Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software/app question

is there a program that allows one to link scenes together as a sequence -- and then 'click on' a particular sequence (from a list of sequences ) that you'd like to work on/edit? So basically the ONLY pages in front of your face will be the pages linked to that sequence.

Any direction on this will be greatly appreciated.

Re: software/app question

Are you on Windows or Mac? And what screenwriting software do you have now?

Comment

windows 7 and fd 8

Comment

Well, I'm actually quite busy these days providing authoritative answers, by popular demand, to all the female-centric questions...
        Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
        I don't know why people keep starting these threads. Why don't they just have one called "Manchester explains women to everyone?"
        But, since Comic Bent and one other DDP'er who usually answered software questions are both now gone (from DDP), I'll give this a try.

The short answer, AFAIK, is "No."

The longer answer: Movie Magic lets you group scenes as Sequences. Then there's an Outline View, and you can collapse all of the scenes under their respective Sequences - i.e., the only scene headers you'll see in the Outline nav bar are the scenes within the sequence you're working on. But the actual scenes (i.e., the pages) are not hidden - just their headings/sluglines aren't listed presently in the nav bar.

MS Word offers a way to do what you want (but then Word doesn't do a great job with formatting a script). That is, you put each Sequence of scenes in its own document, and then there's a master doc that you can open and it will concatenate all the sequence docs.

I've long wished there was a way to do this within screenwriting software. Just as an example: Let's say I've finished a draft. Then I decide to rework Act II. And while I do that, I also make changes here and there in Acts I and III. And then... I decide to do back to my prior version of Act II. Sure, I can open an old FD doc, copy Act II, and paste that into my latest version of the script. But that sometimes gets messy, etc.

Now maybe someone else knows of software that CAN do this. But that's all that I know about it.

If you do find a solution from a non-DDP source, please do post back here.

Comment

Re: Software/app question

bummer

thanks anyway.

I'll repost if I learn of anything.

thanks again

Comment

Scrivener does exactly that. Both Windows and Mac. I don't really like it (too complex) but there's Little Scrivener can't do.

Comment

thanx! i'll check it out

Comment

that's exactly what I want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLasH88XqAc

Anyone else use Scrivener before?

Comment

Originally posted by goldmund View Post
                  Scrivener does exactly that. Both Windows and Mac. I don't really like it (too complex) but there's Little Scrivener can't do.
                  Great.

I looked at the Scrivener manual at its website - and yeh, it does look like it'll do what OP wants. Even integrates with FD8. I may dl the 30-day test version and give it a try.

I recall looking at Scrivener some years ago, but my recollection had been that is was more expensive than what's listed now, and it was more a Mac thing. Ah, memory...

Originally posted by bjamin View Post
                  You might want to start a new thread with that question.

___

Add: If you do go to buy it, check here first for a discount code - http://www.retailmenot.com/view/literatureandlatte.com
                  Last edited by Manchester; 08-05-2014, 12:58 PM.

Comment

that's exactly what I want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLasH88XqAc

Well it feels like driving a combine-harvester. Not so light and classy like Slugline or Highland or minimalist text editors, but as I said, I don't think there's much it cannot do.

Comment

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
                      But, since Comic Bent and one other DDP'er who usually answered software questions are both now gone (from DDP), I'll give this a try.
                      For those of us who haven't been around the forums for a bit, what happened?

Comment

Originally posted by Troy View Post
                        For those of us who haven't been around the forums for a bit, what happened?
                        After years and years of service here as a poster and a mod, CB/Comic Bent "retired" (?) from DDP
                        http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=76375

Another member who used to regularly post replies in this section of the forum... stopped posting a couple months ago... for reasons not quite know.

I've been posting regularly in this section for the past few years, and (I'd like to think) my answers are generally a bit closer to the mark/more complete than the first one I posted this time, in this thread. Fortunately Goldmund showed up with the right answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
                          You might want to start a new thread with that question.

___

Add: If you do go to buy it, check here first for a discount code - http://www.retailmenot.com/view/literatureandlatte.com

I'm apprehensive because it does have a ton of features that I've got little interest in. And because it can do so much, I'm sure it uses up a lot of memory, so... not sure it's worth the convenience it offers.

Comment

Originally posted by goldmund View Post
                            Well it feels like driving a combine-harvester. Not so light and classy like Slugline or Highland or minimalist text editors, but as I said, I don't think there's much it cannot do.
                            Makes me wonder how clunky/cumbersome it is.

Comment

I'm apprehensive because it does have a ton of features that I've got little interest in. And because it can do so much, I'm sure it uses up a lot of memory, so... not sure it's worth the convenience it offers.
                              So then, what's your goal, so to speak? What do you think is the upside to having only one sequence's scenes in front of you?

If it's just to clear your mind, to hide any distractions, you could insert some manual/hard page returns - temporarily - before and after the sequence you want to focus on. And then later, remove them.

You could even manually break your script into multiple FD documents. Then to print out the whole script, either copy & past the sections into one FD document. Or print each section-document into a pdf, then combine those pdfs - though presumably that would leave you with some "short" pages throughout (at the end of some sections).

One thing to keep in mind - assuming I understood what the Scrivener manual says: You can import an FD doc into Scrivener, then do editing/rearranging/etc. in Scrivener... and then export that back out to fdx format to work on in FD. Kinda like doing some craft project on the kitchen table (where it may be most convenient), then taking it out to a workbench in your garage for a few processes, and then bringing it back to the kitchen table.

BTW (again, if I read this correctly): The Scrivener free test version is good for 30 days of use. And so, apparently, if you use it just 2-days/week, that's 15 weeks.

Comment

Working...
                              X