No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Black List Experience

Originally posted by Phoenixman78 View Post
    I think if memory serves another reader on the Black List gave her a 3 at one stage for the same script and reviewed it like it was a comedy when it was actually a western? I may have that wrong because my memory ain't what it used to.............
    Many Black List scripts that have gotten 8s and 9s have also received sub-8 scores from other readers. Which is why it's a bit silly to refer to screenplays as "an 8" or "a 7" as if one score somehow reflected the script's eternal Platonic essence.

Comment

Originally posted by MrZero View Post
      Many Black List scripts that have gotten 8s and 9s have also received sub-8 scores from other readers. Which is why it's a bit silly to refer to screenplays as "an 8" or "a 7" as if one score somehow reflected the script's eternal Platonic essence.
      Exactly. Getting an 8 means nothing unless you get multiple 8's. Lauri's 9 catapulted her script into absolute nowhere because the majority of readers didn't think it was that great.
      I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

A lot of screenwriters today get trapped in the same "amateur" position, sometimes years, because they spend too much time debating criticism on a screenplay they believe is great rather writing a truly great script.

Yeah, a blacklist reader botched the review, didn't understand my screenplay. Roll up your sleeves and writer harder.

Just sayin'

Another thing I've noticed is that there are different types of writers uploading scripts on the Black List.

1) the writer with a 7-8 script just looking for another set of fresh eyes and then they get the deserved 7-8 rating. These are the success stories that end up signed, sold, or on the annual black list.

2) the writer with a 3-5 script who believes it's a worthy 7-8 that will get them the validation and attention from pros, but ends up with a 3-5 score and complaints of a broken system.

3) the writer who uses the black list coverage service to take the notes and implement them into later drafts. You know, what coverage is intended for.
        Last edited by Dustin Taylor; 01-04-2015, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
          I still stand by my criticism of the script (not writers) of Jack & Jill. And yes, I could write a better comedy. But why would I (or anyone else) choose to spend 6-12 months doing so? Maybe if Mazin promised me a pitch meeting with Paramount executives or something.
          The two guys who can't even manage to write scripts that hold the attention of bl readers COULD do better than pro writers, but aren't gonna.

F'ing classic.

Comment

Originally posted by BillWilliams12345 View Post
            The two guys who can't even manage to write scripts that hold the attention of bl readers COULD do better than pro writers, but aren't gonna.

F'ing classic.
            I've gotten 7's on the BL. I can hold a reader's attention. From what I've gathered, my storyworlds are just too big.

As for Jack & Jill, pros can turn out a turd once in a while -- Catwoman. J & J was an anomaly, admitted. But it doesn't change the fact that it was a horrible comedy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dustin Taylor View Post
              A lot of screenwriters today get trapped in the same "amateur" position, sometimes years, because they spend too much time debating criticism on a screenplay they believe is great rather writing a truly great script.

Yeah, a blacklist reader botched the review, didn't understand my screenplay. Roll up your sleeves and writer harder.

Just sayin'

Another thing I've noticed is that there are different types of writers uploading scripts on the Black List.

1) the writer with a 7-8 script just looking for another set of fresh eyes and then they get the deserved 7-8 rating. These are the success stories that end up signed, sold, or on the annual black list.

2) the writer with a 3-5 script who believes it's a worthy 7-8 that will get them the validation and attention from pros, but ends up with a 3-5 score and complaints of a broken system.

3) the writer who uses the black list coverage service to take the notes and implement them into later drafts. You know, what coverage is intended for.

I'm 3. I do think the coverage overall is great. When using the coverage, I would recommend writers be critical of the coverage and assess it towards movies made. I got coverage on several of my scripts because I wanted feedback BEFORE I sent them out and needed to know what weaknesses to address (and what things I got right).
              Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/NyFilmmaker32/videos

Comment

As for Jack & Jill, pros can turn out a turd once in a while -- Catwoman. J & J was an anomaly, admitted. But it doesn't change the fact that it was a horrible comedy.
                I never saw Jack and Jill.

The thing is, you just can't hang the writer without knowing more.

Was there a good script that got destroyed by actor and director egos? (Looking at the writing credits on that script, it seems eminently possible).

Or look at Catwoman. I mean, I'm willing to believe a lot of people could have written a better script ... given no outside interference, as much time as they needed, and complete creative freedom. But under the circumstances of that film, it's not so easy to say, right? (Although, you know, I've read enough amateur scripts to think that the number of people who could have written a better script is only a tiny fraction of the people who THINK they could have written a better script).

