YouMeScript.com

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • YouMeScript.com

    Has anyone here tried youmescript.com? Nice, online script formatter that allows import and export and saves (by default) to Google Drive. They also have a Pro version (which seems mostly to have "future" features). I've tested it a little (several months ago) and was impressed. I went back today just to see if they were still there. I'm surprised there's not much said about it -- it seems almost like they're quietly testing the site, but development is ongoing (if the revision list is any indication). At any rate, you might want to take a look at if you need yet another choice for a free script formatter.

    www.youmescript.com

    (This is not an endorsement -- I haven't really used it enough to know how solid it is in the long run, but I have tried importing and exporting and the results have been "clean.")
    STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

  • #2
    Re: YouMeScript.com

    This gets weird.

    They guy who's creating YouMeScript.com, Jake Lyall, is also the inventor of the R.I.O.T. Wheel.

    From Wikipedia:

    A RIOT wheel is a one-wheeled vehicle, or monowheel. Housing a motor and counterweight inside a giant wheel, the driver sits on a platform that extends out in front of the device. This is in contrast to the typical monowheels and their long history, where the rider sits inside the wheel.

    By moving the wheel's center of gravity forward, the wheel turns. Inside is a lead-weighted engine, which hangs by bearings off a stationary center shaft and uses its torque to move from 0 degrees vertical when stationary to 90 degrees forward at full blast, continually pulling itself forward around a sprocket bolted to the outer spokes. An independent counterweight system keeps the driver floating gently above ground out front, instead of inside the wheel, where most monowheel designs sequester him. Steering is handled by a gyro system and the driver's shifting weight

    37-year-old part-time programmer and Renaissance Fair jouster Jake Lyall had never worked for a garage, studied engineering, or even held a welder before he built the RIOT Wheel. Lyall spent $5,000 and 900 hours building a massive 1,100-pound motorized monowheel. The RIOT Wheel (which stands for Reinvention of the Wheel) reaches a top speed of about 28 mph. So far Lyall has no commercial designs on the project, which debuted at 2003's Burning Man Festival. He hopes that a refined electric version will break the monowheel land-speed record of 57 mph.

    Since the creation of the RIOT wheel, there have been 2 more designed RIOT 2 and RIOT 3. RIOT 2 utilizes a hybrid/electric engine and is mostly aluminum which makes it weigh significantly less. Its gyro is better designed, so it is more effective, while lighter and faster. The RIOT 3 is solely designed for beating the world single-wheel land-speed record. It is powered by a Kostov DC electric motor, which can (for short periods) produce 200 hp. Many electric vehicles have weight problems due to the batteries they utilize, and are slower because of that. The RIOT 3 however, is able to use the weight to its advantage.
    http://theriotwheel.com

    From his FAQ page:

    Can I BUY one?
    Are you NUTS? Then of course you can buy one. These are prototypes, and so stupidly dangerous, but if you'd have bought a Wright Flyer in 1904, then contact us NOW: [email protected] And if you want us to build you something similar, or something entirely different, we can talk about that, too.
    "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: YouMeScript.com

      Oh, and YouMeScript.com seems simple and solid.
      "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: YouMeScript.com

        Wow, I didn't know about this. Seems like a really great platform. Unfortunately without a PDF export feature the platform is still kind of useless to someone that doesn't have Final Draft or similar.

        I also find it scary that that there is no automatic backup, and that you have to pay for it by getting their Pro version. Also, every 15 minutes seems to be a bit stingy when it comes to the most frequent back-up cycle. I set my auto-save to every three minutes in Final Draft

        But I'll definitely be recommending this as another alternative to Celtix and their watermarked PDF export.
        Manfred Lopez Grem
        Writer - Director

        REEL - IMDB

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: YouMeScript.com

          Originally posted by manfredlopez View Post
          Wow, I didn't know about this. Seems like a really great platform. Unfortunately without a PDF export feature the platform is still kind of useless to someone that doesn't have Final Draft or similar.
          I just save to Final Draft (.fdx) format and load it into Trelby (another free screenwriting application). From there I can save to PDF. (I'm using Linux, not sure how all this works out in Windows.)
          STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: YouMeScript.com

            It seems you can also print to PDF from Chrome, but the pagination might not be exact. Still seems like a hassle. The good news is that apparently they are working on it.
            Manfred Lopez Grem
            Writer - Director

            REEL - IMDB

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: YouMeScript.com

              Originally posted by manfredlopez View Post
              It seems you can also print to PDF from Chrome, but the pagination might not be exact. Still seems like a hassle. The good news is that apparently they are working on it.
              I don't think I would use this as my only screenplay formatter but it's nice to know that any computer connected to Internet can be used for writing a script, and then it can be downloaded for local editing, etc.

