Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snyder cut Justice League

Has anyone here seen this version yet? How did it compare? Did you love it or hate it?

I love talking about this movie. Reading about it. Listening to podcasts about it. Talking about it with you. But I never actually want to see it. It's better that way for me.

Nothing makes LESS sense to me than to have a director's cut of a movie most people didn't even like and it's 90 minutes longer. That's hilarious to me.

I haven't watched The Irishman yet because it was too long and I forgot. Like what Amy and Tina said at Golden Globes is so right. I can watch 5 episodes of 1 hour TV but a 2 hour movie -- forget it. And I'm a screenwriter.

Comment

I've read a few of the articles about it, but I would never watch it. I'd have to be tied down and forced Clockwork Orange style.

I'm not opposed to long movies in general. I've seen An Elephant Sitting Still, Che (Steven Soderbergh version), and Nymphomaniac all at the theater. Che and Nymphomaniac did have an intermission though.

Comment

I saw it, and I cried at the end because I was glad that Zack Snyder got his vision out to the public, despite his personal tragedy, and I understand because I had those feelings his daughter had. It's the same film from 2017, but the 242 minute cut gives it depth and nuance in the character development department. Anything that wasn't Snyder's work (Joss Whedon's name is mud nowadays) in the 120 minute cut was non-existent, and the total work's better off (why would Russian civilians be in a radioactive hotspot in the first place?). I'm also surprised that it was racially diverse (Ray Fisher's a wonder as Cyborg) and pro-feminist (the Amazons defying the villain Steppenwolf with the cry "We have no fear!") without being overbearing (Again, Joss Whedon's name is mud).

I never understood the animus against Snyder for posing the question: can Superman exist in a post Sept. 11 world? That's a good question because, between the attacks and where we are as a nation right now, there's a lot of ugly **** you can't walk away from. Sure, a lot of people of adore the Marvel Cinematic Universe and appreciate their escapism, but I agree with Martin Scorsese that they're not cinema that speaks to the zeitgeist. They're just product. Even Black Panther, which got an Oscar nomination for best picture, due to cosmetic shallowness (I'm black, and I've been reading comic books for a long time without feeling excluded). Why wasn't director Ryan Coogler or the late Chadwick Boseman nominated at least for their work?

It may be premature, but Zack Snyder's Justice League may be the best comic book movie around because it appreciates the medium of the comic book (complimenting Zack's other superhero work, "Watchmen", "Man Of Steel," and "Batman v. Superman) while talking about the human condition (fear, loneliness, individualism, self-sacrifice, love, family, friendship, understanding). This is art, yo, and, like Pike Bishop from "The Wild Bunch" (Snyder and Sam Peckinpah both know how to deconstruct genres), I wouldn't have it any other way.
        Last edited by Madbandit; 03-27-2021, 04:38 AM.
        "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

My favorite parts of Man of Steel was 1. The trailer and music 2. Kevin Costner 3. Russell Crowe... I loved them in that movie. And the idea was very cool. But it just didn't quite work the rest of it to me.

My favorite one growing up was Superman II -- still love that end scene with Zod.

Current ones -- Iron Man and any Tony Stark. He's amazing character.

I like my super hero movies to be hopeful. I want to live in a better world where Superman throws our weapons into the sun like in part 4. Lame, but that's what comic books should be to me.

Why does it always have to be the end of the world?

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
            I saw it, and I cried at the end because I was glad that Zack Snyder got his vision out to the public, despite his personal tragedy, and I understand because I had those feelings his daughter had. It's the same film from 2017, but the 242 minute cut gives it depth and nuance in the character development department. Anything that wasn't Snyder's work (Joss Whedon's name is mud nowadays) in the 120 minute cut was non-existent, and the total work's better off (why would Russian civilians be in a radioactive hotspot in the first place?). I'm also surprised that it was racially diverse (Ray Fisher's a wonder as Cyborg) and pro-feminist (the Amazons defying the villain Steppenwolf with the cry "We have no fear!") without being overbearing (Again, Joss Whedon's name is mud).

I never understood the animus against Snyder for posing the question: can Superman exist in a post Sept. 11 world? That's a good question because, between the attacks and where we are as a nation right now, there's a lot of ugly **** you can't walk away from. Sure, a lot of people of adore the Marvel Cinematic Universe and appreciate their escapism, but I agree with Martin Scorcese that they're not cinema that speaks to the zeitgeist. They're just product. Even Black Panther, which got an Oscar nomination for best picture, due to cosmetic shallowness (I'm black, and I've been reading comic books for a long time without feeling excluded). Why wasn't director Ryan Coogler or the late Chadwick Boseman nominated at least for their work?

It may be premature, but Zack Snyder's Justice League may be the best comic book movie around because it appreciates the medium of the comic book (complimenting Zack's other superhero work, "Watchmen", "Man Of Steel," and "Batman v. Superman) while talking about the human condition (fear, loneliness, individualism, self-sacrifice, love, family, friendship, understanding). This is art, yo, and, like Pike Bishop from "The Wild Bunch" (Snyder and Sam Peckinpah both know how to deconstruct genres), I wouldn't have it any other way.
            I haven't seen this yet but I just had to quote for giving a shout out to The Wild Bunch. That's one of my all time favorite movies. Anyway, I've been tired of the superhero thing for a while now but I might give this a try.

Comment

I agree Iron Man is great.

To me nothing compares to Nolan's Batman trilogy. All 3 of them are absolutely amazing, especially the first two. Before that superhero movies all seemed pretty formulaic to me. It's quite strange that Nolan never won an Oscar for Begins or Dark Knight. The Dark Knight is not only the best superhero movie ever, it's one of probably the 10 greatest movies I've ever seen. Just look at a movie like Parasite that won best picture, and compare it to the Dark Knight. To me there's no comparison. Dark Knight is one of the greatest cinematic achievements ever, from the writing to the acting, to Zimmer's music, to the cinematography, the costume design, and then obviously the directing.

The Dark Knight wasn't even nominated for Best Picture, but years later, Black Panther was. Which is inferior on every single categorical level of artistry.

Comment

There seems to be a black and white version of the Snyder Cut available as well. From what I have read, black and white was Zack's original vision with this film like Darabont's The Mist.
                How does everyone feel about black and white if done well?

Comment

Originally posted by Darthclaw13 View Post
                  Has anyone here seen this version yet? How did it compare? Did you love it or hate it?
                  Saw it. Really good. The last hour when it comes together.
                  Glad to see Zack Snyder not giving up. And making a decent long flim.
                  He had a tough life.

Comment

I knew he lost a child. Something I can sadly relate too in my own way.

I was surprised to recently learn he has 7 other children. The joke there is he likes everything too long and too big. Kids, movies.

Found this just now:

Zack has eight children. Four of them are adopted and four are from relationships with a couple of different women. In 2017, his daughter, Autumn, who had been just over a year old when he and ex-wife Denise Weber adopted her, died by suicide. It was a tragedy that prompted Zack to add her favorite song to Justice League and dedicate the director's cut of the movie to her as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X