Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Reader replacement

Among the many online rss readers that are available, the 3 best I've tried are:

The Old Reader: www.theoldreader.com
    CommaFeed: www.commafeed.com
    InoReader: www.inoreader.com

There's also Feedly (cloud.feedly.com), which is a bit different from a traditional rss reader, offering a dynamic magazine kind of interface.

I prefer a traditional feed reader, so I don't care for Feedly, although it's very popular.

All other three are very good options. The interfaces are very similar, Inoreader being the one I prefer.

The Old Reader and CommaFeed seem to be the ones catching feed updates faster than InoReader or Feedly.

CommaFeed, though, doesn't display one of my feeds properly, showing html tags instead of the text properly formated.

The Old Reader seems to be the one that's been around the longest, and it's attracting a lot of new users, so I'd say it's the one that's most likely to stay around. The only "problem", if you will, is that because of all the new users migrating to The Old Reader, importing your feeds (opml file) can take several hours. After that, everything else works normally.

My choice: The Old Reader. Feed updates are fast and everything is displayed properly. They have their own API now, so probably it's a matter of time before there's a desktop feed reader that can use The Old Reader to sync (which would be my ideal choice.)

Re: Google Reader replacement

I prefer paid services to free, because companies need to make money to stick around and providing an RSS feed service is quite expensive (doing it for free is simply not sustainable).

The two paid services I've tried are Newsblur and Feedbin.

A lot of people seem to like Newsblur, but just using their demo (which should be highly optimized and completely cached) brought my browser to a standstill, as in I had to force quit. It did this multiple times over a period of a couple days, so it wasn't just a one-time problem, it was an every time problem. So, no thanks to Newsblur.

Feedbin is what I've settled on for now. It's by no means as fast or as functional as Google Reader, but it's not terrible. It's a one-man operation, so far, but the guy has a lot of smart people helping him. I like the transparency -- he's not hiding anything, he's documenting the exact servers and software he's using, he's open to suggestions, etc. So, for now, this is what I'm using. https://feedbin.me/

Comment

I think Newsblur can be also used for free, with a limit of 60 feed subscriptions. But I've heard it's quite slow with updates.

Comment

I got nervous waiting for the Digg reader to come out and ended up on Feedly at some point in early June. It works just fine for the way I use it. But come to find out AOL made a reader as well and it's not half bad. Huh.
        "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
        Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

It seems there have been some improvements to InoReader, as it now catches feed updates really fast, I'd say much faster than The Old Reader.

To me, that makes it the best free Google Reader replacement.

Comment

After trying several I went with feedly. Newsblur was nice, flipboard i liked but the constant flipping got annoying. Feedly has a clean interface, that quickly lets me scan my feeds, it worked best for me.
            826dk

ARTicles: Kick Your Creative A** Into Gear

DK - Script Revolution

Comment

How good is Feedly with updates? Does it catch them early or several hours later?

Comment

Sorry, Dr, I do not know. I check my feedly a few times a week. I did a quick internet search and could not find the answer. Hopefully someone else will be able to chime in.
                826dk

ARTicles: Kick Your Creative A** Into Gear

DK - Script Revolution

Comment

Oh, don't worry. I was just curious. I use it daily, and when I was deciding which one to use I runned The Old Reader, CommaFeed and InoReader side by side, and InoReader used to get updates much later than the other two, and I'd read somewhere that was also an issue with Feedly. Maybe they have improved it like InoReader has.

Comment

I ultimately decided to go with a regular desktop application:

http://www.rssowl.org/

Been using it for a couple weeks now and can't say enough good things about it. It's extremely fast, incredibly configurable/customizable, etc.
                    Only thing it lacks at the moment is synchronization between different machines, but I can live with that.

Comment

Yes, that was my usual setup too. FeedDemon in Windows, Liferea now in Linux, using a Google Reader account to sync between computers. Until I can sync desktop feed readers again, I'll have to do with a web application.

Comment

Working...
                      X