              It looks like Firefox will also print to PDF (by hitting Ctrl+P) and filling in the dialogue -- it defaults to printing URL and page numbers, etc. -- so, in Linux, you have to shut all that off. Less hassle just to load into Trelby.
              STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: YouMeScript.com

                § THE RIOT WHEEL

                But I have an important question.

                When you're driving the RIOT Wheel, do the dogs chase you?

                § A SCREENPLAY FORMATTER

                Centos, I love free software. But if I wanted to do what you have in mind, I would just use Fountain format and then convert it with Trelby and print it. Actually, I would use Fade In to do the conversion, but I know that you feel a special connection to Trelby.

                Here is an example of Fountain text, which you can create with any text editor or word processor. I have deliberately included some challenging formatting: a minislug heading; an object, GUN, placed by itself at the left margin; and a nonstandard transition, SLOW BLACKOUT. These can be tagged to indicate what they are. You only have to tag unusual cases.

                The Fountain Text (saved as a text file, 'Fopp.fountain', where 'fountain' is the extension.)

                FADE IN:

                INT. JAIL - DAY

                The first cell has a prisoner. He is DR. FOPP, a local physician.

                DR. FOPP
                (frustrated)
                Hey! How about letting me out of here? I've got patients to see.

                .BOOKING AREA

                A police SERGEANT looks over at Dr. Fopp.

                SERGEANT
                Hey, doc, how about piping down?

                The Sergeant pulls out a

                !GUN

                and points it at Fopp.

                SERGEANT
                I would hate to have an accident with this gun.

                >SLOW BLACKOUT.


                and here is the result when I either import the file into Fade In or simply paste it in:

                Code:
                FADE IN:
                
                INT. JAIL - DAY
                
                The first cell has a prisoner. He is DR. FOPP, a local
                physician.
                
                                    DR. FOPP
                               (frustrated)
                          Hey! How about letting me out of
                          here? I've got patients to see.
                
                BOOKING AREA
                
                A police SERGEANT looks over at Dr. Fopp.
                
                                    SERGEANT
                          Hey, doc, how about piping down?
                
                The Sergeant pulls out a
                
                GUN
                
                and points it at Fopp.
                
                                    SERGEANT
                          I would hate to have an accident
                          with this gun.
                
                                                        SLOW BLACKOUT.
                NOTE: Trelby does not handle the special 'forcing' tags like ! for Action and . for Scene Heading. Maybe the updated version will do that.

                NOTE: If you use any characters that are not on the keyboard (each with its own key), you have to set the encoding of your text editor for UTF-8. At least a couple of FREE editors let you set the encoding. It is really easy. It is generally under File or Edit or Options.

                You can also save text as UTF-8 from within a word processor.

                And you do not even have to do any of this if you only use characters that are on your keyboard. (There is always an exception: You need UTF-8 for curly quotes, which most people have as the default on their word processors.)

                But as long as you only use keyboard characters and do not have curly quotes, you do not have to use UTF-8 encoding. But it is all right to use UTF-8 all the time in your text editor. That is what I do.

                Two free editors. I use both:

                Notepad ++
                https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

                Notepad2
                http://www.flos-freeware.ch/development-releases/

                Both are excellent.

                "The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: YouMeScript.com

                  Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                  Centos, I love free software. But if I wanted to do what you have in mind, I would just use Fountain format and then convert it with Trelby and print it. Actually, I would use Fade In to do the conversion, but I know that you feel a special connection to Trelby.
                  I tried Fountain for a while, but never really got used to it. If I still wrote a lot of short screenplays, I would probably look into it, but for my needs, Trelby and YouMeScript do fine.

                  Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                  Here is an example of Fountain text, which you can create with any text editor or word processor. I have deliberately included some challenging formatting: a minislug heading; an object, GUN, placed by itself at the left margin; and a nonstandard transition, SLOW BLACKOUT. These can be tagged to indicate what they are. You only have to tag unusual cases.
                  I saved it as a text file -- test.fountain -- and imported it into both YouMeScript and Trelby. Both had one issue. Neither liked the exclamation point. Here's the result (copying to "system" formatted text in Trelby and pasting directly into Done Deal) ...

