• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coffeywriter
    replied
    Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
    Nicholls raised theirs, yes, but it's still too low. A couple of decent options and assignments/rewrites would put you out of this.
    In my opionion, if you have had this type of success, you are not undiscovered and should use your existing contacts to further your career. There are some of us that truly have none of this type of exposure. The 'woe is me' entitlement of some folks just kills me!

Leave a comment:

• nativeson
    replied

If my script hasn't been sent for an evaluation yet, but there's one 'reader download,' then what's a reader download?

Leave a comment:

• IGetsBuckets
    replied

Hey Franklin,

I had quick question for you about the Friday emails. In a previous thread about the BlackList, you made the following post:

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
    The Friday email includes scripts that received high scores (8+) in the genres and on the component scores that the industry professional member has expressed an interest in.
    Let's say there's a script that received high scores (8+). If the genres listed for that script were Drama, Romance, and Dramatic-Comedy, would this script be included in emails to industry professionals who expressed an interest in Comedy as well?

Thanks,
    IGB

Leave a comment:

• AE35-Unit
    replied

Paid.

Leave a comment:

• LIMAMA
    replied

Originally posted by AE35-Unit View Post
    On the second review I pulled an 8.
    Paid review or a review to make up for the first review?

Leave a comment:

• AE35-Unit
    replied

On the second review I pulled an 8.

Leave a comment:

• LIMAMA
    replied

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
    Where is this facebook commentary? I couldn't find it.
    It's on FB screenwriting groups.

Leave a comment:

• LauriD
    replied

Originally posted by JoJo View Post
    Or a young white guy hires an old/person of color/woman to pretend to be the writer of his scripts.
    And then pitches the movie about it to Warner.

I'm thinking Cecily Tyson for the female lead.

Leave a comment:

• Geoff Alexander
    replied

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
    Actually, I agree with you 100%. Besides, we're talking about blind deals for only four (4!) writers over a two-year period. Two per year equals Four! Did I mention it was four?

That's not exactly opening the floodgates. Instead of nit-picking, let's hope it's so wildly successful all the other studios get with the program.
    The inevitable kerfluffle about the details of this program will be ridiculous. It already is. It's a symbolic gesture by WB, a few people may benefit, no one will get hurt. Pointless to take issue with.

Leave a comment:

• sc111
    replied

Where is this facebook commentary? I couldn't find it.

Leave a comment:

• canela
    replied

Or fudge the $25K. That has been mentioned on FB.
    People obsessing over ways to game this? Wow. Some people would rather fight over scraps falling off the table than learn how to cook.

Liars tend to reveal themselves. They're usually not as smart as they think they are -- broadcasting their schemes on FB. Hm. Yeah, nobody will be scrutinizing this program or anything. Certainly not the jealous contemporaries of the would-be fraud.

Believing everyone else is stupid is typically part of the problem with this type of character.

Leave a comment:

• JoJo
    replied

Or a young white guy hires an old/person of color/woman to pretend to be the writer of his scripts.

Leave a comment:

• LIMAMA
    replied

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
    There isn't.

If you think you qualify as diverse (based on enthnicity/gender/age) you apply for the program. Presumably you make the case for your diversity in your personal statement if you're short-listed.

I guess there's the risk that someone would CLAIM diversity and then show up for the first meeting at Warner as a 28-year-old white guy. Maybe he could claim he was a woman when he applied?

Leave a comment:

• LauriD
    replied

Originally posted by GI_Jeep View Post
    I haven't posted anything on the blacklist yet. Is there some function that identifies race and gender? What constitutes diversity?

I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere.
    There isn't.

If you think you qualify as diverse (based on enthnicity/gender/age) you apply for the program. Presumably you make the case for your diversity in your personal statement if you're short-listed.

I guess there's the risk that someone would CLAIM diversity and then show up for the first meeting at Warner as a 28-year-old white guy. Maybe he could claim he was a woman when he applied?

Leave a comment:

• LauriD
    replied

Hey, as has been pointed out on other pages on Facebook, this is a business endeavor, Franklin is going to make money off this and it's great publicity.
    I'm wondering how many people will sign up for the BL based on this who didn't sign up before? Is a shot at one of 4 slots with a studio qualitatively different from the exposure to something like 1500 industry people?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X