Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not What We Expected

Those of us reading and posting at DDP have a better understanding of structure and genre than a standard person viewing a film.

What are some films that surprised you in terms of structure or genre or arrangement or casting or whatever that were not what you were expecting?

A Wonderful Life. I never saw it until 2 years ago. I always assumed it would be 2 hours of a guy who wants to die and a ghost shows him that he should live. But I think that part happens so much later than you'd think it would. It's like at the "wiff of death part of the story." I was thinking it would be more Scrooged in structure.

Comment

Star Trek VI... the last one with the original cast.

After a while I'm thinking "this is actually a murder-mystery with Spock as Sherlock Holmes!"

Comment

Originally posted by RogerOThornhill View Post
        What are some films that surprised you in terms of structure or genre or arrangement or casting or whatever that were not what you were expecting?
        Parasite, and not in a good way

Comment

The Red Violin (1998), (except for Jackson’s intermittent yelling/acting style). The multi-layered execution of exploring the premise of the history and life of a famed, centuries-old violin is a rich tapestry to behold and deftly delivered in only two hours and ten minutes. A gem not to be missed.

Amélie (2001) This is a cute love story told in a novel way. The rollicking pace as the film cuts between its several examples of love stories leaves no room for one to be bored. Well done.

Each of the previously mentioned films gives the viewer several stories supporting each main story.

The 12th Man (2017). Whoa. A gripping tale based on a true story. The suspense of the wounded main character evading capture by Nazis is all that’s needed to hold a viewer in its grip. The use of several dream sequences in succession was surprising and surprisingly effective. This is done in more than one scene, Each time it was always realistic, and it was always a surprise to recognize that the director fooled one into believing it was happening in the story.
          Last edited by Clint Hill; 11-22-2021, 11:21 AM.
          “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

After a while I'm thinking "this is actually a murder-mystery with Spock as Sherlock Holmes!"
            I'm sorry you're breaking up.

Break her apart then!

- Sulu for the win!!!

Comment

Leonard "Bones" McCoy is basically Dr. Watson then.
              "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

I'm thinking Bones was in prison with Kirk, but yes, one of the crew played Watson allowing Spock to make observations out loud and explain everything.

Comment

It was an action / mystery for sure, but Spock didn't figure much out -- he cheated with his Vulcan mind trick. I think Scotty founds the boots and Kirk and Spock both pretended set a trap for Kim Cattrall...

Man I love the first group so much!

Comment

My Best Friend's Wedding.

Is Jules (Julia Roberts) the protagonist or antagonist???? I think it could be argued either direction.

Comment

Memento

Comment

Duplicate in error.
                        Last edited by finalact4; 11-27-2021, 08:44 AM. Reason: duplicated by accident
                        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

weird goings on... duplicate again.
                          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

8MM (1999), starring Nicolas Cage, Joaquin Phoenix. The premise scares the bejesus out of me.
                            “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Films all have structure. There are films that have subverted my expectations. Movies that come to mind:

Gone Girl
                              Memento
                              Titanic
                              Vantage Point
                              Crash
                              Syriana
                              Babel
                              Inception

Comment

Working...
                              X