No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Layer Cake

Originally posted by Deus Ex Machine
    This movie had a very strong "been there-done that-and hated it the first time" feeling to it.
    Then why, pray tell, did you watch it again?
    http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Because I lack the psychic ability to know what a movie is going to be so I have to use the traditional method of watching it.
      Fortune favors the bold - Virgil

Comment

I loathe romantic comedies and can usually tell from a movie poster or trailer that a film is a romantic comedy, so I avoid them. A British guy holding a firearm wasn't enough for you to figure out this was a Brit gang movie? How about the fact that it was directed by a producer of Lock, Stock, and ... and Snatch?

Comment

It wasn't the fact that it was a British gangster movie. I like those kinds of movies, which is why I rented Layered Cake. But the characters and plotting were very derivative and uninspired. There's no way I could predict that would be the case based on the people involved or the subject matter. Did you expect it to have clichéd characters and nonsensical contrived plotting based on the people involved and the subject matter? And if so - why did you see it?
          Fortune favors the bold - Virgil

Comment

I was very underwhelmed by this one. I liked "Snatch" but "Layer Cake" just felt derivative and over-complicated. I never cared about any of the characters. And I have no idea why people think Siena Miller can act. She was completely forgettable.

I also would have preferred the alternate ending rather than the melodramatic one that was used.
            You're a mighty master of minutia. Your enemies fear you.

Comment

Originally posted by OkeyDokey
              And I have no idea why people think Siena Miller can act. She was completely forgettable.
              I don't think people are watching her for her acting. Or maybe that's just me.

Ele...

Comment

Originally posted by OkeyDokey
                I was very underwhelmed by this one. I liked "Snatch" but "Layer Cake" just felt derivative and over-complicated. I never cared about any of the characters. And I have no idea why people think Siena Miller can act. She was completely forgettable.

I also would have preferred the alternate ending rather than the melodramatic one that was used.
                sorry i never heard that sienna can act. shes just very pretty and thats all she needs to be in this movie.

Comment

I don't believe I've ever heard anyone call Sienna Miller a good actress, so I couldn't say where people get the idea -- or even who these people are who have that idea. I've never encountered them.

But she was absolutely fine in this movie. It wasn't a role that called for Meryl Streep.

Comment

What puzzles me is why she keeps getting cast. There's plenty of other pretty actresses around.
                    You're a mighty master of minutia. Your enemies fear you.

Comment

She looks gorgeous on screen, IMO. But if you've ever seen everyday tabloid pics, there's a lot left to be desired.

Ele...

Comment

Originally posted by Deus Ex Machine
                        Did you expect it to have clichéd characters and nonsensical contrived plotting based on the people involved and the subject matter? And if so - why did you see it?
                        I wasn't bothered at all by the characters or the plotting. I expected to be entertained and I was. Perhaps my expectations from gangster movies are lower than yours. I didn't expect to see anything new and apart from the lovely copter shot of the RS4 screaming up the drive to the country club, I didn't.

Comment

Gangster films? Check out 'The Long Good Friday'.
                          "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

I thought the plot was kind of throwaway but there were enough decent moments to keep me interested. Camera work shone throughout and i loved the character of "The Duke". No one can do the utterly clueless tossbag persona quite like the british.
                            Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

I really liked this flick. I wasn't bored by it at all. I found the multiple plots engaging, and not hard to follow. I really liked the aspect of the gang movie they took with this. Someone who didn't want to be a part of the violence but had to be. it's a theme I've written about myself, so I may be biased.

Comment

Working...
                              X