Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kit Scenarist 0.7.2 beta 6

Kit Scenarist (another free screenwriting application) keeps quietly improving. The newest version is now 0.7.2 beta 6. I tried it on my laptop (which is 64 bit Linux) – Kit Scenarist 0.7.1 r11 appears to be the last 32 bit Linux version – and I was happy to see that Kit Scenarist now imports and exports several more file formats (I was using 0.7.0 beta x). I also upgraded to 0.7.1 r11 on my desktop and it also supports several more formats than originally also (one less than 0.7.2. beta 6).

In 0.7.1 r11 and 0.7.2 beta 6 you can import a Final Draft screenplay (.fdx), a Final Draft template (.fdxt), a Trelby screenplay (.trelby), an Office Open XML file (.doc, docx), an OpenDocument (.odt) file and (the one I like best) Fountain (.fountain) formatted files. The 64-bit Kit Scenarist (0.7.2 beta 6) also imports Celtx projects (.celtx). Pretty impressive for free.

Both versions will export to DOCX, PDF, FDX and Fountain.

In addition to the Script module, Kit Scenarist also has a Research Module, Cork Board for Index Cards, and Statistics (where you can find Summary statistics, Scene report, Location report, Cast report and Characters' dialogues). There's also Plot Anylasis available, though I haven't looked into that yet.

I think the application is well worth looking into.

More information can be found in the Announcement Section ...
    http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...t=81721&page=5

There's also a Mobile app, but I don't use Android or iPhone so I really can't look into that.
    STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Re: Kit Scenarist 0.7.2 beta 6

I've been playing around with KIT Scenarist. This is a good application. I like moving scenes around from the Cork Board – seems to work without issue. I've installed it on a Windows 8.1 partition, on several Linux computers (including this one, a 2003 (15 year old) Dell Latitude D400 running Linux Mint Mate 17.1) and it works just as slick as it does on the newer equipment. (Try that with Final Draft.) I'm thinking of doing a comparison "review" to Fade In Pro and, though I don't think KIT Scenarist will win out, I think it will come a lot closer than most folks would think. I just realized today that you can adjust all setting for the various elements -- so it's like Movie Magic Screenwriter in that regard. You will have to learn (or convert) the metric system, however, as there is way to change from millimeters to inches. I'll try to write something on it and then give a review. Well worth looking into.
    STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

I've found an issue that -- so far -- I haven't been able to bypass. When exporting your Kit Scenarist screenplay it wants to use scene numbers. You can overcome this when exporting to Fountain, DOCX or PDF documents by clicking "Additional (Numbering, Title Page, etc.)" and un-checking scene numbering, page numbering, title - whatever you don't want to export. (You also have to be sure to choose "Script" rather than "Outline" at the top.) As mentioned, this works well, in three of the four export choices, but NOT with Final Draft (.fdx) - which, unfortunately, would probably be important when sharing scripts with non-KIT Scenarist users.

Comment

Thanks, Centos. As I said in the neighboring thread, the bug with export will be fixed in the next release.

And of course, I'll be very grateful if you'll make a comparison review.
        Developer of the Free and Open Source screenwriting software KIT Scenarist

Comment

Originally posted by dimkanovikov View Post
          Thanks, Centos. As I said in the neighboring thread, the bug with export will be fixed in the next release.

And of course, I'll be very grateful if you'll make a comparison review.
          I somehow missed the "neighboring thread" -- is that the original Announcement section? (I think messages are delayed there for moderation, so it may not be showing up yet.)

As for the comparison, I'll try to do that fairly soon. You're up against some pretty stiff competition with Fade In Pro. Maybe I'll add Trelby since I still like that "long in the tooth" application.

What's funny is that the guy who originally published Trelby (he called it Blyte at first) was asking for (or maybe we were volunteering) names on the old screenwriting newsgroup, I think I suggested Fade In.

(It's still on misc.writing.screenplays, via Google Groups -- from December 22, 2004 ... How about something taken from elements of screenplays, like "Fade In," or "Smash Cut?")

Osku Salerma preferred Blyte -- later it changed to Trelby, but I think that was after his partner came aboard.

