No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My experience about the Blacklist - and the bigger picture

Originally posted by Crayon View Post
    There is nowhere in what Takeshiro wrote ...
    ... where bisexuality and transgender are referred to as trends, as you claim they are here ...
    If user names were not anonymous, that would be libel.
    Apparently you don't understand the meaning of a colon. Good luck in your screenwriting career!!
    "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
      Apparently you don't understand the meaning of a colon. Good luck in your screenwriting career!!
      Oh gawd, yes; you're right: that colon must mean Takeshiro is saying that bisexuality and transgender are actually trends themselves, rather than just mentioning them as examples of trends in scriptwriting. How incredibly ignorant of him/her. But how awfully astute of you. We're lucky that you're here to spot that kind of thing for us.
      Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
      "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by Crayon View Post
        Oh gawd, yes; you're right: that colon must mean Takeshiro is saying that bisexuality and transgender are actually trends themselves, rather than just mentioning them as examples of trends in scriptwriting. How incredibly ignorant of him/her. But how awfully astute of you. We're lucky that you're here to spot that kind of thing for us.
        Really? Bisexuality and transgenderism are trends in screenwriting? First time I've heard that.

He didn't say that he saw "scripts that follow current trends in screenplays" or "trends in the industry". He said "scripts that follow a trend", period.

But if I'm misinterpreting his meaning based on the brevity of his words, I'm happy for him to correct me.

Comment

Curious to hear how Takeshiro thinks a lot of bisexual and transgender characters are being shoved into movies in an unnatural way. It'd be an interesting insight.
          Probably if you read the 70 scripts that Takeshiro mentioned it would be obvious to you.
          STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

I'd have to agree on this. I for one found it strange to refer to "bisexuality" and "transgender" as "trends".
            The trend's pretty old. Lisbeth Salanader really started it.
            I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
              The trend's pretty old. Lisbeth Salanader really started it.
              : ) Good luck on PAGE tomorrow. Crossing fingers for myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Centos View Post
                Probably if you read the 70 scripts that Takeshiro mentioned it would be obvious to you.
                Thanks, Captain Obvious.

Comment

: ) Good luck on PAGE tomorrow. Crossing fingers for myself.
                  Haha. You too.
                  I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Thanks, Captain Obvious.
                    You're welcome, Captain Bitter.
                    STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Centos View Post
                      You're welcome, Captain Bitter.
                      Haha. Far from it.

Comment

For what it's worth, the whole industry is subjective. I have friends that are making no budget films and getting into international film festivals like TIFF or Toronto After Dark and I don't think they ever used a paid evaluation. They don't read much of anyone else's stuff either and they learned from each project, but they knew when their script was go ready.

I mean, seriously, look at what studios put in the box office that they thought was go ready. And even if these producers find a spec that is "go ready", do you think they're not going to want a lot of free rewrites?

My experience with the Blacklist is that I got a good evaluation that led to a bunch of downloads, some mixed ratings, and one blind request for more material from a newbie at one of the big lit management companies. But beyond that, nada. Maybe some people are a little too influenced by the evaluations, both positively and negatively, and their coming to the story like the audience after reading reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.

Either way, I'm finding myself more and more leaning toward Terry Rosio's advice to start my screenwriting career with my own animation studio in my garage.
                        "All of us trying to be the camera behind the camera behind the camera. The last story in line. The Truth" Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted

Comment

Working...
                        X