X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Originally posted by Exponent5 View Post
    Question for Franklin:

I just posted my first script on the site around Jan. 1st. At that time, I noticed a screen that had the "most recently uploaded" scripts, and mine was in the list. It looked like the "Top List" page in format, with a logo and some of the logline. But, for some reason, I have never seen that page again. I was just beginning to learn how to navigate the site, and I have not been able to find my way back to the "most recent uploads."

Does this list not exist? Is it something that is only generated for a moment after you register your script?

If this is the case, would it be possible to create a "most recent uploads" page that scrolls backwards chronologically to a certain point? I think it would be kind of cool to be able to see what is trending in that sense.
    It should be on your Insights page just to the right of the featured script. If you're not seeing it, definitely email us.

There's a list exactly as you describe it visible to me every time I sign in.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverlynx35 View Post
      Odd, I put mine up on 12/31 and it hasn't even been reader downloaded yet. Wonder if that's due to genre availability?
      The genre of the script and the number of scripts submitted in that genre definitely affect the turnaround time on reads. Same rules still apply though. If it's longer than 3 weeks, you get a free month of hosting.

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
        It should be on your Insights page just to the right of the featured script. If you're not seeing it, definitely email us.

There's a list exactly as you describe it visible to me every time I sign in.
        Ok, at the risk of sounding like a moron, where is the Insights page and the featured script? When I log in on the website, it takes me to a page with the stats on my own script.

At the top of the page I have headers: "TBL Logo", "Home" , "Top Lists", "Education", "Settings", "Help", "Logout", "Search."

The BL Logo, and Home and Top Lists do not take me to the page you describe. Help!

ETA: I sent an email to the general@ address.
        "Running down a dream, that never would come to me." Tom Petty

Comment

Aha! I found it!

It isn't called "Insights" it is called "Industry View" and the sub-header is called "top film scripts" which then takes me to the page I saw with the recent uploads, featured script, and all the other various lists.

Sheesh - I am a noob!

Also, I looked at the recent uploads (100 of them) and mine isn't even there any more! In only ten days! That is a LOT of scripts being uploaded to the site.
          "Running down a dream, that never would come to me." Tom Petty

Comment

Originally posted by CColoredClown View Post
            Hi Franklin,

What is the current site average for uploaded scripts?
            Average for all paid reads is 5.06.

For more data through October 2013 (which is quite representative going forward), check out our Annual Report.

Comment

Hi Franklin -- couple of quick ones:

1. Any plans to release an iOS app for the service sometime down the track? I was stuck browsing the site with my phone over the holidays and found navigating the links/scripts a little tough with my thick thumbs.

2. This is pure curiosity, but would it be possible to see some screenshots/vodcast of how the site looks from a industry member/reader persective?

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodi View Post
                Hi Franklin -- couple of quick ones:

1. Any plans to release an iOS app for the service sometime down the track? I was stuck browsing the site with my phone over the holidays and found navigating the links/scripts a little tough with my thick thumbs.

2. This is pure curiosity, but would it be possible to see some screenshots/vodcast of how the site looks from a industry member/reader persective?
                1. Eventually, obviously we'd love to put together a mobile app, but since the vast majority of our customers primary contact with the site is desktop (and we're a relatively small site in truth), it isn't at the top of our priority list quite yet.

2. The Insights page is virtually identical to the industry pro user experience. The only real difference is the ability to download everything.

Comment

Hey Franklin, I asked this a couple pages ago, but you may have missed it:

1) Are there any plans to add a "TV specs" category? I know that the industry is back in its original pilot phase right now, but some people still want to see that you can write for someone else's voice, in addition to creating your own.

2) Is there an easy way for industry to search the site for writers that have both feature and TV scripts? Will there be numbers on this? Obviously, the quality of a script is the most important factor, but I'd imagine those agencies that represent both film and television would be interested in writers that write for both.

Thanks!
                  http://twitter.com/gregbrainos
                  http://www.facebook.com/greg.brainos

Comment

Thank you for the response, Franklin.

I also second a mobile friendly version of the site.

Comment

Trying to decide if I should get another review for a script.

Got a 7 overall
                      premise 7
                      characters 7
                      dialogue 8
                      Setting 8
                      plot 7

**For those with this quandary -- were a few 8's in individual categories in an email blast enough to get you anymore downloads/views?

Mine's an adaptation, though, if no one checks out many individual scores (rather than the overall score) that's not going to make much difference.

https://www.blcklst.com/members/scripts/view/13837

Thoughts?

(I don't really agree with the character/arc criticisms, and the rabbit cannot speak and therefore, in this retelling, you don't have to "know him" -- and so another reader might feel differently. But if not, then I've just sunk my score further. Arggg!!! )

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
                        Trying to decide if I should get another review for a script.

Got a 7 overall
                        premise 7
                        characters 7
                        dialogue 8
                        Setting 8
                        plot 7

**For those with this quandary -- were a few 8's in individual categories in an email blast enough to get you anymore downloads/views?

Mine's an adaptation, though, if no one checks out many individual scores (rather than the overall score) that's not going to make much difference.

https://www.blcklst.com/members/scripts/view/13837

Thoughts?

(I don't really agree with the character/arc criticisms, and the rabbit cannot speak and therefore, in this retelling, you don't have to "know him" -- and so another reader might feel differently. But if not, then I've just sunk my score further. Arggg!!! )

If you feel the reader made actual mistakes, tell BL customer service.
                        "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post

I don't see how an 8 for setting is a positive but can see why 8 for dialogue or characters will be intriguing as they indicate you can write as opposed to choosing good locations.
                          M.A.G.A.

Comment

I don't see how an 8 for setting is a positive but can see why 8 for dialogue or characters will be intriguing as they indicate you can write as opposed to choosing good locations.
                            I really do not know how the Black List does things, but maybe setting as a category has to do with:
                            • How believable the writer makes the setting appear.
                            • How appropriately it is described (some detail, but not too much).
                            • How consistent the setting remains (absence of anachronisms and illogical elements).
                            Just some thoughts.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

I've wondered about setting myself. IIRC, it's not one of the original 5 areas of score.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                                I really do not know how the Black List does things, but maybe setting as a category has to do with:
                                • How believable the writer makes the setting appear.
                                • How appropriately it is described (some detail, but not too much).
                                • How consistent the setting remains (absence of anachronisms and illogical elements).
                                Just some thoughts.

My script is set in the 1940's NYC, so nailing the setting is probably a good thing.

Anyone willing to share if you personally got 8's in some elements but not in the overall score, if you still got downloads from the email blast? It'd help me to decide if I need another reader review or not. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
                                X