X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Originally posted by AE35-Unit View Post
    LIMAMA I snorted coffee on that one. effin' hilarious.
    I mean, come on! The reader said the things that happened in the script couldn't have happened within the "time frame". It's freaking SUMMER VACATION and it's a MOVIE. Someone taking this a tad too literally?
    http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

I got dinged because the language didn't have to be so coarse in a couple of scenes. I know it's subjective but sheesh. Must be a reader for the MPAA.
      We gain our innocence by taking yours.

Comment

Just got some awesome news from the Black List. Not sure if I can divulge yet, but after reading some of the recent skeptical posts, let me just say from personal experience that if you have a great script, reps and execs on the site will find you. That's what the site was built for. So far, I've had an A-list management/production company slip my script to a few of the companies behind one of the biggest hits this summer. Other execs/reps have mentioned that they've seen and/or read me via the site. And if you were an early adopter but quit hosting, there will soon be another compelling reason to come back.
        Last edited by lordmanji; 07-21-2013, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
          Just got some awesome news from the Black List. Not sure if I can divulge yet, but after reading some of the recent skeptical posts, let me just say from personal experience that if you have a great script, reps and execs on the site will find you. That's what the site was built for. So far, I've had an A-list management/production company slip my script to a few of the companies behind one of the biggest hits this summer. Other execs/reps have mentioned that they've seen and/or read me via the site. And if you were an early adopter but quit hosting, there will soon be another compelling reason to come back.
          That's great, more power to you. But what constitutes a "great script" is the million dollar question. What one person lauds as a great script, another might view as awful. At the end of the day, it's all about personal preferences, tastes and opinions. And also about what makes money, or not. Look at the box office from this weekend. Somebody thought RIPD was a great script (or idea). And AFTER EARTH. And WHITE HOUSE DOWN. I could go on and on and on.....

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
            That's great, more power to you. But what constitutes a "great script" is the million dollar question. What one person lauds as a great script, another might view as awful. At the end of the day, it's all about personal preferences, tastes and opinions. And also about what makes money, or not. Look at the box office from this weekend. Somebody thought RIPD was a great script (or idea). And AFTER EARTH. And WHITE HOUSE DOWN. I could go on and on and on.....
            I think first, you have to separate the script from the movie. Every produced script I've read, no matter how bad it "bombed" critically or commercially, has been by far better than the majority of unproduced scripts.

Second, by definition there's a general consensus on what constitutes "great." While there may be detractors, "great" is something that most people more than like.

Specifically regarding The Black List, and expanded to include any arena where works are judged, there will always be a degree of subjectivity. But great scripts will transcend genre, "personal preferences, tastes and opinions" because more will love it than not; because it taps into a part of what makes us all human.

My own list of favorite/great scripts is pretty varied, and as I understand it, the Black List directs scripts to readers who are inclined to like it.

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
              I think first, you have to separate the script from the movie. Every produced script I've read, no matter how bad it "bombed" critically or commercially, has been by far better than the majority of unproduced scripts.

Second, by definition there's a general consensus on what constitutes "great." While there may be detractors, "great" is something that most people more than like.

Specifically regarding The Black List, and expanded to include any arena where works are judged, there will always be a degree of subjectivity. But great scripts will transcend genre, "personal preferences, tastes and opinions" because more will love it than not; because it taps into a part of what makes us all human.

My own list of favorite/great scripts is pretty varied, and as I understand it, the Black List directs scripts to readers who are inclined to like it.
              "All my best work is in the closet in my bedroom." - Nora Ephron.

Congrats on getting positive feedback but there are tons of unproduced scripts out there that are really very good that never see the light of day. And BL is not going to cure that. I hope yours continues to do well and something comes of it.

Comment

With the BL, you have ONE SHOT--for $50. Your script could be the greatest thing since War and Peace, but if that reader doesn't connect with it and give it a 8 or higher, it's virtually DOA. I have not heard of one success story with a script that didn't have a paid read with a score of 8 or higher. Has any script gotten anywhere in terms of a manager, agent or producer without a paid read? If such a beast exists, I'd love to know about it.

