Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Look Up

Writer/Director Adam McKay hits a home run out of the ballpark with an all-star cast and intelligent satire about modern media manipulation in Don't Look Up (2021). It’s tons of movie fun! (no kidding) Available now on Netflix.
    Last edited by Clint Hill; 12-30-2021, 06:52 PM.
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

This is really clever and a lot of fun. The acting is terrific, too.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

The worst kind of condescending tripe. Adam is the smartest, just ask his art. The whole was far less than the sum of its parts.

Comment

It had its moments that were funny. I loved DiCaprio's accent. He usually does not play the smart scientist in a movie.

Comment

I was underwhelmed. It runs 2 hours and 25 minutes essentially making the same point for an hour longer than necessary.

Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

I’m very amenable to the idea of punching down on stupid people, especially given the last two years. I love Borat. Stuff like that. But this was as subtle as a sledgehammer.

Comment

I love how everyone is talking in movie blurbs like it's a 1987 Newspaper with the movie poster in a full page ad.

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                I was underwhelmed. It runs 2 hours and 25 minutes essentially making the same point for an hour longer than necessary.
                It did become repetitive at one point; it could have been great as a 2-hour movie.
                “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

I expected more, maybe something subtler or something funnier or something more dramatic

I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Show's how tough it is to execute a good story. You had DiCaprio, Lawrence and Adam McKay writer/director. Three talented, creative people who put out something that is long and a B- movie. It's hard to nail an idea on paper. That's why it's so hard to get read, agents/managers/producers know its hard to do too and the chances of one of those unsolicited pitches has an executed script behind it is probably closer to 0% than it is 1%.

I start movies all the time that I give up on after 20 minutes. I started Humans last night. I watched for 20 minutes as this family just kinda chit-chatted with each each other. I fell asleep on it. It got like a 93 on Rotten Tomatoes so something interesting must happen eventually but I couldn't get passed that first 20 min.

Comment

I watched it last night and thought the first 20 minutes were really fun. But then it stalled out somewhere and became repetitive. I liked Meryl Streep and Jonah Hill's characters a lot, Jennifer Lawrence worked in her role. I didn't think Leo worked in his -- that character would have been better played by a more nebbish guy, like Adam Scott. Oh yeah, I also like the Laura Ingraham character. Made me chuckle.

Overall, I enjoyed it. I didn't love it.

Comment

I bored quickly on this one and bailed early on. Just not for me.

Comment

So to sum up.... DON'T LOOK UP... from your iPhone as you watch...

Comment

I wanted to like it, but gave up after an hour. I thought it was too boring, labored and predictable. It's certainly generated a lot of debate, though, which is good. It certainly benefited from being on Netflix, as I suspect it would have disappeared without a trace if released in theatres.
                            TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Originally posted by hscope View Post
                              I wanted to like it, but gave up after an hour. I thought it was too boring, labored and predictable. It's certainly generated a lot of debate, though, which is good. It certainly benefited from being on Netflix, as I suspect it would have disappeared without a trace if released in theatres.
                              Yes, I think it would have been a bomb at the box office. I've polled friends and family who watched it, and about half bailed after the first hour.

I liked it more than most people, and I didn't love it. I found it watchable.

Comment

Working...
                              X