                  Code:
                  FADE IN:
                  
                  INT. JAIL -- DAY
                  
                  The first cell has a prisoner. He is DR. FOPP, a local
                  physician.
                  
                                        DR. FOPP
                                  (frustrated)
                            Hey! How about letting me out of
                            here? I've got patients to see.
                  
                  BOOKING AREA
                  
                  A police SERGEANT looks over at Dr. Fopp.
                  
                                        SERGEANT
                            Hey, doc, how about piping down?
                  
                  The Sergeant pulls out a
                  
                  !GUN
                  
                  and points it at Fopp.
                  
                                        SERGEANT
                            I would hate to have an accident
                            with this gun.
                  
                                                               SLOW BLACKOUT.
                  Maybe it's a little cleaner in Linux?

                  EDIT: I ran another test using (lower case) ".booking area" and ".somewhere else" and ">slow blackout." -- all three successfully formatted and were capitalized in Trelby. So the exclamation point is the one issue. I'm guessing it's not used a lot.

                  Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                  NOTE: Trelby does not handle the special 'forcing' tags like ! for Action and . for Scene Heading. Maybe the updated version will do that.
                  Doesn't handle the exclamation point -- though this is the first time I've seen this feature in use -- but it does handle the rest. I'm using Trelby 2.2, is that newer than yours?

                  Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                  NOTE: If you use any characters that are not on the keyboard (each with its own key), you have to set the encoding of your text editor for UTF-8. At least a couple of FREE editors let you set the encoding. It is really easy. It is generally under File or Edit or Options.
                  I understand, in Linux Mint (Mate and Cinnamon versions anyhow) you just type CNTRL+Shift+U and then enter the four digit UTF 8 code. I can do that in just about any editor or web browser (even my terminal) in Linux. But, unfortunately, not in Trelby -- which really only matters for em dashes (for me, since I don't write in non-English languages).

                  Code:
                  INT. LIVING ROOM -- DAY
                  INT. LIVING ROOM — DAY
                  Definitely a difference, but the double hyphen doesn't bother me.

                  – — § ¶ © ® ¿ £

                  I get my charts from ...

                  http://unicode.org/charts/

                  Supplemental Latin ...

                  http://unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0080.pdf

                  For typographical marks, I found this chart to be good.

                  http://www.key-shortcut.com/en/writi...aphy-technics/

                  Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                  You can also save text as UTF-8 from within a word processor.

                  And you do not even have to do any of this if you only use characters that are on your keyboard. (There is always an exception: You need UTF-8 for curly quotes, which most people have as the default on their word processors.)

                  But as long as you only use keyboard characters and do not have curly quotes, you do not have to use UTF-8 encoding. But it is all right to use UTF-8 all the time in your text editor. That is what I do.

                  Two free editors. I use both:

                  Notepad ++
                  https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

                  Notepad2
                  http://www.flos-freeware.ch/development-releases/

                  Both are excellent.
                  Unfortunately neither will work in Linux.

                  Supposedly Trelby is soon to get a release 2.3 (so it can work with the newer versions of Linux that use python-wxgtk3.x instead of 2.8) -- I don't think it's going to add support for Unicode, however. If they do, I'll pass that information on.

                  If I was making a living (or trying to make a living) writing screenplays, I would probably buy FADE IN: -- but I'm not, and what I've got works fine for my occasional use. I like "making do."
                  Last edited by Centos; 07-10-2016, 11:21 PM.
                  STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: YouMeScript.com

                    I don't trust it. Google is evil. That is all.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: YouMeScript.com

                      Centos wrote:
                      I ran another test using (lower case) ".booking area" and ".somewhere else" and ">slow blackout." -- all three successfully formatted and were capitalized in Trelby. So the exclamation point is the one issue. I'm guessing it's not used a lot.
                      Sorry, Centos, I misled you on that issue.

                      The dot . for a Scene Heading, and the > for a Transition were part of the original Fountain specification. I momentarily forgot that.

                      However, the newer specification (1.1) includes some more things, like:

                      ! for Action

                      @ for Character

                      ~ for a Lyric

                      All of these are placed at the left margin.

