Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatives to Triggerstreet?

I've been using it for a good year now and it's great for getting feedback but it's unfortunately closing soon ain't it. Any of you know any similar platforms that let you do peer-to-peer reviews? I always get afew reviews from people off there to weed out most of the problems then send it to a pro reader which i've found very useful. Anyone know any alternatives?

Re: Alternatives to Triggerstreet?

Zoetrope.

Or better yet use some of the contacts you made on Triggerstreet to form a good writer's group to review work.
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
    Dave Barry

Comment

I just checked Zoetrope and it's in a sad state right now. There are only 13 scripts available on their read page.

I always thought Triggerstreet was a valuable resource for new writers because of how quickly you could post stuff on there and get a variety of feedback (which admittedly wasn't always the best quality). Sad to see it gone.

Is there anything out there like this now?

Comment

I ran into a friend who talks nonstop about Talentville -- says its the "new Triggerstreet". I haven't visited the site, but you might try it.

I've heard about Stage32 but I don't know what they do other than their pay-for-pitches but they might have a script-share community.

Comment

The problem with those sites always were that most people rushed through their required reads and did the minimum amount of feedback just so they could see the feedback on their script.

The Blacklist probably hurt them bad, I mean why get your script read by some amateur from Kentucky when you can host it on the BL and possibly get read by an Agent or a Producer. I think the market has spoken.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyfress View Post
            The problem with those sites always were that most people rushed through their required reads and did the minimum amount of feedback just so they could see the feedback on their script.

The Blacklist probably hurt them bad, I mean why get your script read by some amateur from Kentucky when you can host it on the BL and possibly get read by an Agent or a Producer. I think the market has spoken.
            You are comparing an apple to an orange. Talentville is free and in many cases you can get much more larger, much more detailed and much more helpful review than you can get for $75 from the BL reader.

You can also ask additional questions to your reviewers and keep a communication with them. And, if you think their review is not helpful, you can give them lowest score... If you give them helpful reviews, you get helpful reviews

Maybe it's not as good as Triggerstreet was in terms of community, but still it works well if you want to read and to get read.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyfress View Post

The Blacklist is expensive though and IMO the site is (at least theoretically) intended for scripts that are already ready for market whereas Triggerstreet was more of a workshop for newer writers and beginners. I have used both sites in the past and while I think the reviewers on the BL are much stronger, the site doesn't fill the same niche as a place where you can easily get your stuff read by a variety of people for free.

I will check out this Talentville site. On first glance its interface looks a bit muddled, but I haven't really investigated things yet.

Comment

There is also Simplyscripts.net... Smaller community, but you can exchange the reviews with the members via their Review Exchange Tread: http://www.simplyscripts.net/cgi-bin...ah.pl?b-goose/

Comment

Not to throw salt, but my Talentville experience about a year ago was pretty awful and I am not likely to go back. The level of effort and the level of feedback I received on my script just weren't good at all -- not nearly equal to what I was giving on scripts I was given to review. Perhaps it can be attibuted to poor luck on what readers were served up my script, but how many short straws can there be in one handful?

All feedback is not created equal, except on Talentville it is. And the opportunity to rate one's reviewers feels like a huge waste of time as it doesn't get you any closer to your goal of getting good actionable feedback on your script. I reached out to the admins re: one review I received from an illiterate nutcase seeking replacement reader credits and never heard back. Anyway, that's been my experience, others may have different opinions.

Seacrest out.

Comment

Yeah, looks like better reviewers get assigned to review your work if you pay to become a citizen on talentville. Otherwise it's random who gets to review your script.

So that part is a little dodgy for sure. Bit like Ryanair, you can get their free assigned seating and sit squashed between two people twice your size or you can pay for your premier seating.

Blacklist is not too different with their hosting fees, otherwise it would be much better value. I guess they gotta make money somehow.

Comment

Miss the early days of Triggerstreet -- feels like they were actually one of the first to do what many others later did... will check out the new ones!

Comment

I used to frequent Triggerstreet, and I would say that with any peer review site, you have to put a lot into it to get something out of it. You're lucky to get an extensive, thoughtful review. Those do happen (I did my best), but you can't expect that to be the norm. However, even the drive-by reviews ("It was too long, your protag was an a-hole, here's some typos I found, the end") that are easily dismissed in isolation become helpful when you keep hearing the same criticism over and over.

To really assess the quality of your script on a peer review site, I'd say it takes a minimum of ten reviews, and more like twenty. If you don't feel like reviewing at least a dozen scripts to get helpful feedback on your own, I'd say look for help through other means.

Comment

Of course, you can't expect all the free reviews to be helpful...

And, you have to review a lot in order to get back something, but it's a win-win thing - by reading and reviewing the other screenplays you get better as a screenwriter...

When I posted there my first draft, it was unreadable. I got about 30 reviews and, even the worst review was somehow helpful...

Comment

Working...
                          X