Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fade In Pro - export to ePub

While taking a closer look at Trelby, Fade In Pro and KIT Scenarist, I discovered that Fade In Pro is capable of exporting to ePub format (actually two separate ePub formats). Very nice for reading your script on the road. At least it's nice for those of us who still use eReaders instead of tablets.

Hopefully I'll soon have a "review" -- so to speak -- posted that will compare Trelby, Fade In Pro and KIT Scenarist (the three GUI screenplay formatters that work natively with Linux).
    STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Re: Fade In Pro - export to ePub

When you export to epub, choose the "Script" format. You will see an alert that says that this is "less compatible" than "Book" format, but Script format works fine.

To explain the confusion ... Originally the "Script" format did not work very well. It had extra blank lines and looked unattractive.

However, because I had become familiar with CSS code, I figured out how to tweak the generated epub code so that the script looked normal. I sent an email to Kent Tessman, the programmer of Fade In, and told him what I was doing. In response, he made some changes to Fade In. Since then, the generated script has looked really nice. For some reason, he has just never changed that scary alert, which really does not apply anymore.

If I am just going to read a screenplay, I always convert the PDF (or whatever) to Fade In and then read it on my Samsung tablet. You have to use Dropbox to do this, but you can get a free account that gives you up to 2G of space. You also have to put the screenplay into a folder called «Fadein» in your dropbox.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Re: Fade In Pro - export to ePub

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
      When you export to epub, choose the "Script" format. You will see an alert that says that this is "less compatible" than "Book" format, but Script format works fine.

To explain the confusion ... Originally the "Script" format did not work very well. It had extra blank lines and looked unattractive.

However, because I had become familiar with CSS code, I figured out how to tweak the generated epub code so that the script looked normal. I sent an email to Kent Tessman, the programmer of Fade In, and told him what I was doing. In response, he made some changes to Fade In. Since then, the generated script has looked really nice. For some reason, he has just never changed that scary alert, which really does not apply anymore.
      I'm glad you did. It looks good in both formats on my eReaders.

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
      If I am just going to read a screenplay, I always convert the PDF (or whatever) to Fade In and then read it on my Samsung tablet. You have to use Dropbox to do this, but you can get a free account that gives you up to 2G of space. You also have to put the screenplay into a folder called «Fadein» in your dropbox.
      I'm not much of a tablet person. I have an Amazon Fire, but the main thing I do with it is charge it every now and then. I just like eReaders better, lighter, batteries last forever and easier on my eyes.
      STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Working...
      X