X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Originally posted by harbak View Post
    In answer to Manchester and Sallain, I have a vast amount of contact/email info from 10 years of querying (don't ask how much time I have spent building a stout data base). Typically when I send out a logline I get at lest 20 - 30 requests for material. In this case, I wrote the script specifically for the Black List NFL Call for Scripts which required the script to be hosted in July. So I thought a decent review would help in being considered for that "competition".

However, after I finished it and posted it on BL I re-read the submission terms and realized I could still market it on my own while I waited, and that the NFL thing wasn't looking for scripts to acquire, just writing samples to pick a writer to team up with. Therefore, I went ahead and queried it out to about half my contacts...
    Cool. And thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by harbak View Post
      In this case, I wrote the script specifically for the Black List NFL Call for Scripts which required the script to be hosted in July....
      I went ahead and queried it out to about half my contacts and within a week of sending it to folks the offers started coming in. ..Crossing my fingers, but worse case I will have some cash and an option with a producer with some chops.
      So in some way the Black List was helpful in your journey, even though you may end up placing the script through your own contacts. It sounds like their NFL opportunity inspired you to write the script in the first place.

At any rate, all the best with it!

Comment

Hi Franklin,

I was listening to your Scripts & Scribes podcast and was particularly impressed with the listing agreements you have with the WGA and WGGB. How would the Writers Guild of Ireland go about entering into a similar arrangement?

Thanks in advance...

Comment

Originally posted by MainShane View Post
          Hi Franklin,

I was listening to your Scripts & Scribes podcast and was particularly impressed with the listing agreements you have with the WGA and WGGB. How would the Writers Guild of Ireland go about entering into a similar arrangement?

Thanks in advance...
          And we'll announce the Writers Guild of Canada today!

Would love to have a similar relationship with the Writers Guild of Ireland. Have them reach out to me via any of the email addresses listed on our About page.

Comment

Can you tell 'which' pro downloaded the script when you get pro downloads? I know with InkTip you can tell who looked/downloaded stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by pale yellow View Post
              Can you tell 'which' pro downloaded the script when you get pro downloads? I know with InkTip you can tell who looked/downloaded stuff.
              No, you can't.

Comment

Originally posted by pale yellow View Post
                You cannot, though we do maintain records of every view, every download, etc. etc.

Comment

Franklin, I had two different reviews of a particular script. I'm not concerned about the scores, I'm concerned about the weaknesses as reported by the two different readers.

There was almost nothing in common as to what they viewed as weaknesses, and if there's nothing in common, how does one take this as feedback? This makes it appear subjective as far as the reader goes. Basically it seemed that certain issues with addiction, sex, and sexual orientation that did not bother the first reader greatly bothered the second reader. So it really felt excessively biased.

It was a script revision I did. Perhaps going forward Black List should have the same reader comment on a script revision? At least for consistency's sake?
                  Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/NyFilmmaker32/videos

Comment

I think you should sue.

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Weems View Post
                      I think you should sue.
                      Took me a moment, then I laughed out loud. You sir, are brilliant.

Comment

It just seemed the gap between how the readers saw the script was extreme. I know people have different tastes, but it felt like personal issues with the second reader may have colored his comments and assessments.
                        Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/NyFilmmaker32/videos

Comment

Beginning with evaluations delivered today, any script that receives an 8 overall will be offered two free evaluations. Scripts receiving 9 or 10 overall are already offered multiple free evaluations.

Enjoy!

Comment

Dang, that seems like a pretty significant deal. Not only the price of two reviews - I'd guess there are many more eights than nines or tens.

Comment

Originally posted by mrdennissir View Post
                              Dang, that seems like a pretty significant deal. Not only the price of two reviews - I'd guess there are many more eights than nines or tens.
                              There are. Between 3-4% of evaluations are 8 overall.

Comment

I do not have a question for Franklin, but I just wanted to let anyone know about current review times.

I uploaded a comedy film script 8/26 and it was downloaded by a reviewer the next day and I just got it an hour ago, so obviously, surprisingly fast.

I felt like the review was spot on and gave the reader a 5/5 rating. There is always a risk with comedy that someone will not 'get' it (I would have loved to have seen tags for 'absurd' and 'scatological', but I am very happy with the result).

Comment

Working...
                                X