X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Draft prob

Hey peeps.

Had a wee problem in the week.

I was 20 pages into a script and my stupid PC decided to crash and die.

I managed to print out those 20 pages before the above occurred, but was unable to save it to a disc, only the hard drive. Nice. Not.

I've continued the script on my Mac laptop from page 21, in Final Draft, but it's obviously thinking it's the beginning of a new script. So my question is this:

How can I alter the pages in Final Draft? Is there a way, or will I have to re-type those 20 previous pages on THIS comp instead and start over?

Appreciate replies. Thanks. Treb

Are those first 20 pages so perfect they're not going to need rewriting?

Just type 'em into the new document. How long is it going to take?

Comment

Trebster, the chances that you'll never have to rewrite those 20 pages are slim to none. Suck it up and type it back in and save it this time.

Comment

Argh!

Damn correct procedures and logical thinking!

Comment

scan

You can scan the pages, convert to text .TXT and then copy and paste them in front of the other work.

A scanner is a very handy thing to have around. I scan all my bills or pertinent mail as it comes in, and toss it all in the shredder. With my new DVD burner, I'll be able to keep an entire year or more on one disc.

Comment

Cheers. All done now

Done.

Brilliant, cheers mate.

Could have rewritten the 20 pages in the time it took me to do all that, but hey - I wanted seek alternatives.

Treb

Comment

Re: Cheers. All done now

What kind of comp was it? How old?

Comment

In case you ever need it:

Document
                Header and Footer
                Options

You need to do two things:

Click "Header on first page"
                First page: (your starting number)

Comment

There was nothing in the manual or help - even the web site.

Anyway, thanks guys.

The comp was 4 years old. He died a sudden and painful death. I'm an emotional wreck of a Brit, but my Powerbook is here to comfort me now.

Treb

Comment

Hard drives never die, they become lost and forgotten.

As long as the platters, inside the HD, are intact your data can be recovered for a not so nominal fee.
                    Just FYI if you have other information needs retrieving from the doomed computer. 8)

Comment

Seriously?

So all that hitting and spitting wouldn't have added to the comp's start up failure. Brilliant.

And who repairs these kinds of faults? Normal computer stores or the FBI?

Thanks mate.

Comment

If you have Windows NT, 2000, XP or have Winfax, you can just fax yourself the 20 pages to your computer then use the built in OCR of Winfax to convert it into a RTF document. It's a cheap solution unless you have a scanner and buy an OCR program. You can always fax it to someone with Winfax or Win NT platform and have them covert the document so you can just copy and paste it into your new FD file.

Comment

oh well...

you just wasted an opportunity to improve your script by rewriting it

Comment

Re: oh well...

Nikee,

This is the rewrite. I'm the one doing it on somebody else's script.

We could be forever rewriting our own work at times, but I'm confident that I'm good enough to be hired to improve some other guy's work.

On another note, does anybody email their scripts to themselves - as another way of backing them up on file, in case.. I dunno, their HD packs in one day?

Comment

Re: oh well...

I email intermediate versions (I guess there are never any real, final versions of a script until after it's been produced) of my scripts to myself all the time. I send them to my office and leave them on the server there. They do a back up every night.

Comment

Working...
                              X