Comment

Limama, I don't have stats but i think you are pretty much dead-on target. I suppose it is possible someone may stumble across your logline but it would have to be precisely what they're looking for. Of the 62 specs sold so far this year, the majority are thrillers and action. So if you didn't write one of those, without an 8 or better, you should probably take it down. I'm waiting on one more review and it doesn't get an 8 in at least 1 category, I'm going to pull mine.

Again, this is more my opinion than anything so your mileage may vary but I've seen scripts still being hosted with a rating of like a 2 and a 4. To me, that's negative publicity and the $25 a month could be better spent on stamps.
                  Last edited by AE35-Unit; 07-22-2013, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
                    With the BL, you have ONE SHOT--for $50. Your script could be the greatest thing since War and Peace, but if that reader doesn't connect with it and give it a 8 or higher, it's virtually DOA. I have not heard of one success story with a script that didn't have a paid read with a score of 8 or higher. Has any script gotten anywhere in terms of a manager, agent or producer without a paid read? If such a beast exists, I'd love to know about it.
                    Yes, a DDPer got management and an 8 rating without paying for a read - I'm interviewing him for my blog and will post it here when done (unless he decides not to, of course).
                    www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
                    http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

Two quick thoughts:

1. If you believe that your reader was asleep at the wheel, for at least the twelfth time on a Done Deal forum, PLEASE email us. I can guarantee you that I'll be more disappointed with a poor quality review than you are, and something will be done about it. Grousing about it after the fact without having raised the issue to us directly doesn't do anyone much good.

2. Certainly getting an 8 or above helps drive attention. That is as it should be. The scripts that elicit the strongest positive responses are the ones that our industry professional members are most interested in reading.

That said, take a closer look at the #s in the Month Five statistics. You'll note that precious few scripts have an average of 8 or above, and scripts with an average of 7.0 or better only account for 38% of industry pro downloads.

The flip side of that is that 62% of industry downloads are for scripts with average ratings of less than 7.0.

This is not to say that you should keep your script up if it's average is <5.5, but this idea that an 8 from one of our paid readers is the only way to really attract attention is quite untrue.

Comment

As promised, my interview with fellow DDP member Paul Zeidman is up!

http://www.bayareascreenwriters.org/...-paul-zeidman/

Paul got management out of hosting his script on the Blacklist, WITHOUT a paid read! So the unicorn does indeed exist, keep looking ladies and gentlemen.

Guess that means it is time for me to post my most recent script, "Found on Fuji." I hope it will also be found.
                        www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
                        http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
                          Two quick thoughts:

1. If you believe that your reader was asleep at the wheel, for at least the twelfth time on a Done Deal forum, PLEASE email us. I can guarantee you that I'll be more disappointed with a poor quality review than you are, and something will be done about it.
                          That's not always the case.
                          PuppyTummy.com

Comment

Originally posted by iknownuffin View Post
                            That's not always the case.
                            If you believe we decided on your situation in error, I'd encourage you to email us again and reference this conversation.

Making this claim here without any supporting evidence is a bit dubious, however. Wouldn't you agree?

Comment

If you believe we decided on your situation in error, I'd encourage you to email us again and reference this conversation.

Making this claim here without any supporting evidence is a bit dubious, however. Wouldn't you agree?
                              He said "dubious"...I love that word.

"Your bargaining posture is highly dubious..."-- Unicron from the one true Transformers movie (animated)

Have yet to work "dubious" into dialogue I've written, but I will.

Comment

I made the claim via email to both you and Terry. Both of you responded and said you felt the reader's coverage was correct BUT both of you admitted to not having read the script.

And it isn't sour grapes. I previously submitted a different script and your reader gave me a "6" and pointed out why. I agreed. No problem.

However, this time out, the reader had some questions/problems with the story which indicated to me he/she did not fully read the script. For instance, the reader commented that the environments have "incredibly changed" and didn't understand why.

I guess the reader missed the worldwide nuclear holocaust that had taken place. Perhaps I'm wrong in my assumption but I'm thinking that kind of impact would tend to change the environment.

Now while I like the idea behind the Blacklist, it doesn't mean I have to agree with all things Blacklist. Adding my input to a forum does not make me or my claim dubious. And I very much resent you saying so.
                                Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 07-23-2013, 01:18 PM. Reason: Fixed font.
                                PuppyTummy.com

Comment

Working...
                                X