Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• margin size, doc. size in script posting, help--

Spending...well, far too much time trying to solve posting problems completely beyond my ken.

Does anyone know why a Scriptware to ASCII text file will explode the margins in the "box" all the way to Hawaii?

First post looked fine, fit screen.

Second post does not fit screen. Much too "wide". If people post responses, they may well end up with a single line a yard long.

Why is that?

And again, thanks for the assistance.

To make a very long, involved answer very short ...

There are usually two problems when people post their pages:

1. The reason for the long lines is that there is no line break; instead, the lines are just "wrapping" at the edge of the screen in your screenwriting program. Some programs will save a text file with true line breaks; others do not. The problem is almost always in the action lines, not the dialogue lines. The text that you "cut and paste" must have "hard returns" (line breaks) where you want the line to break on screen. These are breaks that you put in with the ENTER key or that the screenwriting program puts in automatically when it saves the script as a text file. Sometimes a program will let you save a file as "text with layout," and these are usually all right. Sometimes only the line breaks are preserved, and you lose the indentation of the dialogue lines.

2. Some programs (like Final Draft 5; I do not know about 6) always preserve a left margin of about a half inch, no matter what you do to reduce the left margin as much as possible. Then, when you save as an HTML file and then save that file as a text file, you are stuck with the half-inch left margin. Most people do not eliminate the original large screenwriting margin in the process of doing this conversion, and the resulting text file has a huge margin at the left. This makes the line stretch off screen, even if the line breaks are in the proper place.

Comment

Are you talking about posting pages here, lit?

Comment

comicbent, thank you again. I see the obvious solution from the info in your post. Do you have pages up? Very lucid instructions.

Exthollywoodday, yes I am posting here, with some difficulty. Thanks for looking, cbent may have suggested the solution.

Comment

Working...
        X