's "right" for BL. I know there are genre categories -- drama, comedy, horror, sci-fi -- and lots of subgenres, but is there also a category (and a reader, too) for faith-based, inspirational? You know, something that might appear on the Hallmark Channel. Or is that too much of a niche genre and thereby unlikely to be able to compete with the broader, more commercial categories? I've hosted before, but that was back at the beginning (late 2012) so I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not.

Comment

• Re: Niche Screenplay

Originally posted by Cooper View Post
            I have a screenplay that I'm thinking of hosting on the BlackList but I'm not sure if it's "right" for BL. I know there are genre categories -- drama, comedy, horror, sci-fi -- and lots of subgenres, but is there also a category (and a reader, too) for faith-based, inspirational? You know, something that might appear on the Hallmark Channel. Or is that too much of a niche genre and thereby unlikely to be able to compete with the broader, more commercial categories? I've hosted before, but that was back at the beginning (late 2012) so I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not.
            I assume that would go under supernatural.
            M.A.G.A.

Comment

Not in the main genres, there isn't. Unless it could be considered "Family"?

But under the other TAGS section you can narrow your script by Theme. Checking boxes under it for: faith, compassion, humility, empowerment...

There's also a TAG for Religion. Under it you can pick Catholic, Christian, Buddhism, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
                Not in the main genres, there isn't. Unless it could be considered "Family"?

But under the other TAGS section you can narrow your script by Theme. Checking boxes under it for: faith, compassion, humility, empowerment...

There's also a TAG for Religion. Under it you can pick Catholic, Christian, Buddhism, etc...
                Thanks so much for checking for me, figment -- BL didn't have the TAGS section back when I hosted.

Faith-based, inspirational are a specific subgenre, often within "Family" but not necessarily. They do indeed often have the themes you've suggested, but they aren't necessarily about religion.

It does seem that this type of screenplay isn't BL material, unless FL says otherwise?

I appreciate your input.

Comment

It does seem that this type of screenplay isn't BL material, unless FL says otherwise?

I don't see why anyone would assume ANY type of script "isn't BL material."

The BL has 2000 + pro members. Presumably they're looking for all sorts of different types of material.

The hundreds of categories for tagging also suggest that people are looking for lots of different things.
                  "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

I think that you could make the assumption that those industry members are looking for faith based films in the same ratio as much of the industry is. So it's much lower than thrillers, comedies, etc... But doesn't mean there isn't a specific exec or producer amongst them looking for one...

Comment

Hey Franklin,

I purchased two reads for a script I hosted today, only to realize that rather than having me put in my credit card info, it simply charged it to the old car on my account (which is no longer valid). I updated my card afterwards, but do I need to purchase the reads again, or will it automatically charge them to the updated card? Thanks.

*Edit...when I went to the Billing area, it said the first purchase was declined, so I just re-purchased them after the cc was updated.
                      Last edited by CthulhuRises; 01-20-2014, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Hi Franklin,

Any reason the Monday industry emails didn't go out yesterday? I assume it's because you're out of town?

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodi View Post
                          Hi Franklin,

Any reason the Monday industry emails didn't go out yesterday? I assume it's because you're out of town?
                          MLK Day.

They're going out this afternoon.

Comment

Quick question to everybody.

Say you have a script and yourself get a "Consider" at one of the BIG 3.

What would you say would be an acceptable range of likely rankings that writer and script should expect from BL readers (within a 1.5 point variance)?

I would be interested in Franklins perspective here as well. Once we get a few responses I'll post the follow up.
                            Eric
                            www.scriptreadguaranteed.com

Comment

Originally posted by harbak View Post
                              Quick question to everybody.

Say you have a script and yourself get a "Consider" at one of the BIG 3.

What would you say would be an acceptable range of likely rankings that writer and script should expect from BL readers (within a 1.5 point variance)?

I would be interested in Franklins perspective here as well. Once we get a few responses I'll post the follow up.
                              Because of the subjectivity involved and the fact that a completely different readers are putting eyes on your script - I would find any range acceptable.

About the only thing that would surprise me is if you got a 1 or a 2 after getting a consider by one of the Big 3. But, at the end of the day, it wouldn't be that head scratching to me.

I just don't think its good practice for anyone to "expect" a certain rating from the BL based on past experience with anything.

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
                                MLK Day.

They're going out this afternoon.
                                Of course, excuse my ignorance, I'm not in the United States.

Comment

Working...
                                X