Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bono View Post
    I do not like these bio pics in general. The last one made me cringe and yet they do well, win Oscars and make money.
    Personally, I enjoy bio pics if they are done well and/or are about a person I am interested in knowing more about.

I am still waiting for a bio pic about Bill Bixby with Hugh Jackman playing him.

Bono, who would you like to see a bio pic about?

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Hill View Post
      ...I submit that you are not a screenwriter, and that you have no connection to Hollywood screenwriting. How do know this?

No one who wants to work in the Hollywood filmmaking industry would go to such great lengths to trash-talk projects already made and on the market in hopes they tank.

You seem to want to foment a depressed box-office opening for the films you despise by second-guessing professionals with more experience.
      I don't work in Hollywood and never will — but if I did, am I supposed to just shut up (self censor myself) if I don't like a movie? I don't get it. Are Hollywood movie makers' skins really that thin?

This movie is one I definitely won't be seeing — the trailer was enough for me. The "Elvis" in this movie just looks "off," kind of like a wax museum version of Elvis.
      STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Centos View Post
        I don't work in Hollywood and never will — but if I did, am I supposed to just shut up (self censor myself) if I don't like a movie? I don't get it. Are Hollywood movie makers' skins really that thin?
        Yes, their skins can be incredibly thin. Also, there is a difference between an informed, educated, experienced & respectful opinion vs. just any opinion off the street.

Will
        Done Deal Pro
        www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darthclaw13 View Post

Bono, who would you like to see a bio pic about?
          Jim Varney aka Ernest.

Working Title: Ernest Goes To The Oscars

Comment

In general, I'd rarther watch a documentary or real footage of the real people vs watching an actor do their best impression of them and recreate things I can watch the real thing instantly on youtube. I don't get that.

Many biopics are just that -- remember this thing? Well we are going to do that with actors the exact same way? Isn't that exciting? Not to me.

But then there are movies like All That Jazz which is I love.

Or Glory as it's about people from so long ago and it's mostly fiction using some real people's names.

But sometimes that still goes wrong -- am I the only one who didn't like Lincoln? I guess so.

In general, I much prefer stories to be "ripped from the headlines" or "based on real people" than exact copies.

Or based on people that are not super famous like the characters in Stand and Deliver and Lean on Me. To me those are more interesting than pure biopics.

And I am not a fan of movies about events that just happened. For instance, all those 9/11 movies, I didn't watch as I just lived it, so I didn't get why I'd want to see those movies for many reasons. Same with any political movies. I find a movie about a current even that I just saw for real to be very boring.

Like most of us watched Tiger King during early pandemic, but there is or was a show on it and does anyone care? We have the real thing? I don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
              In general, I'd rarther watch a documentary or real footage of the real people vs watching an actor do their best impression of them and recreate things I can watch the real thing instantly on youtube. I don't get that.
              You don't get that some stories lend themselves better to a narrative than a doc? A documentary about Mark Z. would be more interesting to you than The Social Network? Archival footage of Jake LaMotta on YouTube is more appealing to you than Raging Bull?

Ed Wood, Milk, Serpico; I could go on. Dramatizing a life can often be more engaging, powerful, and visceral than documentary footage.

I do agree that too often biopics become stunt impressions or feel like timely gimmicks. I don't have a lot of interest in seeing 'Elvis', but I wouldn't discount it just because it's a dramatization.

Comment

The Social Network is a great movie, but that's not the biopics I'm talking about.

I'm talking about those lazy biopics that often is basically their life A to Z, recreating famous scene. I love Andy Kaufman. But I didn't care much for Man on the Moon. He was doing a flawless impression, but for some reason that just made it worse to me. It's like on SNL, some people can do perfect impressions, but that's less interesting to me than "a take" like the way Dana Carvey would do the first Bush.

And that is what it is to me. Give me a take on the character, even if they are famous.

Obviously there are plenty of great movies that would be called bio pics that I do love, just in general, I'm not like I can't wait to see a movie about this famous person simply because I recognize the name! A lot of one word titles and I'm like I have zero desiere to see that movie. Vice! comes to mind. I wanted to forget those years, not watch them again.

Speaking of Sorkin, I loved his Steve Jobs movie which was the most creative of the Jobs movies that came out. To each his own. I prefer Young Guns (based on a real person) version of the biopic every time. Ha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLIAp5nr0q0 (I have watched this Queen Live Aid performance many many many times over the years. The movie recreating to me was borderline SNL sketch. The real thing is much much much better.)

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Hill View Post
                  WRITERRIVERS (btw, what's with the all-caps “shouting”?): You claim to be a screenwriter (why else would you visit here?), but you repeatedly denigrate upcoming films whose talent above and below the line exceed anything you've created.

I submit that you are not a screenwriter, and that you have no connection to Hollywood screenwriting. How do know this?

No one who wants to work in the Hollywood filmmaking industry would go to such great lengths to trash-talk projects already made and on the market in hopes they tank.

You seem to want to foment a depressed box-office opening for the films you despise by second-guessing professionals with more experience.

Q.Who is it that you fantasize will hire you in any capacity for a film they want to produce?

Here's the answer: no one.
                  Hi,
                  I did not know THanks was in this movie. I walked out of it last week. I like the style but it's too late.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faCc0ePdgXQ

Video is nonsense, but the speech is great Elvis.

Comment

Working...
                    X