                      Trelby does not support these. It also does not support dual dialogue from a Fountain file. I do not think that it supports notes/synopses from Fountain, but I did not test it.

                      Maybe the 2.3 version will add these features.

                      But it really needs to become Unicode-compliant. If you know any of the guys involved in development, you might lobby for that. I wrote to Anil Gulecha maybe a couple of years ago or so, and I never heard back. I do not know if he is still helping with Trelby or not.

                      "The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: YouMeScript.com

                        By the way, I am all for having Trelby available. I am glad to hear that someone (I forget his name, but I saw it on Github the other day) is still working on the program. I guess Anil moved on and is doing other things.

                        Since Python 3.x (unlike 2.x) is Unicode-compatible by default, maybe the developers will make Trelby support Unicode.

                        "The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: YouMeScript.com

                          Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                          The dot . for a Scene Heading, and the > for a Transition were part of the original Fountain specification. I momentarily forgot that.

                          However, the newer specification (1.1) includes some more things, like:

                          ! for Action

                          @ for Character

                          ~ for a Lyric

                          All of these are placed at the left margin.

                          Trelby does not support these. It also does not support dual dialogue from a Fountain file. I do not think that it supports notes/synopses from Fountain, but I did not test it.
                          Okay, I tested these, in both Trelby and YouMeScript, and neither worked. Amazon's Storywriter (however) was able to make sense of it. I don't quite see why I need to specify "@" or "!" instead of just typing the character's name or beginning a line of action. But I think I'll take a closer look at Fountain, it's kind of interesting how much development has continued (long after I originally tried it).

                          Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                          Maybe the 2.3 version will add these features.
                          I don't think I would bet on it. It looks like it's going to be a very minimal update.

                          Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                          But it really needs to become Unicode-compliant. If you know any of the guys involved in development, you might lobby for that. I wrote to Anil Gulecha maybe a couple of years ago or so, and I never heard back. I do not know if he is still helping with Trelby or not.
                          He's still there, he's the one who told me that Trelby 2.3 was on the way. The "other guy," Oksu Salerma (originally of Oskusoft), is the one who first wrote and published the original predecessor of Trelby, called Blyte, which was a commercial software package that never got much traction. It was released into the public domain in 2007, I belive. He posted for a short while on the misc.writing.screenplays (or misc.writing.screenplays.moderated) - can't remember which now. (Quick research shows that Osku Salerma first announced a request for beta testers on 10/09/2004 - Blyte 1.0 was released in December of that year.)

                          (I don't personally know either, but I have communicated with both Anil, via Done Deal, and Oksu, via misc.writing.screenplays. I was one of his original beta testers for Blyte.)
                          STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: YouMeScript.com

                            Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                            By the way, I am all for having Trelby available. I am glad to hear that someone (I forget his name, but I saw it on Github the other day) is still working on the program. I guess Anil moved on and is doing other things.

                            Since Python 3.x (unlike 2.x) is Unicode-compatible by default, maybe the developers will make Trelby support Unicode.
                            I always think choice is good. I'm going to try test installing what will become Trelby 2.3 (via makefiles and other stuff I don't understand, but I'll be following step by step instructions from someone on Trelby's forum).

                            I'll report back about any improvements - unless I can't get it working.

                            EDIT: I was able to compile Trelby 2.3-dev on this computer (running Linux Mint 18 on a thumb drive). The only change that I can see is that it now will install on Linux Mint 18 (and other Linux distributions using python-wxgtk3.0 instead of python-wxgtk2.8, I'm guessing). There is still no Unicode support and fountain remains at its previous level.

                            In one short thread on the Trelby forums someone asked if Unicode would be supported, Anil flat-out said no, "Trelby was not designed to do that." Anil also said (in another thread) that development has ended, but Osku "corrected him" and said it is just really slow because the developers are so busy.

                            As it is, I can now use Trelby on Linux Mint 18 for another five years. But I haven't gained any new features - not that I've really missed Unicode or Fountain 1.1 support up to this point.
                            Last edited by Centos; 07-12-2016, 11:59 PM.
                            STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: YouMeScript.com

                              This is Jake, the guy who wrote / is writing YouMeScript. I've been wondering how I could improve Fountain support, but I don't get that much feedback, so it's hard to know what to do next...?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X