X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coffee
    replied
    Re: Good Notes Cheap

Just sent some material ExtHollywoodDay's way. Looking forward to his notes.

Leave a comment:

• ExtHollywoodDay
    replied

Hi Rhodi-

When folks ask me for notes on something besides a feature, I just try to extrapolate a price as a percentage of the work involved versus reading a feature. So yes, hour pilots are half the feature rate with myself, and I do see them from time to time. Ditto with exotic requests such as web series, miniseries, etc.

I've also been asked to do a book now and again and once someone even wanted notes on a rough cut of a movie.

Best-

-B

Leave a comment:

• Rhodi
    replied

I didn't think I should start a whole new thread for this so I'm piggybacking on this one:

Does anyone have any recommendations for readers that specialize in giving notes on television pilots and series outlines? Or at least one that charges accordingly?

Call me crazy but I don't think I should have to pay full price for coverage on a script half the length of a feature.

Leave a comment:

• ExtHollywoodDay
    replied

Happy 2015, everyone. Glad to have started it off with a new feature consult client. Keep 'em coming.

Spec season's just around the corner...

Best wishes--

B

Leave a comment:

• ExtHollywoodDay
    replied

Thanks, Guy. Hope the rewrite's going well.

Leave a comment:

• gpolin
    replied

I just consulted with Bart--for the first time--over two scripts I wrote last year and was VERY impressed. In fact, I recently tried 3 consultants and he easily bested the other two. Not only were his notes incisive and
    helpful, he taught me something about screenwriting! I didn't care if he liked or disliked my scripts. (I got the impression he found them to be a mixed bag.) If you need someone to like your script, get your mom or a sibling to read it.

All I cared about was whether or not he could help them get better. In that respect I was supremely satisfied. He never gave a single note that was clearly clueless or insulting or had me scratching my head. In other words, very professional. His points always made sense and forced me to consider alternatives.

Leave a comment:

• ExtHollywoodDay
    replied

Don't Jinx me, Chris.

But yes, I've been getting a lot of requests for one of my old comedies.

Leave a comment:

• Pardack
    replied

Congrats: I see you're on the leaderboard on VPF at the moment?

Leave a comment:

• ComicBent
    replied

Folks,

We have three really good script consultants on this board. We decided a long time ago to let them have threads where people could discuss their services.

It is all right, in Bart's thread, to say something nice about Amanda and Robert, or to say something nice about Bart in their threads. It is even all right to compare the work of one of them with that of one of the others, or with some other service.

But please do not come into one their threads and just post a plug for some other service.

Bart did not complain that someone had done this. I just happened to see it.

If you want to post something about, say, your experience with Monkey House Script Consulting, then start a thread and say that you had such-and-such kind of experience with Monkey House.

That is all. As you were ...

Leave a comment:

• ExtHollywoodDay
    replied

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1096914/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1
    Last edited by ExtHollywoodDay; 01-05-2015, 06:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cinemaas
    replied

Bart,

What are some of your credits, if you don't mind me asking? I couldn't find an IMDB page for you.

Leave a comment:

• Presto
    replied
    Helped my script get to the 2012 Nicholl semis

ExtHollywoodDay (Bart) helped my script get to the 2012 Nicholl semis.

Bart gave me excellent notes at a very reasonable price.

He identified some issues that I had not been aware of. I thought the script was as good as I could get it. Bart helped show me where it could be improved.

I should also add that after Bart’s feedback, I sent the revised and improved script to Screenplay Mechanic (EvilRbt here on DD) and ScritpGal. Both provided top notch feedback but the script was (at that point) at a pretty damn good level which made improving it further very tough.

We’re very lucky here on DD having writers/readers with their experience offering their services at these prices. Great service, great value.

Bart’s outstanding guidance helped me to make my script better, the end result: a semis placing (top 129 out of 7197 scripts) in this year’s Nicholl.
    Last edited by Presto; 10-10-2012, 03:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ExtHollywoodDay
    replied

Last edited by ExtHollywoodDay; 01-01-2013, 02:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ExtHollywoodDay
    replied

I've always thought self promotion in this context was a little gauche. So I hope folks will forgive what's been pointed out as my relative quiet...

In part, it's because I've been busy. Story work on three TV shows this year, a polish pass on a movie produced this fall, some work on a possible fiction deal, a rewrite of a feature under option and some web series participation.

With all that going on, I've been getting pretty much exactly the amount of script notes work I could handle in any given month- which was not a ton. (I really do like to keep my turnaround at 2 days.) I think this is a condition that plagues more than one good story analyst... our main career goals always seem to be on the verge of taking over our time.

I seem to have finally hit a lull, though, and rent is gonna stay due. I'll be knocking another $25 off my standing DD discount through the end of 2011, and hope to see new and returning faces to take advantage. I hope that previous testimony continues to speak to the quality and speed of my service. I do appreciate the now many years of continued patronage from regulars and lurkers alike.

Thanks and best wishes-

exthollywoodday(at)aol

Leave a comment:

• ExtHollywoodDay
    replied

Thanks, Tony. Always a pleasant surprise when someone feels the urge to post such praise.

Thanks much.

-B

Leave a comment:

Working...
X