Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to narrow down searches???

Okay, so I have a master's in Communications and know the only word always spelled incorrectly is "incorrectly." What I can't figure out to save my soul is how to narrow down searches on these nonpareil forum boards.

Say, for example, I want to look up Sweeney Entertainment. If I type in that two-word term and even enclose it in quotes, I get back every person, place or thing named "Sweeney" and the same for "√čntertainment." Seems as if 30 pages+ appear no matter what I'm searching. G-r-r-r!!! The only time I have any success is when I type in a wholly-off-the-wall-one-word-term like Ejiofor.

Like most guys, I don't like to ask questions that I should seem to know the answers to; however, I swear, I could spend a millennium (a word none of your friends can spell correctly, I guarantee you--because of the two n's) and not figure out what I'm guessing most others find a most user-friendly search engine.

Re: How to narrow down searches???

A few observations about this.

When you can, use Google search instead of the forum's search function.

But, as you may know, a Google search won't help you find things within certain sections of this forum. Because, for good reasons, the Super Mod configured certain sections to disable Google searching/indexing. And in those cases, you do need to use the forum's search function.

In those cases, as you noted, every search is an "or" search, even if you put two or more words in quotes.

When I use the forum's search, I usually use Advanced Search.

And sometimes I limit the search to one forum section.

I also sometimes limit the search to "Titles Only" (versus "Entire Posts").

Plus, I find it makes it easier to find specific/relevant posts if I select "Show results as posts" (versus "as threads").

And so, for example, if you wanted to find posts about "Sweeney Entertainment": Try an Advanced Search for Sweeney, limited to the "Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks" section. (But I think that section can also be searched by Google.)

Comment

Thanks so much, Manchester, for taking the time to craft such a well-written, informative response with examples to seal the deal!

So I'm not as search-engine dysfunctional as I thought I was. I don't want to rag on such a cool web site, but there's so much valuable information in the myriad past posts that folks like me will never have the chance to read because searching Done Deal Pro's archives is not user-friendly whatsoever.

Seems a shame that so much good stuff will forever remain unhelpful to writers in need because of a glaring lack of quality search-engine functionality.

Again, thanks my man, for your inestimable help. I will pay it forward--even though I will never uncover some likely hidden nuggets on Sweeney Entertainment and other important subjects that we writers would like to read past wisdom on.

I mean, what's the use of even collecting these zillions of past posts if only Bill Gates-level searchers can hunt them down!

To paraphrase the famous quote, "Those who can't learn from info-laden past posts are doomed to be less productive because they can't locate the words of wisdom contained within."

Comment

We can't control the search engine on these forums, unfortunately. They come with the forums, but they can still work. Two, not only can one search via the forums' built-in search engine, which works a bit better than some seem to think, but we did add, per a request a few years ago, a Google search form that just searches these forums only. Google indexes the heck out of our boards. Put in the key words you want in that top search box and it will give you results if there is a match.

Also, as Manchester noted, when you go into each forum, along the top right of the forums, there is a link for SEARCH THIS FORUM. Not that you did, but one should not be searching for Sweeney in the BASICS or say SCREENWRITING forums, for example. They are first and foremost a (talent) management firm. This is one of the main reasons why I'm always trying to keep on people to post in the correct forum and not just wherever they are at the moment that they have a question. It makes a big difference later when people search or look around for answers. (Your question might be a "basic" sounding question, but it should really be in the SITES forum since it's a technical question about using a site not a basic script writing/craft question.)

Thus after using either or both of those, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say there is nothing about Sweeney on these forums, surely due to the fact they rep talent/actors. They are listed on our main site in the MANAGEMENT section and per our records are associated with at least two film deals and one TV deal in the last 9 years. But two of the deals are for their actor/writer client Danny Strong -- keyword here being actor.

You can actually find all kinds of info on these forums via the searches. People show up here many, many times of day because of the Google search alone and find all kinds of info. And in case it helps any & all, here is a link to Google search tips: http://www.google.com/insidesearch/tipstricks/all.html

Hope this can help some.
        Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 08-12-2014, 08:37 AM.
        Will
        Done Deal Pro
        www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Thanks, Wil, for your most-helpful post, which amplified on Manchester's informative reply. And thanks, too, for not being the least-bit mean-spirited as some forum-meisters can be.

Now that I know the drill, I should be able to use your info-packed archives to much better advantage.

Plus, your information on Sweeney Entertainment, aka Sweeney Management, made me feel a bit better since I'd received a Send via VPF on a script I'm very high on. I sent my script on Sunday morning, and have heard nothing back, and being the glass-is-half-full type of guy I am, I'm thinking I probably will not hear from them at this point.

However, since the firm is also called Sweeney Management, I'd better try my new-found skills in searching on "Sweeney Management" as they might be much more prolific under that moniker.... I'll pay your generous assistance forward somehow, Wil--right away, if I take down the 100+ million-dollar Mega Million jackpot tonight

Comment

Originally posted by Lewstory1 View Post
            Thanks, Wil, for your most-helpful post, which amplified on Manchester's informative reply. And thanks, too, for not being the least-bit mean-spirited as some forum-meisters can be.
            You are most welcome. And as with most searches start as specific as you can and work your way out to fewer "unique" words only. A word like management as a keyword will bring up a lot of results; but a more unique name/word like Sweeney should quickly reduce the list. I'm pretty much positive they haven't been talked about here because again, they rep actors. Not usually the type of manager writers ask much about or discuss. (Nothing against the firm.)

Also, if you just sent something in, plan on waiting weeks to hear. It takes everyone awhile to read scripts. I have stuff out right now for people to look at for me. It takes time so don't worry. It's very much par for the course.

All the best.
            Will
            Done Deal Pro
            www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Working...
            X