Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blcklst score - 7. Now what?

He wrote the absolutely awesome Shadow 19, which got him the Prometheus gig.
    I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by Goliath View Post
      Well, Jon Spaiht's Passengers also had a huge budget and was pushed around for years.. but now it's finally being made at a budget of $120 million. Why can't yours be the same?
      Originally posted by FoxHound
      Hers can't be the same 'cause Spaihts is a big time screenwriter and she's just trying to break in.
      Spaihts wasn't a big time screenwriter when he wrote Passengers - it helped him become one.

What gets forgotten here so much is that most specs that launch careers aren't bought/produced - they prove a writer can write, and lead to jobs. It's why all this talk about budget and sets and trends and markets and what have you is disheartening - it's pushing people towards an improbable goal, and ignoring the realities of how careers work.

The feature spec that launched me in that field was a black comedy (which "experts" tell you never to write) about Hollywood (which "experts" will also tell you never to write).

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
        What gets forgotten here so much is that most specs that launch careers aren't bought/produced - they prove a writer can write, and lead to jobs. It's why all this talk about budget and sets and trends and markets and what have you is disheartening - it's pushing people towards an improbable goal, and ignoring the realities of how careers work.
        The other problem is, a new writer doesn't always know how expensive some special effects are even when he is worrying about the cost. I posted a short comedy/horror script (probably more of a skit than a script) on the late, great misc.writing.screenplays. About the same time a reality show photographer (and screenplay writer) said he had some down time and would like to shoot a horror short. Mine got mentioned, I gave permission and the photographer said he'd like to shoot it but he only had a couple thousand dollars and the props/special effects would cost more than that. Then a prop guy (and screenplay writer) explained a way to do the props for a couple hundred dollars -- he took them in a direction, I wouldn't have thought of in a hundred years. So the photographer decided he wanted shoot it but got called back to his real job the next day.

I didn't care about cost when I was writing it, I just wrote it the way that seemed funny to me.

Create your characters, create the world they live, and let 'em go hog wild. When you start wondering how they're going to pay the rent, creativity takes a nose dive.

(Edit: I was thinking about editing this all day, but couldn't get back to it. I just wanted to say, I realize my example is a tiny example of what people are talking about, when they mention budgets. Obviously if you have a cast of 50,000 and you're filming in every country of the world, it's high budget. My clumsy point was supposed to be, maybe we ought to leave it to the pros who know how to put a movie together, and let them worry about the budget.)
        Last edited by StoryWriter; 08-31-2016, 08:11 PM.
        "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Originally posted by Goliath View Post
          Well, Jon Spaiht's Passengers also had a huge budget and was pushed around for years.. but now it's finally being made at a budget of $120 million. Why can't yours be the same?

I did like the Passengers script though I found one part of the ending too unbelievable... Anyway, you have a link where I can read your script? Care to share it?
          I really enjoyed Spaiht's Passengers, too. So good that I still remember the entire story. And you're right, right smack in the middle there's a huge contrivance. I wouldn't have done it and it did take some of the brilliance away-- but still one of the best.

Sure I'll share. Send me your email via PM and I'll forward it to you. Do you want to read the feature or the pilot?
          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
          X