Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War of the Worlds WTF???

Ok, I just finally got to see War of the Worlds in theaters and all I have to say is what the F**k? Seriously, I can't believe how horrible this film was on EVERY level. The acting, the characters, the crappy (and obvious) sets, and the fact that I didn't give a damn about one character in this 100 million waste of money. For the first time (in my opinion) Spielberg has not just let me down, but left me looking back on his previous films wondering if he even visited the set of this monstrous disaster. Seriously, this film was more hokey then half the crap I rent on cinemax at 3 am. I'd actually rather watch the "cable guy" visit the sorority girls to "fix the cable" at 2am. Seriously!

This film just left me bored. It's really bad, when I (a filmmaker) actually check my watch during the film - not once, not twice, but THREE times. I actually looked around the audience and wondered if I just "missed it". I mean, this film was the second worst film I've seen in theaters, the first worst only being "the Sound of Thunder", which I think was the worst piece of trite I've ever seen anywhere.

If this film didn't have Spielberg/Cruise atttached to it there is no way ANYONE would have seen this in theaters. Well, at least an not asked for their money back.

And Tim Robbins. What the hell was that all about????? Who cares? At this point I was hoping the neverending hokiness would at least provide me with a laugh, but no, not even a chuckle.

At this point I actually looked around the theater to see if anyone was enjoying it. Who knows, maybe I just missed the point (ie: character development, enjoyable story, good acting, good sets, above TV power effects, and a friggin point).

In my opinion I'd buy the DVD, only to break it into pieces so no one else would have to see it.

Re: War of the Worlds WTF???

spielberg hit the wall after saving private ryan

Comment

Not to mention the Terminal, set in a shopping mall -- oops, I mean set in an airport terminal.

Comment

Close Encounters - exceptional sci-fi from Speilberg
        Minority Report - excellent sci-fi from Speilberg
        War of the Worlds - excrement sci-fi from Speilberg

This isn't the Howard Johnson's.

Comment

I saw Jurassic Park in the theatre when it came out in 94. I have never felt the need to see it again. If it were on cable late at night I would probably skip over it.

WOTW reminds me of that. A mindless, loud kill-two-hours-of-summer movie. Disposable, but highly profitable. Can't fault Steven for paying the bills.

rockridesva-

The fact that you actually paid money to see A Sound Of Thunder in a theatre (and I don't care if it was a matinee, it's the principle here) exposes such a flaw in your judgement of films that I don't think I can take anything you say seriously anymore.

Comment

She buys, I go. That simple.

Comment

Originally posted by rockridesva
              She buys, I go. That simple.
              Ayep! sympathy bro.
              http://wasitsomethingiwrote.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yes, I agree: BATMAN BEGINS was horrible on every level.

Oops. Wrong thread.

Comment

Originally posted by whitenavel
                  Minority Report - excellent sci-fi from Speilberg
                  I saw it again a couple months ago, and it was even worse than the first two times I saw it. Amazing opinions seem split on it. I wouldn't save the negative from a rain shower

Comment

Batman Begins makes War of the Worlds look like Casablanca.

Comment

Yeah, this split-opinion stuff re: WOTW is fascinating. Personally, and despite its flaws (Tim "I'm Here To Exposit" Robbins, obvious sound stage work, feel-good ending), I really loved the movie.

I grant you I saw only a handful of films this summer, but this ranks high on my list.

Comment

Working...
                      X