Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hashtag symbol in Final Draft on Imac

I recently switched from a PC to an IMAC. Can't find the hashtag symbol anywhere when using Final Draft. I've seen some suggestions that US keyboard's use alt 3 to bring it up but that doesn't seem to work on a UK keyboard.

Anybody know the answer to this one, pls?
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 10-07-2020, 08:40 AM. Reason: Added tags

Re: Hashtag symbol in Final Draft on Imac

The hashtag character (#) is the ANSI 35 character if you can insert that. The other option is to copy it from another document and paste it into your script.

HTH,
    Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
    3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

On my apple keyboard it's above the number 3.

SHIFT 3 = #

##########

Comment

Hello, IT.
        Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
        3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
          On my apple keyboard it's above the number 3.

SHIFT 3 = #

##########
          Unfortunately on the UK keyboard the £ sign is above the 3.

Comment

Originally posted by KitchonaSteve View Post
            The hashtag character (#) is the ANSI 35 character if you can insert that. The other option is to copy it from another document and paste it into your script.

HTH,
            Yeah I’ve been copying and pasting from other files when needed but it’s not ideal. Was hoping there was a simple solution. Very strange that it appears to be omitted from a UK version of FD

Comment

Originally posted by Mintclub View Post
              I recently switched from a PC to an IMAC. Can't find the hashtag symbol anywhere when using Final Draft. I've seen some suggestions that US keyboard's use alt 3 to bring it up but that doesn't seem to work on a UK keyboard.

Anybody know the answer to this one, pls?
              Use ALT (Option) + 3 on a UK keyboard (don’t Shift+ALT+3)

How to do a hashtag on Mac” — Macworld UK

“Mac keyboard shortcuts you need to know”
              Last edited by Clint Hill; 07-12-2020, 04:22 PM.
              “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
                Use ALT (Option) + 3 on a UK keyboard (don't Shift+ALT+3)

"How to do a hashtag on Mac- - Macworld UK

"Mac keyboard shortcuts you need to know-
                Thanks Tiger. Unfortunately this one brings up I/E

Comment

Originally posted by Mintclub View Post
                  Thanks Tiger. Unfortunately this one brings up I/E
                  Which keyboard make and model are you using, please? Also, what version of Final Draft, please? After I receive those answers, I’ll try to find out for you how you can create a hashtag symbol using a keyboard shortcut, if there is one.

In the meantime, your other option is to go to System Preferences, Keyboard, then open the Text tab. There you can create a shortcut for a hashtag you will copy & paste from elsewhere.

1. Use a word processing program to create the hashtag symbol. As a precaution, although it’s not necessary, you can create it in Courier (whatever) font and size 12, or whatever font and font size you use to write your scripts. Copy and paste a hashtag from elsewhere, then highlight it and change its font and size to what you use to write scripts. Copy and paste this result as described in step 2.

2. Under the Text tab in the “Replace” column, use the word “hashtag” (or “xyz,” or anything else you wish), then in the “With” column, paste the hashtag symbol you created in the word processing program.

From then on, you write the word “hashtag” (or your code for it) wherever you want the hashtag symbol and your iMac will give you the option of replacing the word “hashtag” with the hashtag symbol you pasted in the “With” column in your Text list.
                  Last edited by Clint Hill; 07-13-2020, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Which keyboard make and model are you using, please? Also, what version of Final Draft, please? After I receive those answers, I’ll try to find out for you how you can create a hashtag symbol using a keyboard shortcut, if there is one.

In the meantime, your other option is to go to System Preferences, Keyboard, then open the Text tab. There you can create a shortcut for a hashtag you will copy & paste from elsewhere.

1. Use a word processing program to create the hashtag symbol. As a precaution, although it’s not necessary, you can create it in Courier (whatever) font and size 12, or whatever font and font size you use to write your scripts. Copy and paste a hashtag from elsewhere, then highlight it and change its font and size to what you use to write scripts. Copy and paste this result as described in step 2.

2. Under the Text tab in the “Replace” column, use the word “hashtag” (or “xyz,” or anything else you wish), then in the “With” column, paste the hashtag symbol you created in the word processing program.

From then on, you write the word “hashtag” (or your code for it) wherever you want the hashtag symbol and your iMac will give you the option of replacing the word “hashtag” with the hashtag symbol you pasted in the “With” column in your Text list.
                    Thanks Tiger I'll give that a go and see.

I'm using Final draft 11 with a 2019 iMac 2019 4k retina. I'm guessing it's just the standard keyboard that came with it.

Comment

Belay my last. I found where the issue lies. Open Final Draft and choose the “Document” tab. Choose “Macros.” There, you will see how Final Draft for Mac treats the function keys. That’s why you get an “I/E” for Opt-3.

Scroll down the list. Opt-0 is open. You can paste your copied hashtag there, or use “Opt-3” and you ought to get a hashtag to enter. This is how you can have a hashtag within Final Draft for Mac. It works in my Final Draft for Mac. If you ever change the “Set Font” for any reason, or each time you open Final Draft, you may or may not need to do this again, IDK, but I hope this solves your problem!

The next time you go out to buy a screenwriting program (the next time Final Draft wants to charge for an upgrade), consider buying Fade In. It allows your Apple keyboard to behave normally, for one thing, and Fade In also exports to .fdx file format (Final Draft), among many others.

Check out how it compares to Final Draft 11 here.

Go to the Fade In Download page. Take it for a test drive on your new (to you) computer. I use it almost exclusively; I like it very well, and so do many others. I believe you’ll like it, too.
                      Last edited by Clint Hill; 07-14-2020, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Belay my last. I found where the issue lies. Open Final Draft and choose the "Document- tab. Choose "Macros.- There, you will see how Final Draft for Mac treats the function keys. That's why you get an "I/E- for Option+3.

Scroll down the list. Opt-0 is open. You can paste your copied hashtag there, or use "Opt-3- and you ought to get a hashtag to enter. This is how you can have a hashtag within Final Draft for Mac. It works in my Final Draft for Mac. If you ever change the "Set Font- for any reason, or each time you open Final Draft, you may or may not need to do this again, IDK, but I hope this solves your problem!

The next time you go out to buy a screenwriting program (the next time Final Draft wants to charge for an upgrade), consider buying Fade In. It allows your Apple keyboard to behave normally, for one thing, and Fade In also exports to .fdx file format (Final Draft), among many others.

Check out how it compares to Final Draft 11 here.

Go to the Fade In Download page. Take it for a test drive on your new (to you) computer. I use it almost exclusively; I like it very well, and so do many others. I believe you'll like it, too.
                        This works a treat. Thanks Tiger

Comment

Working...
                        X