No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serenity

*yawn*

If the show was as boring as the film, no wonder it was axed. It's an interesting premise (Space Western), but I don't think Whedon had the directing chops needed to pull it off.

I'm sure that's blasphemous to you crazed BUFFY and ANGEL fans, but so be it....

Re: Serenity

What ever happened to Michael Bay reading your script, MacG?
    Twitter: @WriterLe

Comment

Is that a sly jab or a geniune inquiry? I need an emoticon, White Album! Help me out!

Well, in either case, the script(s) I had at Bay Films never got past the CE...but not for his lack of trying to pass them to Michael. In summer of '04, THE ISLAND was fast tracked and, as a result, MB refused to read or hear pitches of new material. From what I understand, that was the case all the way through post...until he was presented TRANSFORMERS by Spielberg and DreamWorks.

And although nothing official has been announced in the trades and, according to my old manager, who was talking to Bay's CE, it was all contingent on his liking the script, it's all but known that's his next film.

So there ya have it!

Comment

Wait. Is your script "all but known as his next film" or is Transformers? Or is Transformers your script?

I don't know. I never ask this stuff. I spend too much time yapping about Lost and Arrested Development.

Ele...

Comment

Interesting, enjoyable film that tried to be more than it had to be. It was too cool for it's own good, I think. But whatever, I still liked it in the theater. Might get the dvd in the used rack at Blockbuster (if they ever update the damn thing).

Comment

The best Stocking Stuffer you can ask for...
            R.K. Bentley
            My Blog, My Design Studio
            "Little hand says it's time to rock an' roll." - Hot Fuzz.

Comment

Originally posted by MacG
              Is that a sly jab or a geniune inquiry? I need an emoticon, White Album! Help me out!

Well, in either case, the script(s) I had at Bay Films never got past the CE...but not for his lack of trying to pass them to Michael. In summer of '04, THE ISLAND was fast tracked and, as a result, MB refused to read or hear pitches of new material. From what I understand, that was the case all the way through post...until he was presented TRANSFORMERS by Spielberg and DreamWorks.

So there ya have it!
              Hmm, interesting. It's weird, people like Michael Bay generally don't self-impose a black-out to hearing new pitches and ideas, no matter how busy they are because it's their job to be in the loop with the best material floating around town -- ESPECIALLY when those hot ideas are brought to him by his trusted team. Even is Bay is too busy to direct a script, he can still produce it if he loved it.

Oh well, perhaps your script was just a victim of circumstance? And the fact that you didn't like SERENITY too -- gosh, hope next year is better for you.
              Twitter: @WriterLe

Comment

Originally posted by elephant1978
                Wait. Is your script "all but known as his next film" or is Transformers? Or is Transformers your script?

I don't know. I never ask this stuff. I spend too much time yapping about Lost and Arrested Development.

Ele...
                I wish, Ele! No, sadly my script is not TRANSFORMERS, nor is my script his next film....

Comment

Originally posted by The White Album
                  Hmm, interesting. It's weird, people like Michael Bay generally don't self-impose a black-out to hearing new pitches and ideas, no matter how busy they are because it's their job to be in the loop with the best material floating around town -- ESPECIALLY when those hot ideas are brought to him by his trusted team. Even is Bay is too busy to direct a script, he can still produce it if he loved it.

Oh well, perhaps your script was just a victim of circumstance? And the fact that you didn't like SERENITY too -- gosh, hope next year is better for you.
                  Please keep in mind this is all second-hand information, coming from my former manager who was in talks with Bay's CE...but I trusted (and still trust) my old rep and if he said this is what went down, I have no reason to doubt him.

But, yes, it is weird.

HOWEVER, keep in mind what a rushed job THE ISLAND was. MB usually takes 2-3 years between projects to develop them. This one had to come together -- from revised script to screen -- in about 14 months. So I guess it's not too bizarre to think he didn't want to think about anything else.

As for Bay producing: my manager inquired about that with my last project, which was a genre MB had never tackled before. Again, from what I understand, my manager was told that Michael has only recently gotten the power to produce -- or co-produce -- his own films (and the pics thru Platinum Dunes....) and, as such, is veeeeery choosy about what he attaches his name to, especially if he's not directing, as well.

So there's the whole saga for ya!

Thanks for the kind wishes, re: next year! Yes, I hope it's a better one for me, too, on all fronts! (And I extend that to all my struggling writer bretheren on these boards....)

Comment

SERENITY is a lovely movie that deserved far greater success and if Bay was making THE ISLAND then, far from refusing to look at NEW ideas, he should have been begging for any and all GOOD ideas ... any or all which he should've used immediately to salvage THE ISLAND.

And good luck to EVERYONE here, in the coming New Year.
                    sigpic
                    "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
                    that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
                    -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

Originally posted by MacG
                      I don't think Whedon had the directing chops needed to pull it off.
                      I respectfully and completely disagree, and it's not only because I am a "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel" fan.

The fact that someone can think "Into the Blue" is a more enjoyable film then "Serenity" is beyond my realm of understanding.

Comment

Whedon did an amazing job of choosing payoffs to the various unresolved plot and character issues from the series, leaving a few hanging just in case. He also resisted what must have been a strong urge to overexplain what had happened in the time gap between the end of the series and beginning of the film, although a whole lot had transpired. I saw Serenity before ever watching one second of Firefly, and immediately put all of the discs on my Netflix queue. The series transcends the budget and the genre, and the movie doesn't disappoint.

Comment

I loved it. And on the commentary on the DVD Whedon talks a lot about what was left out (shown in the Deleted Scenes) and what was added in to meke the story better. He said it was the hardest thing he's ever written because he had to bring newcomers up to speed with the characters and backstory while not boring or alienating the existing fans. As a wannabe writer I found it very interesting to hear how it all came together. Plus, bloopers: Funny.

Comment

Originally posted by j over
                            The fact that someone can think "Into the Blue" is a more enjoyable film then "Serenity" is beyond my realm of understanding.
                            I'm happy to boggle your mind, j over....

Comment

Watched it and thought it sucked the big one. I didn't care for the characters or their mission/plight. YAWNNNNNN
                              "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

Working...
                              X