Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black List Prep - Script Exchange

I've been following these forums for a while, posted here and there. After perusing the numerous threads, I've decided to finally give the Black List a go: 1 month hosting + 2 paid reviews = $175. A significant chunk of change for sure.

That's why I'd like to propose a script exchange with any person(s) also considering the Black List and would like to know if their work is up to the par excellence required prior to handing over such an amount of money.

Re: Black List Prep - Script Exchange

Back in my day, when we finished a screenplay it was not uncommon to spend $300 on photocopies, postage and SASE for query replies. It wasn't considered a big deal or a hardship. It was just the way things worked.

Good luck with the BL, but let me give you some advice. Only buy ONE review at a time. If you're lucky enough to get an 8, you'll get comped 2 free reviews.

If you've somehow misjudged your work entirely and get a 3, you can use any good advice in the review to take another pass at it and then erase the 3 and start fresh.

It is true that you need *2* reviews to create a weighted average and get on the top list, but I feel like it's better to see where you stand first.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I was actually told against getting just one due to the weighted average issue you mentioned. But I'm not as well-versed in the Black List's mechanics as others are on here.

So the average has to be an 8 in order to get comp reviews and free hosting? What if you bought 2 reviews, one was a 5 and the other was an 8/9?

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
      Back in my day, when we finished a screenplay it was not uncommon to spend $300 on photocopies, postage and SASE for query replies. It wasn't considered a big deal or a hardship. It was just the way things worked.

Good luck with the BL, but let me give you some advice. Only buy ONE review at a time. If you're lucky enough to get an 8, you'll get comped 2 free reviews.

If you've somehow misjudged your work entirely and get a 3, you can use any good advice in the review to take another pass at it and then erase the 3 and start fresh.

It is true that you need *2* reviews to create a weighted average and get on the top list, but I feel like it's better to see where you stand first.

Comment

Originally posted by nguyensquared View Post
        Thanks for the tip. I was actually told against getting just one due to the weighted average issue you mentioned. But I'm not as well-versed in the Black List's mechanics as others are on here.

So the average has to be an 8 in order to get comp reviews and free hosting? What if you bought 2 reviews, one was a 5 and the other was an 8/9?
        I guess a better way to explain it might be that if you buy 1 review and it comes back an 8, you won't have to spend any more than that initial $100 (for a few months anyway... A single score of 8 or above will get you the comps).

If the review comes back a 3 or a 4*, you've likely got some more work to do on that script before hoping to make any top lists, and you probably shouldn't spend any more money. Plus, when you're ready to get a review on a revised draft, you can delete that low score and start fresh.

If you get a 5-6-7, go right ahead and buy that second review then. The default Top List is for the quarter, so there's no big rush (unless the reviews are taking 4+ weeks to come back). Generally any average over 6 will get your script on the list (5+8, 6+7, etc).

*It's not that uncommon to have a 3 point disparity between different reviewers (in my experience), but a score of 3 or 4 is pretty damning. I feel like the BL is a little bit like the SAT test, where you get 400 points just for filling in your name. Meaning, if you type 90-120 pages in the proper screenplay format, you're getting a 2, minimum. By my reasoning, if everybody gets a gratis 2, a 3 means your writing stinks.

Comment

Oh, and I don't have any scripts to exchange right now, but if you put a logline and the first 5 pages up here, someone (maybe even me) might be able to tell you if you're in the ballpark.

Comment

Got it. Thanks for the explanation!

I guess a better way to explain it might be that if you buy 1 review and it comes back an 8, you won't have to spend any more than that initial $100 (for a few months anyway... A single score of 8 or above will get you the comps).

If the review comes back a 3 or a 4*, you've likely got some more work to do on that script before hoping to make any top lists, and you probably shouldn't spend any more money. Plus, when you're ready to get a review on a revised draft, you can delete that low score and start fresh.

If you get a 5-6-7, go right ahead and buy that second review then. The default Top List is for the quarter, so there's no big rush (unless the reviews are taking 4+ weeks to come back). Generally any average over 6 will get your script on the list (5+8, 6+7, etc).

*It's not that uncommon to have a 3 point disparity between different reviewers (in my experience), but a score of 3 or 4 is pretty damning. I feel like the BL is a little bit like the SAT test, where you get 400 points just for filling in your name. Meaning, if you type 90-120 pages in the proper screenplay format, you're getting a 2, minimum. By my reasoning, if everybody gets a gratis 2, a 3 means your writing stinks.

Comment

Generally any average over 6 will get your script on the list (5+8, 6+7, etc).
              Does getting on the list with just a 6 still get industry people to download it? Or do you need an average of 8 or more?

Comment

I believe you need an 8 or higher to get on the email list. I'm told 6s and 7s can get attention too if the category-specific scores are high enough.

After careful consideration, I bit the bullet and decided to purchase an evaluation and a month hosting. As this forum's been valuable to me, I'll open it up to any "industry professionals" who may be interested:

https://blcklst.com/members/scripts/view/63996

"In 1970s Louisiana, a gun-toting bride hunts down her groom after he runs out on their shotgun wedding in order to prevent her child from being born out of wedlock."

Originally posted by ScreenRider View Post
                Does getting on the list with just a 6 still get industry people to download it? Or do you need an average of 8 or more?

Comment

Think this post got delayed before I had time to respond. I went ahead and bit so the script's already up:

"In 1970s Louisiana, a gun-toting bride hunts down her groom after he runs out on their shotgun wedding in order to prevent her child from being born out of wedlock."

Oh, and I don't have any scripts to exchange right now, but if you put a logline and the first 5 pages up here, someone (maybe even me) might be able to tell you if you're in the ballpark.

Comment

Originally posted by nguyensquared View Post
                    Think this post got delayed before I had time to respond. I went ahead and bit so the script's already up:

I like the concept. Road trips almost always work. Tougher to pull off as a period piece, though. I'm assuming it's integral to the plot? Obviously a single mother in the 70's was a bigger deal, but I wonder if anyone under 30 could relate to that today (if that's the ONLY reason for the period setting).

I think using the word gun twice is redundant, though. Maybe something along the lines of-

A jilted, pregnant bride gives the term 'shotgun wedding' a whole new meaning when she hunts down her runaway groom in 1970's Louisiana.

My phrasing might be a little corny, but it immediately lets everyone know it's a comedy.

Comment

Since it is a Romance Comedy, that could work too. Doing a "hit-and-run" on a bride is always a rotten thing to do; and a shotgun wedding with literal shotguns sounded like a good launching point for a premise.

Thanks for the input!

I like the concept. Road trips almost always work. Tougher to pull off as a period piece, though. I'm assuming it's integral to the plot? Obviously a single mother in the 70's was a bigger deal, but I wonder if anyone under 30 could relate to that today (if that's the ONLY reason for the period setting).

I think using the word gun twice is redundant, though. Maybe something along the lines of-

A jilted, pregnant bride gives the term 'shotgun wedding' a whole new meaning when she hunts down her runaway groom in 1970's Louisiana.

My phrasing might be a little corny, but it immediately lets everyone know it's a comedy.

Comment

Working...
                      X