Films are the result of a process, and people who aspire to write in the industry should give other writers a certain amount of professional courtesy when it comes to understanding the role a writer players in that process.

On the flip side, I heard a great quote, I think from Brian Koppleman (although he may have been quoting somebody else): "Every writer in movie jail is there for a crime he swears somebody else committed."

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
                  I never saw Jack and Jill. Films are the result of a process, and people who aspire to write in the industry should give other writers a certain amount of professional courtesy when it comes to understanding the role a writer players in that process.
                  If scripts are a result of a collaborative process, then why did Mazin call me, just me, out to write a better comedy script?

Comment

I've gotten 7's on the BL. I can hold a reader's attention. From what I've gathered, my storyworlds are just too big.
                    You got a 7 out of 10? Congratulations on the c minus.

My game isn't at the pro level yet. But I don't make excuses about my storyworld size (wtf?) and ask for redos on bad scores. I don't say I'm better than writers who are kicking my ass. I'm working to get better.

Comment

"Films are the result of a process"

If scripts are a result of a collaborative process, then why did Mazin call me, just me, out to write a better comedy script?
                      He said films. Not scripts.

Classic.

Comment

My game isn't at the pro level yet. But I don't make excuses about my storyworld size (wtf?) and ask for redos on bad scores. I don't say I'm better than writers who are kicking my ass. I'm working to get better.
                        A) It's the readers who suggested to reduce the size of my sci-fi storyworld. And B) It wasn't the scores which prompted me to complain, it was the incompetence of the reviews. For eg:

Planet Earth was seen for 3 seconds at the beginning of my script. THAT'S IT. NEVER AGAIN. And for location, the reviewer wrote "Earth." WTF?

He said I introduced an alien race once, then never mentioned them again. They were the ANTAGONISTS. And they're name was mentioned SEVENTY-NINE FU*CKING TIMES.

It was so inaccurate, my only explanation is he was trying to get fired.

"Films are the result of a process"

He said films. Not scripts.

Classic.
                        Scripts are also the result of a collaborative process. Directors and producers have their say.

Comment

A) It's the readers who suggested to reduce the size of my sci-fi storyworld. And B) It wasn't the scores which prompted me to complain, it was the incompetence of the reviews. For eg:

Planet Earth was seen for 3 seconds at the beginning of my script. THAT'S IT. NEVER AGAIN. And for location, the reviewer wrote "Earth." WTF?

He said I introduced an alien race once, then never mentioned them again. They were the ANTAGONISTS. And they're name was mentioned SEVENTY-NINE FU*CKING TIMES.

Scripts are also the result of a collaborative process. Directors and producers have their say.
                          Well there are sucky readers out there. I recall one reader who wasn't inaccurate, but I disagree with his advice. I had a script that was about a man who had drama in trying to regain custody of his son. The reader wanted me to show courtroom scenes, and this advice I ignored. My script isn't a courtroom drama, the drama is about what the man must do in his life outside the courts to get his son back. Also I'm not writing the script for child custody lawyers or experts.

So I do hear you on some of their readers being really bad. It's amazing some people here can admit that a script can be bad, but seemingly can't conceive that coverage or a reader can be bad. Overall I thought my BlackList coverage was good (used for more than one script) but I did have a couple of bad readers.

So use the coverage for what it's worth, but at the same time you do not need the permission of a BlackList reader or BlackList itself on whether to proceed with your career. Many screenplays were clearly made into films before there was a BlackList, during BlackList, and will be made after BlackList which just might be the latest fad.
                          Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/NyFilmmaker32/videos

Comment

That is terrible. Similar stuff has happened to me before and then everyone says get a second review like that's the answer. I wouldn't mind so much but paying for a lazy reader to skim through a script boils my blood.

Comment

I might have missed something here, so just to confirm...

The OP uncovered issues of concern with The Black List services they paid for, then contacted TBL about the issues and TBL rectified them and apologised, offering the OP an extension of the services they originally requested. Correct?

...So what was the point of this thread?

If TBL didn't act on the issues the OP discovered with their service, understandable. But they did act to resolve the issues and from the OP's statement, it appears they acted quite fairly.

Again, what was the point of this thread?

Comment

While one score on the Blacklist (or any one read) is not the final say regarding the quality of a script, a 7 is not at all a "c minus". Two 7s would place a script among the top few uploaded scripts and earn it a high place on the front page.

Comment

Working...
                                X