Anyone had their script posted by Carson Reeves on Amateur Fridays?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone had their script posted by Carson Reeves on Amateur Fridays?

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
    Well, I'm more inclined now that jariax mentioned that he allows you to use an alias and change the title.

But you have to submit a statement and doesn't the community 'vote' on which script is selected?

We'll see. Working hard on it this weekend and will submit to a few good writer friends for feedback.

Are you gonna do it?

Yes, he tells you in the submission instructions you can use an alias if you fear negative repercussions, etc.

The readership does "vote" (in a very informal way in the comments section) on which script of the five each AOW that they would like to see him profile for Amateur Fridays. But, he does not simply go by the votes. He chooses. In fact, in today's AF profile there are several regular readers who are complaining that the script he profiled today was NOT last week's biggest AOW vote-getter.

I think that is just silly. It's his blog - he can profile whoever the hell he wants. So, I don't see why they are complaining, you know?

Yes, I already did it and he published my script in the May 24th AOW. I hope he profiles it for a future AF slot, but I did not get the highest number of votes, though I did get some.
    "Running down a dream, that never would come to me." Tom Petty

Comment

Originally posted by vinnytman View Post

Personally guys & gals, I wouldn't worry about Carson and SS. Focus on writing a damn good script. When I did and submitted it to a few people, it got all over Hollywood. Assistants at prod co's and agencies pass it to other assistants and if you write a good script, it will catch on like wild fire. 360 got around town in a few days -- producers, agents, and managers were calling me every day, sending me emails -- all without Carson.
      I think most of us believe that we have a good script. And we believe that if we get the right people to read it, it's going to take off, the problem that we struggle with, is getting the right people to read it.

You say you submitted it to a few people, but was that just cold-calling or had you already developed some relationships etc. For those that don't live in LA, who don't have those kind of relationships, something like ScriptShadow, or Blacklist is a great way to get your script talked about.

Comment

Originally posted by jariax View Post
        I think most of us believe that we have a good script. And we believe that if we get the right people to read it, it's going to take off, the problem that we struggle with, is getting the right people to read it.

You say you submitted it to a few people, but was that just cold-calling or had you already developed some relationships etc. For those that don't live in LA, who don't have those kind of relationships, something like ScriptShadow, or Blacklist is a great way to get your script talked about.
        I don't live in LA -- I live in Seattle with no connections to Hollywood. Someone once told me that if you write a great script, people in LA will find it. It just takes one assistant to be blown away by your script to pass it on to 100 of their Hollywood friends. And that's what happened to me.

The Blacklist that we see now wasn't around when I wrote 360. I used ScriptShark for my coverage at the time. I happened to get the Screenplay Mechanic doing my coverage there And he liked it and they scouted it.

But I also used Virtual Pitchfest (virtualpitchfest.com). I highly recommend this service. They're not cheap, but if you write a good logline and short synopsis, then you decide which agents, managers or producers to submit to and they can request to read your script (or most likely they're assistants). This is how I've made a bunch of connections (Since I still live in Seattle).

VPF isn't cheap, and you really gotta hone your loglines and short synopsis before submitting -- that's key! David, who owns VPF will help you with your logline and short synopsis for FREE with a 10 package deal. And everything is through the site -- you're not pitching in-person. And my recommendation if using VPF: pitch to producers & production companies first. I know everyone's inclination is to pitch to agents & managers, but you want a producer or prod co involved with your script. The agents & managers will come like a tidal wave if a producer or prod co wants your script.

Full disclosure: I've used VPF, I'm not affiliated with them in any way and I don't get any sort of kickbacks

It also helped that the script for ALL YOU NEED IS KILL (aka EDGE OF TOMORROW) just sold for like $3 million a couple weeks prior to 360 hitting the market and INCEPTION was coming out.

I haven't used The Blacklist yet so I don't know how good is it or not, but I've heard good things.

VPF & Scriptshark are the ways I've gotten noticed. I would say VPF had more to do with getting me noticed then ScriptShark.

Best-
        Tim
        Last edited by vinnytman; 07-03-2014, 01:04 PM.
        - Tim
        http://timearnheart.com

Comment

Looks like my sitcom Not Safe For Work may be in the amateur offerings this weekend.
          Last edited by gridlock'd; 07-04-2014, 06:18 PM.
          "I need someone who laughs at all my jokes. You know; honest feedback."
          - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Originally posted by gridlock'd View Post
            Looks like my sitcom Not Safe For Work may be in the amateur offerings this weekend. Though I don't like my chances against Shrapnel!
            Congrats! I've read some of the pages on here, and I really hope you get picked.

Comment

Just wanted to give an update:

Carson did, in fact, profile my script ARIEL on Amateur Fridays (June 20th edition) after having it in the Amateur Offerings Weekend on May 24th.

I was genuinely shocked because I assumed it wasn't going to happen. He said it wasn't for him, but he did say a few nice things about it. I was happy about that, because I was just glad it didn't get eviscerated...LOL.

The problem was that the readership really didn't give it much of a chance at all. I was hoping to get some constructive remarks, but most of the people there didn't bother to read it. So, it wasn't helpful in terms of notes. Carson told me that they were a rough bunch who mostly liked horror or thriller scripts, and not my genre (fantasy/adventure).

However, I did get contacted by several people privately via email who gave me some really nice compliments and said they saw a lot of potential for the project.

I also noticed that both appearances on Scriptshadow drove some traffic to the script's listing on the Black List site.

Comment

Originally posted by happywash View Post
                I had my script on AF reviewed. The experience was fine. It did nothing to further or hurt my career.