No one is using "Smash Cut" yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Centos View Post
            I somehow missed the "neighboring thread" -- is that the original Announcement section? (I think messages are delayed there for moderation, so it may not be showing up yet.)
            Ah... I forget about it. Yes, I mean the thread in promotion section.

Haha The irony of fate...

Comment

My trilby is off to Dimkanovikov for even trying to program a screenwriting program.

Dimkanovikov, if you can understand that sentence, then you understand English well.

I had hopes for «Trelby» a few years ago, but it suffered an early case of «failure to thrive» (it's a medical term) and now appears to be moribund (another medical term).

The programmers said that they wanted a new name for Blyte. I remember all of that. Unfortunately, in selecting «Trelby» they goofed up. It must be a reference to the hat, because they used the hat icon. However, the word for the hat is not «trelby» but «trilby».

It is not good to make a mistake with the name of your screenwriting application (nor to create a confusion even if you do not make a mistake). Is it supposed to be «Trelby» or «Trilby»? It really does matter, if the hat is going to be the icon.

A mistake like that is sort of like creating a screenwriting program and naming it «Final Daft» — which, now that I think about it, might not be so inappropriate at all.

By the way, getting serious now: (1) I think that «Smash Cut» would be a wonderful name for a screenwriting application. It's not too late, Dimkanovikov! Grab it while you can. I do not think that KIT Scenarist (if that is the exact name) is a good choice. (2) Also, I have no problem with the metric system. As a physician, I am scientifically educated, and the metric system is so easy that I am embarrassed even to mention the whole issue. But Americans are rigid and lazy, and as a group they are not going to adapt to centimeters and millimeters. So you might want to think about having an option (eventually) to let the user choose the metric or the English system of measurement.

The US actually adopted the metric system for about one minute back in 1977 or 1978 (I could look it all up, but I will not). Congress quickly went back and repealed the legislation. I do not remember exactly what law was passed, what happened, and how long the law was in effect. But, despite the celebration among those of us who wanted the metric system, the victory was quickly turned into defeat.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Hello ComicBent.

Thanks for your message. I hope that you, in your first sentence show respect to my initiative But you are right, I'm not good at understanding English, but I study and try to improve my knowledge about it! So, if I'll be unclear about some things, please correct me. I know programming language much better, that's why I decide to write application instead of a book

The name of the app is KIT Scenarist. You are correct. It's just a transliteration from original name "КИТ Сценарист", which means "Screenwriter's toolkit". I don't plan to change project's name.

Thanks a lot, for your suggestion about metric systems. I will improve this part of the program in one of the future updates.

Comment

Hi, Dimkanovikov ...

No, my first sentence was not an insult or a negative comment. It was a reference to a hat (by using the word *trilby*).

A common expression in English is "My hat is off to you", which means "I am showing respect to you". So the remark was the opposite of an insult. I was saying that you had a good command of English if you could understand my metaphor.

Good luck with the project!

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

ComicBent, thanks!

Centos, I can't reproduce the error with export to FDX-files. If I turn of checkbox "Print scene numbers" file saved without numbers. Maybe numbers which you see was added by software which does an import. Can you recheck it, please?

Comment

Originally posted by dimkanovikov View Post
                      ComicBent, thanks!

Centos, I can't reproduce the error with export to FDX-files. If I turn of checkbox "Print scene numbers" file saved without numbers. Maybe numbers which you see was added by software which does an import. Can you recheck it, please?
                      My mistake. KIT Scenarist (0.7.2 beta6) does work correctly on the 64-bit Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.2 (Ubuntu 16.04) and on Windows 8.1 machine (two partitions, same computer). It does not work correctly on the Linux Mint Mate 17.1 machines (Ubuntu 14.04, 32-bit), desktop or laptop (using the older 0.7.1 rc11 software). I'm sorry I caused you extra work checking into this. I should have double checked all machines before commenting. I'll correct my comments in the other thread. (I think I failed to uncheck Page Numbers in the Export dialog in the newer version.) I'll edit my comment in the other thread.

Comment

It's all right, man. Thanks a lot for rechecking it!

Comment

Working...
                        X