The Many Saints Of Newark (no spoilers yet)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
    Also, young Tony talking to the school counselor seemed like an attempt at establishing an early therapy session for him (with an authoritative woman who recognized the importance of his mother's role!).
    Good point. Probably would have landed harder with me if I'd gone to see it in the theaters. Also, it felt like Vera F. (intentionally?) was bringing as much or more Edie Falco to her Livia as Nancy Marchand, maybe playing up the Odepial complex subplot?

Comment

I've probably watched ten episodes of the show, spread out over twenty years. I've read more about it than I've actually seen.

I don't know what you call Many Saints, but to me it's not a movie in the narrative cinema sense of the word. It's like an extended flashback or a two-hour special prequel episode. It doesn't stand on its own.

There was an interview with Brian Cox of Succession in this Sunday's NY Times Magazine and one of the things he loves about television is it's all middle or second act - not sure what term he actually used. Many Saints to me is all middle/second act as well.

Comment

Also I think the ending of the Saints, is pretty clearly designed to give us the answer to the Sopranos finale. I thought it was pretty clear back then (people still arguing over it which is what makes it fun to me!), but the parallels seem clear to me.

How one character met their end in the movie, is pretty much the same way another character in the tv show met their end (off screen) in my mind.

Now I want onion rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
          Also I think the ending of the Saints, is pretty clearly designed to give us the answer to the Sopranos finale. I thought it was pretty clear back then (people still arguing over it which is what makes it fun to me!), but the parallels seem clear to me.

How one character met their end in the movie, is pretty much the same way another character in the tv show met their end (off screen) in my mind.

Now I want onion rings.
          You really want to do this to me? 😆

For all of the alleged breakdowns - and some are quite good and interesting and compelling - I've never bought it.

I know Chase said "the death scene" or whatever a few years ago, but that read like a slip of the tongue. And sure I know Taylor thinks he was shot. And people also think that Chase saying "it's all there" means "the clues are there that he's dead" but I took that as having a very different meaning. "It's all there" literally just means, everything that happened, happened. It's in the text. There is NOTHING else. He doesn't live but he doesn't die either. That doesn't matter. The story is done. And absolutely, that WILL happen at some point. But it isn't there and then, necessarily. It is certainly meant to evoke that and of course I'm well aware of all the Sopranos Home Movies stuff. But I don't see it and I don't think Chase would ever do what people suggest in that final scene. But I think it is waaaay more of an optimistic (and not nihilistic) ending than people read into it.

Chase's breakdown of the final scene for the DGA is awesome. And to me the most definitive rebuke to the death truthers.
          https://www.dga.org/Craft/DGAQ/All-A...-Sopranos.aspx

Comment

We can all agree AJ died though right???

Comment

As someone who knew kids who had fathers who were made members or associates of the Philly mob, AJ was one sopping wet [email protected] The kids I knew were pretty frigin crazy and had no fear of anything. Yes, more than half are dead now but AJ’s character was pretty soft as sons to mob bosses go.

Comment

Working...
              X