Now, the comments section is where you're going to get a lot of different opinions (in terms of how people feel about your work). Some people will comment without reading your script, some will read a page and tear you to shreds, and some will read the script and give thoughtful analysis. The comments section is a mixed bag. I think the people who comment on the site would agree.

Don't expect to get an agent out of it or get a script sold, and don't take the comments from followers personally (they don't know you, and some haven't read the script), and you'll be alright.

Carson has been nice to me, even though he didn't like the script (Second Place Hero).
                Yes, this was my experience as well.

Comment

Originally posted by gridlock'd View Post
                  Looks like my sitcom Not Safe For Work may be in the amateur offerings this weekend.
                  Congratulations, that's awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by vinnytman View Post
                    I don't live in LA -- I live in Seattle with no connections to Hollywood. Someone once told me that if you write a great script, people in LA will find it. It just takes one assistant to be blown away by your script to pass it on to 100 of their Hollywood friends. And that's what happened to me.

The Blacklist that we see now wasn't around when I wrote 360. I used ScriptShark for my coverage at the time. I happened to get the Screenplay Mechanic doing my coverage there And he liked it and they scouted it.

But I also used Virtual Pitchfest (virtualpitchfest.com). I highly recommend this service. They're not cheap, but if you write a good logline and short synopsis, then you decide which agents, managers or producers to submit to and they can request to read your script (or most likely they're assistants). This is how I've made a bunch of connections (Since I still live in Seattle).

VPF isn't cheap, and you really gotta hone your loglines and short synopsis before submitting -- that's key! David, who owns VPF will help you with your logline and short synopsis for FREE with a 10 package deal. And everything is through the site -- you're not pitching in-person. And my recommendation if using VPF: pitch to producers & production companies first. I know everyone's inclination is to pitch to agents & managers, but you want a producer or prod co involved with your script. The agents & managers will come like a tidal wave if a producer or prod co wants your script.

Full disclosure: I've used VPF, I'm not affiliated with them in any way and I don't get any sort of kickbacks

It also helped that the script for ALL YOU NEED IS KILL (aka EDGE OF TOMORROW) just sold for like $3 million a couple weeks prior to 360 hitting the market and INCEPTION was coming out.

I haven't used The Blacklist yet so I don't know how good is it or not, but I've heard good things.

VPF & Scriptshark are the ways I've gotten noticed. I would say VPF had more to do with getting me noticed then ScriptShark.

Best-
                    Tim
                    Hi Tim,

I'm not in LA either. I spent ten years in LA, but am now on the East Coast.

Thanks for also sharing your experience with VPF. I also like VPF for its ability to do really targeted querying, even though it's a bit pricey.

I am also having a very good experience with Spec Scout, which I may start a thread about soon, just to see what other's experiences are with that. But, so far I'm very impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by happywash View Post
                      Congrats! I've read some of the pages on here, and I really hope you get picked.
                      Originally posted by Exponent5 View Post
                      Congratulations, that's awesome!

Thanks guys. The scripts just got post just now. Check em out if you get the chance.

http://scriptshadow.net/amateur-offe...d-53/#comments
                      - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Originally posted by Exponent5 View Post
                        Hi Tim,

I'm not in LA either. I spent ten years in LA, but am now on the East Coast.

Thanks for also sharing your experience with VPF. I also like VPF for its ability to do really targeted querying, even though it's a bit pricey.

I am also having a very good experience with Spec Scout, which I may start a thread about soon, just to see what other's experiences are with that. But, so far I'm very impressed.
                        I haven't used Spec Scout but that's awesome! I'm tired of hearing all these amateur writers complaining about how they can't get an agent or manager and have no means of getting their script noticed.

All they have to do is a little bit of work on the web for couple hours and they can find tons of places to submit their script to. Yeah it costs money for the Blacklist, VPF, or whatever, but finding the right place that works for you and gets your script set up someplace is more important than an agent or manager when starting out.

So again, congrats Exponent5 for finding a place that works for you. I wish all these sites were around 20 years ago when I started writing.

-Tim
                        - Tim
                        http://timearnheart.com

Comment

My script Alien Diaries was reviewed by Carson several years ago. I got a wasn't for me but he did like but story aspects needed to be fleshed out. I was contacted by a few Hollywood folks but nothing panned out.

His notes and feedback he gave on amateur Friday were terrific and the script has been drastically changed since then. The feedback I got from the user comments section were also pretty good.

People did agree that they did seem to like it but something was "missing"

All in all it was a good experience and I have no regrets. Made a few good email friends on the way that I still stay in touch with.

Comment

Originally posted by dawriter View Post
                            My script Alien Diaries was reviewed by Carson several years ago. I got a wasn't for me but he did like but story aspects needed to be fleshed out. I was contacted by a few Hollywood folks but nothing panned out.

His notes and feedback he gave on amateur Friday were terrific and the script has been drastically changed since then. The feedback I got from the user comments section were also pretty good.

People did agree that they did seem to like it but something was "missing"

All in all it was a good experience and I have no regrets. Made a few good email friends on the way that I still stay in touch with.
                            I remember that one. Awesome premise. I can see that selling.
                            Last edited by gridlock'd; 07-10-2014, 07:12 AM.
                            - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

It's still for sale.

I just submitted to Final Draft Big Break. I had planned to enter the Nichols and then Page but missed the deadlines because it wasn't "ready".

Hopefully now it's ready.

Comment

A review by Carson Reeves? I'm soaking in it!

http://scriptshadow.net/amateur-frid...nsfw/#comments
                                - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Working...
                                X