X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Originally posted by Rhodi View Post
    Of course, excuse my ignorance, I'm not in the United States.
    No worries.

Comment

Originally posted by RobWriter View Post
      Because of the subjectivity involved and the fact that a completely different readers are putting eyes on your script - I would find any range acceptable.

About the only thing that would surprise me is if you got a 1 or a 2 after getting a consider by one of the Big 3. But, at the end of the day, it wouldn't be that head scratching to me.

I just don't think its good practice for anyone to "expect" a certain rating from the BL based on past experience with anything.
      I agree with this perspective for the most part. I'd go further and say that a 3 or 4 is probably unlikely too.

That said, some material simply is quite polarizing. It's possible that a reader at a big 3 agency may have loved it while another reader (at the Black List or anywhere else) may hate it. The reverse can be true as well.

It's also worth noting that a "consider", while better than "pass", is still not a "recommend" or "we'd like to sign you."

Comment

Can I just point out... the script that got a 4 and a 5 on BL, is in the Lugnut List?

Just sayin'.
        Always choose cognac over cocaine -- Jon Lord

Comment

Originally posted by Australis View Post
          Can I just point out... the script that got a 4 and a 5 on BL, is in the Lugnut List?

Just sayin'.

Why? Different people will have different opinions. If that's your script, then query using the Lugnut nod.

Scripts that have won Nicholl have tapped out in other contests. There are several nominations for Best Screenplay every year and they all get votes. And some voters HAAAATE the one that won.

Edited to add: Sorry if I'm harshing on you a bit. Insomnia. What I really should add is congratulations on the commendation.
          Last edited by carcar; 01-23-2014, 11:55 AM. Reason: Reformed crankiness

Comment

Originally posted by carcar View Post
            Why? Different people will have different opinions. If that's your script, then query using the Lugnut nod.

Scripts that have won Nicholl have tapped out in other contests. There are several nominations for Best Screenplay every year and they all get votes. And some voters HAAAATE the one that won. This kind of thing is useless.
            I made the same point (before deleting it). Everyone on this board knows how hard it is to find people who value your writing - and we've had perpetual discussion about varying scores on the Black List being down to differing opinions - yet people still bring stuff like this up.
            Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 01-23-2014, 08:53 AM.
            M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
              I made the same point (before deleting it). Everyone on this board knows how hard it is to find people who value your writing - and we've had perpetual discussion about varying scores on the Black List being down to differing opinions - yet people still bring stuff like this up.
              What it does do his highlight the Russian Roulette nature of Black List evaluations. And any coverage or evaluation service for that matter. You're not being evaluated by the "Black List" -- you're being evaluated by an individual reader who is randomly assigned your script by chance. Luck of the draw equals maybe a low score from one or a high score for another. But that's all it is -- one person's reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred Parker View Post
                What it does do his highlight the Russian Roulette nature of Black List evaluations. And any coverage or evaluation service for that matter. You're not being evaluated by the "Black List" -- you're being evaluated by an individual reader who is randomly assigned your script by chance. Luck of the draw equals maybe a low score from one or a high score for another. But that's all it is -- one person's reaction.
                Exactly. Just like when you enter into a competition or send in a query letter. The point is we know this already so why bother highlighting it? A script that gets a pass from CAA gets a "let's talk" from WME yet people accept that and move on. it's completely pointless to: "hey, this guy over here said X but he has to be wrong because this other dude over here said Y".

If it's hard for people to accept that the judging of creative work is totally subjective then they're going to go round the bend in these circles.
                M.A.G.A.

Comment

Except... When you look at Franklin's numbers, the paid reads certainly aren't randomly distributed.

Comment

I've been obsessively checking my script on BL, awaiting that first read to come in. Its only been two days which is normal I understand, but not what I'm wondering about.
                    That graph detailing the views hasn't changed since monday. I don't mean that that nobody has viewed it since then (I mean they haven't but that doesn't confuse me), but the graph hasn't changed to reflect the three days of no activity. Does it really not update between views, showing days of non activity, or is it just something simple like the office is on hiatus till after Sundance or something?
                    Not a major issue, to be sure. But I was wondering.
                    Watch the award winning feature film Whatever Makes You Happy www.WMYH-film.com

Comment

Originally posted by ATSayre View Post
                      I've been obsessively checking my script on BL, awaiting that first read to come in. Its only been two days which is normal I understand, but not what I'm wondering about.
                      That graph detailing the views hasn't changed since monday. I don't mean that that nobody has viewed it since then (I mean they haven't but that doesn't confuse me), but the graph hasn't changed to reflect the three days of no activity. Does it really not update between views, showing days of non activity, or is it just something simple like the office is on hiatus till after Sundance or something?
                      If you mouse over the graph line, it will give you some daily details. Not sure about how it changes though.
                      SL35
                      Potent dreamer. Newb disclaimer.

Comment

Originally posted by ATSayre View Post
                        The graph doesn't chart non-activity. So if someone views your script page on Jan. 1 and Jan. 20, you have two data points.
                        Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Okay. I thought so. Kind of an odd way for a graph to work.
                          Watch the award winning feature film Whatever Makes You Happy www.WMYH-film.com

Comment

For those who have submitted complaints to support, how many days does it typically take for the ticket to be addressed?
                            FADE IN:
                            PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
                            NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

Originally posted by Jai Brandon View Post
                              For those who have submitted complaints to support, how many days does it typically take for the ticket to be addressed?
                              I had a response within a few hours. The second review was done about 4-5 days later I believe.
                              SL35
                              Potent dreamer. Newb disclaimer.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverlynx35 View Post
                                I had a response within a few hours. The second review was done about 4-5 days later I believe.
                                I received a response within a day and the review in the same 4-5 day turn around-- very professional.
                                FA4
                                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
                                X