This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Black List - grow up or go home

Hahaha. I see that my name has come up a few posts back.

Three thoughts:

1) People who constantly get called out by others for their abrasive tone, and are frequently forced to clarify that they mean no insult, well...they just might....have serious unrecognized disabilities when it comes to their communication.

2) People who have been repped less than a year, and have only been proven through one screenplay, and speak as if they are the Screenwriting Voice of God -- telling others whether they should quit or not, proclaiming to be the arbiter of "tough love", well....they're just a bit...seriously lacking in credibility.

3) People who put others on their ignore list because they can't handle some criticism they receive for acting trollish...and then turn around and criticize those same individuals (and many others) from the safety of their ignore cave, well....they're just a bit....cowardly.

But, that's just me

Bonus: Guys who use pictures of pretty, smiling girls as their profile pic so as to make their often hostile posts seem less inflammatory are kind of the definition of lame.
    Last edited by UpandComing; 01-28-2014, 06:58 AM.
    "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by HarryDee View Post
      was on Top Lists somewhere for about four months, 12 downloads no responses. Took my project down once it left the list. I've queried via VPF saying I'm ranked at BL(never specifying the number cause what does it really mean anyway?) and I've gotten about 10 requests, managers and producers combined. I also mentioned that I got a Reccomend at Script Pipeline, so I can't say what it's worth really. Had a friend pass it on to a few producers, one at MGM, and he said they were loving what they had read so far but no news yet on that. Nothing back from my VPF requests as of yet.
      Good points all round but I wanted to reply to this. I'd say your lack of interest - a blind observation, obviously - is partly down to not pushing enough and your script being indie/festival fare.

By pushing enough I mean not specifying your score. "ranked at BL" is pretty weak, don't you agree? Mine was "top-ranked BL script!" and "ranked in the top 5%" which jumps out a little bit more. My response rate shot through the roof.

On the BL itself I got 49 unique DL and I assume this is because it was more accessible (but being a noir still some way off being studio tentpole).

The notion that the BL readers are this great arbitrator and you should make a decision on your worth as a writer from these people is also pretty crazy.
      I said the same in my OP
      M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
        Hahaha. I see that my name has come up a few posts back.

Three thoughts:

1) People who constantly get called out by others for their abrasive tone, and are frequently forced to clarify that they mean no insult, well...they just might....have serious unrecognized disabilities when it comes to their communication.

2) People who have been repped less than a year, and have only been proven through one screenplay, and speak as if they are the Screenwriting Voice of God -- telling others whether they should quit or not, proclaiming to be the arbiter of "tough love", well....they're just a bit...seriously lacking in credibility.

3) People who put others on their ignore list because they can't handle some criticism they receive for acting trollish...and then turn around and criticize those same individuals (and many others) from the safety of their ignore cave, well....they're just a bit....cowardly.

But, that's just me
        Good points, but I'm glad those "people" are here because it's freaking hilarious.
        On Twitter @DeadManSkipping

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Earth View Post
          Good points, but I'm glad those "people" are here because it's freaking hilarious.
          Lol. Indeed
          "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Unless someone has something new to say, I think we're getting to the point where it's time to lock this thread and move on.
            Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
              Good points all round but I wanted to reply to this. I'd say your lack of interest - a blind observation, obviously - is partly down to not pushing enough and your script being indie/festival fare.

By pushing enough I mean not specifying your score. "ranked at BL" is pretty weak, don't you agree? Mine was "top-ranked BL script!" and "ranked in the top 5%" which jumps out a little bit more. My response rate shot through the roof.

On the BL itself I got 49 unique DL and I assume this is because it was more accessible (but being a noir still some way off being studio tentpole).

I said the same in my OP
              Hey I completely feel you and I agree that your framing is way better and could have helped me. And again its indie fare, I've had people pass but leave me messages that they loved the logline, or to try them later or whatever...other people say they didn't think the logline worked or the synopsis wasn't clear lol it is what it is, you know? I have zero appetite for studio fare, big budget or what passes for "indie" so I'm not surprised. I had it as top ranked at black list for what thats worth.

And for the record I'm not a hater on your post and I don't think you're being emotional or confrontational or whatever. Writing is a grind..the more writers accept that fact over anything else the better off they'd be. Outliers man...gotta get your 10,000 hours in before you can start acting like you know what you're doing.

Comment

Hmm.

Changed my mind.
                Last edited by Australis; 01-28-2014, 02:06 AM. Reason: Mind changed
                Always choose cognac over cocaine -- Jon Lord

Comment

Originally posted by HarryDee View Post
                  And for the record I'm not a hater on your post and I don't think you're being emotional or confrontational or whatever. Writing is a grind..the more writers accept that fact over anything else the better off they'd be.
                  Thanks, dude. You've no idea what a relief it is to find someone who doesn't jump to bizarre and/or emotional conclusions. Now I can die happy.
                  M.A.G.A.

Comment

Now I have no problem with people taking a post the wrong way. It happens. We can't hear the tone of voice nor see the person's expression and a "!" for humorous emphasis can be misconstrued as aggression. What I do have a problem with - what I do despair at - is when I explain to the affronted that there was no hostility, point out there were no clear indicators (exclamations, abuse, emoticons, swearing) and yet they just stick to their inference, regardless.

Like Manchester did.
                    Funny. In a thread that's permeated with your insistence that people not infer that which you assert is not there, you somehow inferred that I'd read post, and that I'd then inferred something that was not there. Nope.

And for the easily-offended: this is straight to the point but it's not aggressive or hostile.
                    I laughed at that, then stopped reading. As I generally would. It's like, "No offense, but..." Or, "It's not you, it's me." Like those, but in parody form. And thus, my quip-reply about Kim Jong-un's fax to South Korea.

Also, funny - I agree with your initial bullet points. I do. In fact, I vaguely recall that in the/an initial BL thread, I made similar points.

But, I winced at how you intro'd them:

For the ADD-addled it boils down to:
                    I dunno, but often when I post something lengthy, or write a long memo... I start with, "The following in lengthy. Here are the bullet points." Which would actually be, to quote you, "Straight to the point." And I certainly do not start off with an insult to the reader's faculties.

And so, when you lead off with "For the ADD-addled", which is hostile, and then follow it with a bolded, red-lettered "Oh, but I'm not being hostile...", it's not especially inviting. Indeed, off-putting. Oh, yeh - and it's funny.

And your red-lettered bit really did make me laugh. And I woulda laughed at it no matter who'd posted it, and then woulda posted the very-same quip-reply.

Comment

Sundown, you do have an attitude that often rubs people the wrong way. You may not mean it, but it's there. Maybe that's something to consider. It seems to annoy many people, and it even has annoyed me at times. I'm not judging you or anything, btw. Cheers.

Comment

I think it's time to call it for this one.
                        Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Working...
                        X