Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tragedy of Macbeth

Joel Coen + Shakespeare + Denzel and Frances McDormand = no brainer. Completely faithful to the text, no accommodations are made for modern viewers who might need a more accessible version. But unlike one of Branagh's fully grounded adaptations, the staging and filming of the Scottish Play here is minimal and abstract (in black and white). Which, for a play that is fully drenched in blood and murder, makes for a weirdly chilly and bloodless version. When action does come, in short bursts, it's appropriately brutal and visceral. The rest of the British cast do solid work in bringing the lines to life and giving us the appropriate subtext, even when Shakespeare's text may not translate to our modern tongues.

I’m such a mouthbreather. There’s no chance I could get through this. Feel like I have PTSD from high school. It’s a shame because it’s an amazing ensemble behind and in front of the camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
      I’m such a mouthbreather. There’s no chance I could get through this. Feel like I have PTSD from high school. It’s a shame because it’s an amazing ensemble behind and in front of the camera.
      I haven't read Macbeth since high school either but the actors are so well-trained in Shakespeare (and Coen is Coen) that your rarely at a loss for following the plot even letting the language kind of wash over you -- but even then, 90% of the time they give a reading that reveals the emotional beat. It wasn't a slog (imo)

Comment

Shakespeare. The original reboot. This is the 100th movie about Macbeth. How exciting!

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
          The rest of the British cast do solid work in bringing the lines to life and giving us the appropriate subtext, even when Shakespeare's text may not translate to our modern tongues.
          I'll watch this if the dialogue is understandable to my American English ear, as you suggest. Original Shakespear is impossible to understand for me and most people I believe. Original Shakespear is a foreign language.

Comment

Working...
          X