Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiting

From the trailers, this looks to be the equivalent of an unfunny SNL sketch stretched out into a feature.

The jokes in the trailers are lame (who hasn't seen a "spit in your food" joke? Not to mention that it looks to be absurdly overdone) it has no legitimate names, and the concept looks to have limited appeal.

Does this thing even have a story?

Anyone seen it? I'm imagining it's just a bunch of cheap gags and cliched toilet humor.
    "Tact's just 'not saying true stuff.' " - Cordelia Chase

Re: Waiting

i saw it at a press screening. I can't say I didn't laugh here and there but yeah, this film's been sitting under the heat lamp awhile. Probably about ten years, since that's when the script was written. It feels like a 1995 Kevin Smith spinoff. The character are really trite... hard-talking wiggers, the hot lesbian, the nice guy hero, yeah you get the picture. So none of the characters come off as real people. There's something wrong with me because I thought Andy Milonakis was funny, but most likely he will annoy the doodie out of you. You've been warned.

What really irks me about this film is that they released that behind-the-scenes video of Luis Guzman being a prick to the director to stir up some interest for the film. I-film has it up to watch...nice marketing ploy, Lion's Gate. Try harder next time.
    Ever thus to deadbeats.

Comment

I really wanted to see this, having worked in that type of restaurant for several years while in college. A lot of it is very real. Trust me.
      But the word of mouth and reviews have panned it viciously. So I might have to "wait" for video on this one. Unless I sneak into it after another flick.

This isn't the Howard Johnson's.

Comment

Hell, I worked at TGIFriday's for 8 years. It doesn't get worse than that.

But, that doesn't mean I want to see a movie with the same lame gags I saw at work everyday.

Then again, I haven't seen it.

Looks like a renter, but only if someone else pays.

Comment

But, that doesn't mean I want to see a movie with the same lame gags I saw at work everyday.
          I can understand that. But I do. I want to remember those fun, yet awful times. We totally used to try to hook up with the cute hostesses until we found out they were still in high school.
          I worked at Chili's for 8 years. That's worse than TGIFs.

The film had a good premise, but the execution doesn't look good.

Comment

I've worked at both.

NOTHING is worse that TGIFriday's.

NOTHING.

The suspenders, the flair, the singing, the "Wowing," the stripes, the brainwashed managers...ugh.

Office Space touched on it a bit.

Comment

Opty, I was at TGI-Fu*kmes Just last weekend -- NO MORE FLAIR!!!!!

The company is actively DISCOURAGING flair now. It's passe.

Comment

I know, Dave. They're not simply "discouraging" it. They got rid of flair (for the FOH, at least) in '01. That's when they got rid of stripes (our red and white striped uniforms), too. The company has shifted its focus and is trying to be a tad more "upscale."

Which, for Friday's, is an oxymoron. Some of the franchises still do some flair, but corporate doesn't really do it as much anymore.

Anyway, back to the flick, anyone seen it?

Comment

What really irks me about this film is that they released that behind-the-scenes video of Luis Guzman being a prick to the director to stir up some interest for the film. I-film has it up to watch...nice marketing ploy, Lion's Gate. Try harder next time.
                  Turns out it was a joke on the director. Ifilm also has the punk'd outcome.

Comment

Why was Guzman angry with the director?

Did the director say "Hey, give me the exact same performance you have given in every other movie you have ever been in."

Comment

TGIFridays/screenwriter/Waiting

I'm writing this post on a computer about 500 feet away from the TGIFridays where the screenwriter/producer of Waiting worked in Orlando FL. I may go in there just to see what it's like. The street is lined with every fast food/chain store/strip mall/BS you can think of. I rarely eat in those type of places. I ate in a Ruby Tuesdays in western PA about 5mo and it was God awful! How these chain places stay in business is way beyond me. I also ate lunch in a local Red Lobster and the shrimp were about 1/3 the size of the shrimp I ate in Red Lobster 3/4 years ago. Yuck!
                      I'd rather get bank credit, than screen credit.

Comment

Working...
                      X